89 YJ Electrical Issues blinkers/ dash lights come on with Brake lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 YJ Electrical Issues blinkers/ dash lights come on with Brake lights

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 02-15-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
Cajun90YJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

89 YJ Electrical Issues blinkers/ dash lights come on with Brake lights

89 YJ When I push the Brake Pedal all my dash lights come on along with the front blinkers, and radio. It looks like the clutch master cyl may have leaked fluid on the wiring block on the fire wall. I Was wondering if any one has run into these issues before? Just looking for somewhere to start looking.

Cajun90YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun90YJ View Post
89 YJ When I push the Brake Pedal all my dash lights come on along with the front blinkers, and radio. It looks like the clutch master cyl may have leaked fluid on the wiring block on the fire wall. I Was wondering if any one has run into these issues before? Just looking for somewhere to start looking.
If it started after the brake fluid leaked for a while maybe some electrical contact cleaner in a aerosol can could be the answer to your problems.
laybackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah thats probably the problem but, you better clean it quick and fix that master because brake fluid is corrosive and it will wreak havoc on those electric connections.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
If it started after the brake fluid leaked for a while maybe some electrical contact cleaner in a aerosol can could be the answer to your problems.
Unread 02-16-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
Cajun90YJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well my hunch was wrong the block was fine no issues there, it still had the grease on it. So im thinking there must be something shorted under the dash or something crossed somewhere but I dont know where to start.
Unread 02-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
kingcn
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Troubleshooting

I had a similar problem with my Mazda pickup, only when I would use my turn signal most the lights in my dash would blink. I thought it was the multi-switch so I bought a new one only to find it didn’t fix the problem. At this point I started studying the wiring diagrams looking for something common to all the lights that would blink and the turn signal. After checking many components I ended up back by the brake lights and it turned out to be a wet corroded trailer light hookup. When I unhooked it everything worked great. So to make a long story longer get out the schematics and start looking for and checking points that are common to all the lights that are coming on.

Rear: Dana 35 4.10: Yukon Chrome-molly axles & Lock-Rite locker

C & C Fab Tube Fenders (giving these guys a plug because they treated me so well)

Home brew oil-pan/bell housing skid plate and gas tank skid plate.
kingcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
Cajun90YJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yea sounds like a good starting point. Thanks
Unread 02-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

there is only one wire that comes out of the brake switch and into the steering column connector. There are two (one for each brake light) that exit the steering column over to the body harness. Follow any of these three and look for a short to the power distribution wires for your dash that go through the dash dimmer.
I only have colors for 90, yours may/may not be the same:
dash power distribution: orange/black
exiting brake switch to steering column: light blue/black
from steering column to body harness: brown, green/black
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2008, 07:11 PM   #8
Cajun90YJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok I will check that in the morning sounds like it could be possible the only other thing would be the front turn signals? They come on solid like the brake lights so I was thinking it may be in the fuse block. Something shorted in the block.
Unread 02-19-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
Cajun90YJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well I have figured out that my problem is a ground. It is in the left blinker/brake I'm thinking in the switch assy or the wiring in the column. I'm still working on it though.
Unread 10-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #10
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

For future reference, I pm'd cajun90yj and he said it turned out to be a short in the left tail light. Mine was doing the same thing and it turned out to be the exact same cause.
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.