89 YJ 2.5 no spark, no fuel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 YJ 2.5 no spark, no fuel

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-06-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
Shiny
1989 YJ Wrangler 

89 YJ 2.5 no spark, no fuel

I dont like puters at all...
So I would be driving along and the Jeep would die for a few seconds then would come back to life. It is like I shut the ignition off, once in a while it would even backfire threw the exhaust. So it has done this on and off for a while now. Well yesterday it died while I came to a stop, I could hear the fuelpump turn on and then it fired up, I backed up about 20 feet and it died again, then it started back up, pulled forward to park and it died again. Now there is no fuel and no spark. Fuel pump is turning on. It does have power to the coil, but no spark. I pulled the CPS out and it was pretty oily and dirty. Gotta figure out how to clean the flywheel inside? Any ideas? It was also idling at 1400rpm for a while, right before it died.
Few weeks ago it died, but it was getting spark but no fuel. Ended up going thru a bunch of things, and cleaned up some stuff, put it back together and it fired up. Not sure what it was.
I have read alot of write ups and still unsure what it is. I do not have a OHM tester.
Thanks in advance

-Shiny

Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2015, 02:20 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

Does your check engine light come on?

You dont really need to clean the oil in the flywheel area.. It has no effect on the system.

BUT if you just got to. take a can of brake clean and spray in there with the nozzle. I put a piece of tape on the nozzle so if it came off it will not go in the hole. (not that it would matter..) Also while spraying in there get someone to crank it, make sure out of gear...
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2015, 02:32 PM   #3
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It certainly has the symptoms of a CPS problem.

is this happening at low speeds only? An oily flywheel can make your clutch stick. Are you sure its fully disconnecting?

Run the vehicle at idle, grab the CPS wires and jostle them around. Does the engine turn off?

Also, check jeepsr4me's suggestion of engine light just to be sure. Is it throwing any codes? does the CEL turn on when you first turn the key to the ON position?
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2015, 03:37 PM   #4
Shiny
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Its dead, no spark and no fuel as I said above. The intermittent dying has gone on for a while, and would happen at normal driving speeds, like 40mph. Cleaned the CPS, but it wasnt that dirty, pulled the inspection cover and it wasnt oily in the bell.
Its an '89 so doesnt have engine light
If it was the ICM, would it send a signal to not pump fuel? Cuz there is no spark at the coil

-Shiny
Unread 03-06-2015, 05:50 PM   #5
Jeepsr4me

Could have swore it had a light
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2015, 06:07 PM   #6
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Could have swore it had a light
he's right, it didn't get CEL until 1991
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2015, 09:42 PM   #7
Johnnyrev
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You said it's like turning the key off and on.. well, a deteriorating ignition switch can make this happen too, both the ignition and fuel pump are switched on by it. It's down on the steering column under the dash, the key turns a tumbler that moves a rod that eventually moves a sliding ignition switch.

You've probably wiggled the key and tumbler already when it happens, but check to see if the switch itself has a crack, wires to it are loosening or coming apart, it's barely held on to the column, etc.
Johnnyrev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2015, 01:56 AM   #8
Shiny
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I will check that tomorrow. But why would it have power to the coil? So frustrated!
Unread 03-08-2015, 07:13 PM   #9
Johnnyrev
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Intermittent problems are the most frustrating. Just do a visual check, do a little tug on the wires and make sure the fuel pump and coil have power, and move on. If it isn't a new coil and you haven't checked the coil for continuity (you can use a volt meter and system power to do it) then check it just to rule it out.
Johnnyrev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2015, 08:32 PM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Trying to troubleshoot a no start electric issue without a meter is like going to an exclusive restaurant without your wallet. You need to see if you have voltage on the coil. How do you know you have no fuel?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2015, 08:32 PM   #11
Johnnyrev
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just wondering if you resolved this issue. Another post http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1.../#post29206625 brought it back to my attention because the ignition switch connects pretty much the same way, so it may have a corroded contact.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.