89 yj 4x4 not engaging - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 yj 4x4 not engaging

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
wesmo

89 yj 4x4 not engaging

Bought an 89 yj and the guy I bought it from said the actuator was bad. It goes into all gears but is not locking uo the 4x4. I checked all of the vacuum lines and tgey look good. The 4x4 light on the dash stays on most of the time.any ideas? Is the actuator bad???

wesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would guess the actuator is bad. Buy a new fork and just lock it over permanently.
Unread 07-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
wesmo

Why lock it in permenantly? Couldn't I just replace the actuator?
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Personally I didn't want to lock mine in permanently. So I understand, that isn't for everyone.

You need to test the thing if you want to restore it to operation. You can test the vacuum motor diaphragm just by putting a hose on each nipple and pulling a vacuum. I just sucked on the hose, and if it had been leaking I would have been able to tell. To actually move the fork, you'll need some real vacuum. A jumper hose from the running engine will do that.

Also test the vacuum valve (they call it a switch, but it isn't electrical on an '89). Just pull it out and test its function. It's in the top of your transfer case. Not hard to get to.

Then pull out the entire harness and check it for leaks. I was positive mine looked good, but when I got it out of the cover loom, sure enough it had a hole burned in the green line.

There are lots of threads on this stuff, including diagrams. I'm new here, but I was able to find a lot of resources with a simple search. Your search term should include "CAD", which means central axle disconnect. That's what that thing is called.

At the end of the day, as long as my vacuum motor is good, I would fix it to original operation. That's the only expensive part at a little over $100. If/when my vacuum motor goes bad, I would spend that money on a Posi-lock system instead.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

you could... but you will just be prolonging the inevitable. i fixed my actuator every winter. water would get in there and freeze the damn thing. i carried a blow torch and a hammer during the cold months just in case i was to need 4wd.

you could also get a tj pass side shaft and eliminate the actuator.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I hear ya, and understand. Fortunately we don't all live in god forsaken winter hell.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

we can't know where the op is from since there is no info on his profile.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesmo View Post
Why lock it in permenantly? Couldn't I just replace the actuator?
If you lock it in permanently, you don't have to deal with the vacuum system being unreliable. The only thing less reliable is a posi lock cable. There is a very good reason that jeep hasn't used these axle disconnects since the Yj.

Your 4x4 light can still function.
Here's a little reading
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...80/?highlight=
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
wesmo

I live in tennessee, cant figure out updating my profile with my phone
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Click "edit"

http://jeepspace.jeepforum.com/wesmo
Unread 07-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #11
jred
1994 YJ Wrangler 

What part of TN? I'm in Memphis & I've been going through my 4x4 system, so I know it pretty well
jred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #12
wesmo

Near Nashville
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #13
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The YJ was kinda in the transitional period between locking hubs and shift on the fly. Locking the fork over makes the YJ like Cherokee or TJs system essentially. The only real downside to locking your fork in the CAD over is you may experience a bit of vibration. This can be taken care changing to TJ or Cherokee axle shafts which are balanced or balance your YJ one. The YJ axle is two pieces with the locking collar which doubles the amount of failure points. Gas mileage on our bricks doesnt change appreciably. The process of locking the fork over is simple, quick and easy.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #14
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90DesertTanYJ
The YJ was kinda in the transitional period between locking hubs and shift on the fly. Locking the fork over makes the YJ like Cherokee or TJs system essentially. The only real downside to locking your fork in the CAD over is you may experience a bit of vibration. This can be taken care changing to TJ or Cherokee axle shafts which are balanced or balance your YJ one. The YJ axle is two pieces with the locking collar which doubles the amount of failure points. Gas mileage on our bricks doesnt change appreciably. The process of locking the fork over is simple, quick and easy.
You don't get vibrations from the axle shaft, you get them from the front drive shaft

And I'm going against Anti, I've never had problems with my Posi-lock

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.