89 yj not really getting past 70mph - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 yj not really getting past 70mph

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 09-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
iLuvJeepYJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

89 yj not really getting past 70mph

Alright I have an 89 yj with mc2100 carb all dialed in, timing is right, straight piped, new engine and tranny, 4" lift on 33x12.50 tires, I'm getting tired of driving in the slow lane and bogging down on hills. Please help!

Unread 09-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
booboowv77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

In my opinion 70 on 33's is fast enough, but if you want to stop the bogging down go to 4.10 gears in the axle, and for a little more speed up grade your distributor with either Team rush, or HEI should help. I get 70 out of mine with no problems and I am on 35's but for me it just don't seem save to go any higher. It's a jeep not a race car!
Built not Bought #759
booboowv77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

My YJ when it still had the 4cyl and 33's would just hit a wall at like 65mph and just would not go any faster. You have to remember these things have the aerodynamics of a waffle house and then we take and make it worse by adding lifts and tires, and they are usually old and tire engines as well. I really don't think they were all that apt at highway driving when they were brand new.
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What gears are in the axle? And I agree 70 is plenty fast. I don't see much over 60-65 in mine on 35s with 4.88 and a similar setup as you. I could push it to MAYBE 75-80 on the flats but choose not to. This all goes out the window on any incline. It stands no chance climbing at speed. You have to live with it.

If you want the left lane you should have gotten a charger. Or a V8

Sent from my phone because I'm doing something "more important"

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
iLuvJeepYJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Stock gears, think I'm gonna do the TFI upgrade and see what happens
Unread 09-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just remember you cant make a silk purse from a sows ear. The 2.5 is a good motor for what it is. It been over discussed on the forum. You can eek out a little more hp by finding and swapping in a MPFI 2.5L fuel injection, going to an electric fan, and regearing. I am saying just be realistic with what you have. I have my 2.5 and I cant drive it like my Charger RT but when it comes to fun the Charger is a distant second lace to the fun I have in my Jeep.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
iLuvJeepYJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
Just remember yo cant make a silk purse from a sows ear. The 2.5 is a good motor for what it is. It been over discussed on the forum. You can eek out a little more hp by finding and swapping in a MPFI 2.5L fuel injection, going to an electric fan, and regearing. I am saying just be realistic with what you have. I have my 2.5 and I cant drive it like my Charger RT but when it comes to fun the Charger is a distant second lace to the fun I have in my Jeep.
I have the 4.2L
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Stock gears are 307s. If you want more speed, regear or install nitrous. You won't do anything with TFI except spend money for no reason
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Doesn't TFI mean the same thing as Team Rush upgrade with a different coil too?
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Regear - 3.73s are perfect for 33s and the 4.2 - 4.10s are a tad short, but I have the 5 speed
The ignition upgrade will help the engine run better but will not give you the results you are looking for

Also, do you have your dist corrected for the bypass and carb you are now running?

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancytron View Post
Doesn't TFI mean the same thing as Team Rush upgrade with a different coil too?
Yes
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #12
SamzJeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have an '88, 4.2, Team Rush, MC2100, 8.8/Dana 30 with 4.10's, AX15 on 35's and I average 60-65 on the freeway. I can go a bit faster on a good day (no up hills/wind), but I keep her at 60 mph. It would be nice to be able to go faster when you wanted to, but like everyone else is saying..."it's a Jeep". I'm sure you can get them going faster without killing it, but I would assume that would include having a V8 and the right gears and a lot of cash. I'm happy with my rig. She gets me everywhere I want to go...just maybe not as fast as others can go! Keep the top off, crank up the tunes and enjoy the ride!
Unread 09-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #13
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I can hit 70 with power to spare - Its at that speed I start to get nervous - 65 is fast enough in my rig

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #14
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus87gn
I can hit 70 with power to spare - Its at that speed I start to get nervous - 65 is fast enough in my rig
Yeah,
I can hit 160km and that's way too scary. Thing feels like it's gonna loose the wheels as soon as I stop lol.
But this is with 30" stock everything. I won't go that fast again. 120km ish is fast enough.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #15
iLuvJeepYJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus87gn
Regear - 3.73s are perfect for 33s and the 4.2 - 4.10s are a tad short, but I have the 5 speed
The ignition upgrade will help the engine run better but will not give you the results you are looking for

Also, do you have your dist corrected for the bypass and carb you are now running?
What do you mean bypass?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.