89 YJ Sahara 4.2 Engine missing parts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 YJ Sahara 4.2 Engine missing parts

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-07-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
Monohm
1989 YJ Wrangler 

89 YJ Sahara 4.2 Engine missing parts

Hi, my name is Alberto, this is my first post here. Recently bought a Sahara Edition YJ 89. It has a 3 speed automatic transmission. I did a trip of about 700 Miles from the city that I bought it. At the beginning I was at 1700 meter over the sea level, went almost 3.000 meter over the sea level where I felt a total loss of power, even at full trothle it didn't raised more than 2.500 rpm. I'm at sea level right now... when going lower the engine was feeling too much powerful and now it seems to run like a dragster. The bad thing is that the fuel consumption is too high. During the trip the floor was getting really hot, under the rear seat on the right side the paint looks burned and the carpet a little melted, the RR wheel well is melted...

So after the trip I've been reading a lot about this engine and found that there are a lot of things that have been replaced and removed. I will like to have this engine working as it should and as stock as possible.

To start with, there are two hose connections under the air cleaner base, found those openings without hose or plugs, completely open to the atmosphere. Some Wires are hanging out, some vacuum hoses disconnected, don't know if the PCV valves are the right ones, the heater hoses are not in place, and at the thermostat housing it seems to be a plug sealing where one of those hoses should be connected. There is a Vacuum reservoir under the battery that only has one hose connected, the other one under the water reservoir seems to be with all the hoses connected.
Where the exhaust pipe is leaving the engine to the cat, there is a n opening at the side that is sealed.
The fuel filter is not the stock one, it only has one input and one output instead of 3 total, in addition is not on the right side close to the carb, but is down on the left side next to the fuel pump.
I have a plastic fuel tank, I think is 20 Gal maybe what worried me due to the overheating that the exhaust is experiencing.
Is the rear Axle upside down? or does the plug is right at that height?

I've checked oil level on both axles and seems to be a little low, the rear one is dark brow. I'm feeling a strange noise when I drive very slow, like human walking speed, there is a knock noise from the rear and I feel the car moving side way when it sound, suspecting that there is something wrong in the diff gears or the bearings.

Look at the pictures and please help me find out that are the things that I'm missing, if you thing that more detailed pictures are needed to identify something else I can take some more... Thanks in advance.

Regards from Cartagena, Colombia.

image.jpg   image_2.jpg   image_1.jpg   image_3.jpg   image_4.jpg  

image_5.jpg   image_6.jpg   image_7.jpg   image_8.jpg   image_9.jpg  

Monohm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
Monohm
1989 YJ Wrangler 

More pics
image_10.jpg   image_11.jpg   image_12.jpg   image_13.jpg   image_14.jpg  

image_15.jpg   image_16.jpg   image_17.jpg  
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm

The link above is for the late model CJs, your early YJ is all but identical under the hood.

Yours looks clean, just needs lots of TLC and attention to detail. Use the above link to identify the various components and hook them up properly.
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

"Is the rear Axle upside down? or does the plug is right at that height?"

Height is correct
Unread 05-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #5
Monohm
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you all for the inputs. I will be posting my progress on this restoration... regards.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.