89 YJ Fuel Injection Conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 YJ Fuel Injection Conversion

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-30-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
Jeepsburg

89 YJ Fuel Injection Conversion

I have an 89 YJ. I think I am having a bunch of problems with my old carb (bad idle, will stall sometimes after starting or when not warm yet). So I really wanted to do a Fuel Injection swap. I had a few questions though.

1. What is a good model to use
2. Where can I get it
3. How much does it cost
4. How hard is it to put in
5. Would I have to buy any other accessories, or should it work puuurfecto

Thanks so much to any one that answers, Jon

Jeepsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
88TNSahara
1988 YJ Wrangler 

1. Howell or Mopar
2. Quadratec, Summit Racing, or similar vendors
3. About a grand for the Howell, $2500 (?) for the Mopar
4. Quadratec claims the Howell can be fitted in 2-4 hours
5. You need a new computer, but I think they come with the kits

Go with FI if you have the cash to drop, but, if not, get a new carb. For less than $400 and about 4 hours of work, you can increase power and fuel mileage with a new carb. Weber and Motorcraft are popular choices.
88TNSahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Depending on how handy you are, for about the price of a new carb you could do your own MPI, read this....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f140/junkyard-mpi-598873/

I plan on doing the Howell myself at the end of the year.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2008, 04:56 AM   #4
yellow2kgt
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I went with the Howell setup myself.

1. Yes, Starts up instantly and holds a solid idle regardless of temp and, in the 8 months I have had it not 1 single stall.

2.Direct from Howell, 4WD, Quadratec, Ebay. etc...

3. Usually they run for right under $1000 on ebay.

4. Easy, as long as you take your time. The actual install part is cake. The hard part is sorting through all of the old wires and deleting what you no longer need. I would plan on 10-15 hours to install.

5. Everything is included even the zip ties. However, Depending on what air cleaner you are running you may need to buy a new one. The factory one will not fit but you can pick up a generic filter from autozone for ~ $20.
Howell EFI, BDS 3.5" lift, M.O.R.E 5/8" Boomerang shackles, 1" Daystar BL, 1" JKS MML, TFI, Crager soft 8s w 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, Dana 30 E-Locker, Terra Flex SYE, Tom Woods CV shaft, Warn M8000.
yellow2kgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
Peanuts89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I just bought a 89yj w/ 4.2 block w/ 4.0 heads injected. 4wd does not work. Is this still a vacuum driven system now? Would I troubleshoot it as a 4.0 set up? help!!!!!!! please!!!!!!!
Peanuts89yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts89yj View Post
I just bought a 89yj w/ 4.2 block w/ 4.0 heads injected. 4wd does not work. Is this still a vacuum driven system now? Would I troubleshoot it as a 4.0 set up? help!!!!!!! please!!!!!!!
This really has nothing to due with the fuel injection. All YJ's use the same vacuum actuated front axle in stock form.

Read this thread... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/home-made-posi-lock-write-up-595515/ You'll never have to worry about it again.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 11:14 PM   #7
antec

i got the howell tbi and love it hold thing from beging to end cost 1300. i will have some video of it runing soon but trust me you will love it
antec is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.