89 YJ Overheating when Stopped or Slow - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 YJ Overheating when Stopped or Slow

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #16
fwb35
1988 YJ Wrangler 

And while you are in there toss that heavy clutch fan away and put a electric fan in, you will get at least 25 more miles out of a tank of gas plus a few more hp to boot. Was well worth it in my opinion when I did it.

fwb35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2010, 11:45 AM   #17
Treadhead
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Like was said above you absolutely need a radiator. But you also need to flush out the rest of the system as well, with that kind of build up I would replace my thermostat as well, it is cheap insurance and while you are doing the rest it is an easy job.
Unread 11-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #18
sainmatt
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm gonna have to park the jeep for a week or so while I scratch up the funds for the radiator. I'll replace it after thanksgiving. I will report back with my results. This will not be a dead thread!
Unread 11-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #19
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz View Post
I don't have a fan shroud... and it runs cooler.
Tell us how this one works!
Unread 11-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #20
kodiakkris400
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Another thought while your in there is to replace the radiator cap. It wouldent hurt with all that gunk. If its bad it can also cause you to boil over. With it functioning properly it builds pressure in the system which also raises the boiling point. Just another cheap part to help narrow down, or fix your problem.
kodiakkris400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #21
sainmatt
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I put in a new radiator and a new thermostat today. Once I installed the new thermostat I ran into the infamous thermostat housing leak. I believe that the thermostat wasn't seated properly and when I was tightening the housing I cracked it.

So tomorrow I'm going to install a new t-stat housing and I picked up some RTV to help seal everything up. I read that it's helpful to use RTV on the actual thermostat to hold it in place as the housing is installed. I'm going to clean everything up real good and apply a thin layer of RTV to both sides of the gasket. Hopefully once the T-stat is in the jeep will run at proper temperatures.

I'll give an update tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice.
Unread 12-30-2010, 07:07 AM   #22
sainmatt
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Follow up: The new radiator and thermostat seem to have fixed the problem. When i pulled the old radiator off, I noticed that the top outlet, that feeds the thermostat housing, was very weak. I could bend it back and forth quite a bit. There may have been a hairline crack there. If not, I'm sure there were just other weak areas that were causing the radiator to bleed out.

Anyway, after the engine was warmed up, I drove it for about 30 minutes, and the temperature never reached 210. By my guess-timation it stayed right around 195 degrees. So hopefully this is the end of the 3 month overheating saga. The radiator didn't actually start bleeding out until the beginning of this thread. Which was about a month and a half ago. Before that, I could never spot the leak. I just knew I was loosing fluid from somewhere and overheating a bit. I hope this thread helps somebody out if you're in the same boat. I replaced that radiator, thermostat, thermostat housing, and coolant all for around $200.
Unread 12-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #23
Jkm57
2010 JK Wrangler 

ok
Jkm57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 01:37 AM   #24
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz View Post
I don't have a fan shroud... and it runs cooler.
Your engine may not overheat without a fan shroud, but I highly doubt your rig runs cooler without the shroud. The fan shroud is a vital component in the cooling system, especially at idle. It essentially helps direct the force of the fan, increasing air flow through the radiator.
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #25
Jkm57
2010 JK Wrangler 

After looking at it again today and filling the reservoir once again the radiator isn't bleeding out and there's no leaks with the gasket to the engine. Any ideas where the coolant is going?
Jkm57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #26
racerkid
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkm57
This seems to be exactly what is happening to my YJ right now. I can't find a leak at all. There is nothing mixing. No smoke out the exhaust. So far looking at it nothing out of the ordinary. But it all started after I flushed the radiator and replaced the thermostat. Could this be the same issue as the OP?
When you fliushued it, you may have broke free a blockage from a previous leak, sometimes a radiator has the smallest cracks and cant be seen or detected to the exact spot. Just keep searching if is leaking.
racerkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
overheating , thermostat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.