89 YJ 4.6 stroker install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 YJ 4.6 stroker install

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #1
HuggyBear911
1988 YJ Wrangler 

89 YJ 4.6 stroker install

Been working on an engine rebuild for quite a while and I'm finally getting ready to install it this weekend...so thought I would start a thread here. My Jeep originally had a 4.2 with the BA10 trans (trans crapped out last year). I built a carbureted 4.6 stroker with the 4.0 rods, Scat crank, and IC944 pistons from a 95 XJ 4.0 (build thread over at Jeepstrokers.com is here). I ended up getting the Alabama Cylinder Head (ACH) head after various issues with the previous head and machine shop. I did most of the porting on it myself, but had a new machine shop finish the porting and complete the head.

As part of the engine swap, I got an AX15 (external slave) and rebuilt that with a 'master rebuild' kit from Southwest Gear. I got the conversion stuff from Advance Adapters and I've added a Hurst shifter since the trans didnt come with one and I wanted to be able to modify the shift lever to suit my needs. I also rebuilt my original transfer case with a wide chain kit and 6 pinion planetary gear from JB Conversions, and another master rebuilt kit from Southwest Gear.

Got the old engine pulled out last weekend, and been cleaning up and preping the engine bay this week.

Here are a few pics...I'll keep you posted over the weekend on my progress.

Last edited by HuggyBear911; 08-15-2014 at 02:50 PM..
HuggyBear911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
HuggyBear911
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm sure some of you are asking "Why carbureted?"...and that's a valid question, especially since the engine came with all the FI stuff including the wiring and computer. Basically, the wiring harness on my Jeep is an absolute mess, the PO had seriously hacked it up, and I cant imagine trying to incorporate FI into this rats nest. Also, because of the current wiring, I plan to rewire the whole thing with a kit from Painless that my GF so kindly got me last Christmas and it doesn't have provisions for FI.

That and I'm old school and didn't want to deal with it.
Unread 08-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I like it. Except...

If I can help you blow a little more money?

How about a Clifford or Offenhauser intake manifold and a Holley 390 4 barrel? Had a similar setup on my CJ7. Vrooom!
What is your plan for the air cleaner? How about a custom high flow, high filtration Donaldson setup?
Unread 08-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #4
HuggyBear911
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have a Clifford intake that I have port matched to the head. I also have a Holley 470 Avenger carb.

Have not decided on an air cleaner so I will definitely check out the Donaldson setup as you suggested.
Unread 08-15-2014, 06:37 PM   #5
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggyBear911 View Post
I have a Clifford intake that I have port matched to the head. I also have a Holley 470 Avenger carb.

Have not decided on an air cleaner so I will definitely check out the Donaldson setup as you suggested.
It's gonna run good.

Look on ebay for good used housing with the airflow you want. Something from a Bobcat or small loader maybe. Flow AND filtration will serve you well.
K&N's flow great but the dirt will lead to premature death.

There are charts on Donaldson's websire with airflow CFM numbers
Unread 08-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #6
myillwillinc
1990 YJ Wrangler 

get a msd 5520 box since you are carb. that's what I did on my 90 and it eliminates the computer and everything with 8 wires.
myillwillinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 06:37 PM   #7
HuggyBear911
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Engine has been installed. Got the tranny and the T/C installed today along with the accessories. Started working on he brake line but realized I need the extended rubber lines.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.