89 YJ Build - Hintz - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 YJ Build - Hintz

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-14-2015, 08:54 AM   #1
johny_boy32
2010 JK Wrangler 

89 YJ Build - Hintz

Hey guys/gals. I'm pretty new to the YJ's but I've had a few Jeeps over the years; 00 Grand Cherokee, 08 Liberty, 10 JK Wrangler. I sold my JK about a year ago to get a pickup for hauling my ice fishing gear. Summer is right around the corner here in northern Minnesota & I already missed going topless. So last month I finally convinced the Mrs. to let me get this, an 89 YJ w/ 142K miles for $1,500. It has the 4.2L engine paired w/ a manual transmission & came with a hard top, soft top, bimini, half & full doors. I thought it was a fair deal. I'm fortunate enough to have access to a shop, technicians w/ 25+ years in experience, & a best friend that LOVES working on anything with a motor & wheels.

I've run into a few snags already in the tear down process. Over half of the bolts/screws/nuts have either been rusted or stripped beyond repair. As you will see in some of the pictures, a torch has come into play frequently already with the lift install.

I wanted to make this thread to keep an active account of what I've done & what I plan on doing to this rig. Here is what I have ordered thus far...

Zone Offroad 2" Gas Suspension Lift
Zone Offroad Steering Stabilizer
Zone Offroad Sway Bar Disconnects
Zone Offroad Shackles & Bushings
Poison Spyder Hood Louver
Rough Country Stubby Front Bumper W/ D Ring Kit
Smittybilt Classic Rear Bumper
Smittybilt XRC Rock Sliders
Black Rock Series 997 Type 8 Steel Wheels
31X10.5 DuraTrac Tires
Hi-Lift Jack W/ Hood Mount
Off-Road Lights W/ Windshield Mount
Misc. Black Hardware/Hinges/Etc..

The last picture is with the lift kit fully installed. As you can see, I definitely got more than 2 inches, the factory springs were completely worn out & even cracked in one spot. Don't mind all the wax & dirt from the previous owner, it sat in a barn for 7 years prior to me buying it. I think all of the wax that he left on there saved the paint. It should shine up really nice once i get everything done.

My goal is to get all of this on by July 4th weekend. It's a slow process but it's been fun thus far & it will be really rewarding when it's all completed. I will post more pictures as things progress. Thanks for tagging along.

picture-011.jpg   picture-012.jpg   picture-019.jpg   picture-022.jpg   picture-023.jpg  

picture-024.jpg   picture-027.jpg  
johny_boy32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2015, 09:01 AM   #2
pat85
2001 WJ 

Who's that handsome fella wielding the fire wrench? Ha, ha.

It's been a frustrating but fun build so far. Really excited to see you wheel this thing.
Sold: 98 ZJ
pat85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #3
BlackPearl96
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good - did you luck out with a solid frame? If so, I'd say you got a great deal!
Unread 05-14-2015, 10:01 AM   #4
pat85
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl96 View Post
Looks good - did you luck out with a solid frame? If so, I'd say you got a great deal!
It's really not too bad. The rear is showing some cancer but it's not through yet. Might need attention after another MN winter or two.
Sold: 98 ZJ
pat85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2015, 08:56 AM   #5
johny_boy32
2010 JK Wrangler 

I haven't updated this in a while but we've made quite a bit of progress since the last post. Everything is installed from my list except the Smittybilt XRC Rock Sliders. I'll post a few more pictures later with the off-road lights & Hi-lift installed.
img_2391.jpg   img_2392.jpg  
johny_boy32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2015, 09:03 AM   #6
gotswap
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good!!!!
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.