89 yj not really getting past 70mph - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 yj not really getting past 70mph

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #16
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuvJeepYJ

What do you mean bypass?
I assume he means the nutter bypass?

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.

[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #17
blown50
1987 YJ Wrangler 

4.7 stroker! 100 mph with 3.07 gears! Then I got SKEERED My 4.2 was a dog too, that's why I built the stroker
blown50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #18
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

.... I don't think I'll ever hit 60 off road. Let alone 70

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #19
CyndiB
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have the same set up as you only on a 90. I rarely use 5th gear, that makes a big difference. Also, with the 33s, your speedometer is going to be about 10mph off, when it says 60, you're probably doing about 70. I just put a can of Seafoam in the gas, that made a huge difference, I can actually get out of the slow lane now.
[COLOR="White"][/COLOR]White Jeep Club Member #169
CyndiB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #20
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuvJeepYJ
What do you mean bypass?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossd1030
I assume he means the nutter bypass?
Correct - the Nutter bypass must be done to make your vehicle run correctly with the MC carb but there's more to it than 2 wires
The dist must be corrected to have the mechanical advance it needs because the computer is taken out of the system and no longer in control of the timing
The stock dist only had about 7deg of advance, the computer handled the rest
The dist needs 15 to 17deg of mechanical advance
The vacuum advance needs to be hooked to the intake manifold then dialed in

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #21
iLuvJeepYJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus87gn

Correct - the Nutter bypass must be done to make your vehicle run correctly with the MC carb but there's more to it than 2 wires
The dist must be corrected to have the mechanical advance it needs because the computer is taken out of the system and no longer in control of the timing
The stock dist only had about 7deg of advance, the computer handled the rest
The dist needs 15 to 17deg of mechanical advance
The vacuum advance needs to be hooked to the intake manifold then dialed in
So I need to set the timing between 15-17?
Unread 09-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #22
bluedaffy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There are are weights in the distributor that dictate the limit on how much mechanical advance the distributor can provide. I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong here) that pre-smog distributors could go up to 18* mechanical advance and the computer controlled distributors only went up to 7*. I may be off on the exact numbers here, but the point is, the pre-smog distributor is the one you need because the computer will no longer be able to make up the difference. The numbers are visible by taking the cap off the distributor and turning it while looking through little holes in the top to see the weights. The numbers are printed on the weights. Do another search for pre-smog distributors and you'll probably find a better write up relating to what I'm trying to explain.

FYI- I bought a new cardone distributor when I did the nutter bypass and the numbers WERE NOT PRINTED on the plates. This was incredibly frustrating because I had to take the brand new distributor apart just to make sure the weights were for a pre-smog engine and not the newer computer controlled version. Here's a link to my old thread when this happened to me. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/d...ights-1398642/
bluedaffy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #23
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Daffy is correct on his degrees of mechanical advance - look at the pic in his thread of the weights with no stampings on it
You need weights in your dist with anywhere between 16 and 18 deg of advance capability
Most likely (unless its been changes recently), you have wieghts that only allow 6 or 7 deg of advance capability

No, do not set your timing at 15 deg - set it between 8 and 10 - I run at 9, but I'm close to sea level
The vacuum advance connects to manifold vacuum to pull the timing up where it needs to be for idle situations
As the carb opens up, the manifold vacuum drops, the advacne backs off and the mechanical advance pulls in - that's where the power comes from - it's a balancing act

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #24
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have no doubt that having the presmog distributor will make it perform better and more economically.

However, fwiw, if you can't get above 60 mph, something else is wrong too. Mine is just nuttered with stock carburetor, team rush with original coil, spark gap at .045, manifold vacuum on the dist. vacuum advance, 30 inch tires and the original distributor set at 8 degrees. It accelerates to 3500 rpm and will go 85 mph in the flats without any real trouble. 14 mpg around town, 18 on highway driving for best mileage.

If I was going to spend anything on it or do any more improvement work, presmog distributor and new better coil would be it, but I'm not in that mode right now.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.