89 YJ with '02 4.0 questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 YJ with '02 4.0 questions

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
bpeelen
1989 YJ Wrangler 

89 YJ with '02 4.0 questions

I have a 89 YJ with a 4.0 from a 92 Cherokee. I am told my jeep has the 15 gal fuel tank, so I am wondering if the guy PO changed the fuel pump when he went to the fuel injected motor. I have had little luck finding a fuel pump that is listed for the 4.0 equipped YJ and fits the 15 gal tank.

The reason I am wondering is because the jeep does not like to start very well when cold. I don't see an add-on in-line pump either, do I need to add one? What fuel pressure will this motor need to operate properly?

I have the Cherokee harness and computer under the hood cobbled into the original harness.

bpeelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
Dake

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have the plastic tank or metal. I don't think the metal one will use the tank pump.
Unread 11-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep switched to the 20 gal poly tank when they added the 4.0 motor in wranglers. I'd venture to say you need one of those with a pump and it would be okay. MTS tanks should have what you need.

Help our dog Bo! https://fundly.com/give-bo-a-chance
Michaelgoesrawr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
JeepCrz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

89 F 150 6 cyl fuel pump. It is an E2000. You will need a filter (I used the 94 Cherokee filter) between it an the tank. It will put out 40psi. I have this mounted on the cross member in front of the fuel tank and have been running it for six years. I did have to replace the pump this year but they are only around $80. Much cheaper than a pump, tank, and skid plate that you would need to use an OEM style pump.
JeepCrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
bpeelen
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Oops, read below, double posted somehow.

Last edited by bpeelen; 11-03-2013 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: Double post
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
bpeelen
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So this F 150 pump is an external electric pump? Sounds like a good option.

I need to drop the tank anyway and figure out why it reads empty at a 1/4 tank. That will give me a good chance to look at what is in there for a pump and how to rig up something new.

Did you leave the stock pump in the tank and just add the F 150 pump as an auxilary?
Unread 11-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The stock poly tank pump puts out more then enough pressure on its own. If you have a problem with cold starts look at your fault codes and if you think there is a pressure problem find out what your pressure is. Don't throw parts at an issue, troubleshoot.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Could be a partially clogged fuel filter, or a myriad of other things. The proper thing to do is diagnose. First see which tank you have... the first tanks used in the YJ were simple 15 gallon square tanks with a single strap holding them to the skid. They were made of metal, btu I believe there are a few out there that are poly. After '91 (when they switched to the 4.0L FI), they switched up the fuel tank to a technically 20 gallon poly tanks that look kinda like a trapezoid. ( /__\ ).

The early square tank has a round entry point on top of the tank, while the 20 gallon poly has a square one.

I'd say first step: figure out which tank you have.
Second step: find out your fuel pressure.
Third step: replace fuel filter and recheck fuel pressure.

Then go from there.
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
JeepCrz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My jeep didn't have an in tank pump when I did the conversion. I have an 89 Sahara with the 20 gal plastic tank. The f150 pump is inline. If you are dropping the tank you may want to just install it there with a factory one from a fuel injected YJ. If I recall the 4cyl and 6cyl YJs used the same pump with the same pressure but you would have to verify this with the part numbers.

The yj swap use to be well documented in cjoffroad.com but the site went away.

edit...
Looks like they are the same pump.

http://www.4wd.com/search.aspx?Actio...-c6ecefcc93cb#
JeepCrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCrz View Post
My jeep didn't have an in tank pump when I did the conversion. I have an 89 Sahara with the 20 gal plastic tank. The f150 pump is inline. If you are dropping the tank you may want to just install it there with a factory one from a fuel injected YJ. If I recall the 4cyl and 6cyl YJs used the same pump with the same pressure but you would have to verify this with the part numbers.

The yj swap use to be well documented in cjoffroad.com but the site went away.

edit...
Looks like they are the same pump.

http://www.4wd.com/search.aspx?Actio...-c6ecefcc93cb#
I know there's two different pumps for the 4.0L. One has screw on terminals, and one has a plug-in terminal. The screw on terminal one was more expensive, and the one I had in my '91 YJ. (It is also physically larger, so... there's that as well.)
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.