89 Wrangler YJ 6 Cylinder dies - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 Wrangler YJ 6 Cylinder dies

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
jayxtrek

89 Wrangler YJ 6 Cylinder dies

Can someone give me some advice on my 89 Wrangler YJ. Its a 6 Cyclinder.
Starting about 6 months ago (when coincidentally I had the gas tank removed for welding), my YJ dies when it gets hot. It feel like someone just pulled the plug.
I repalced the Ignition Module under the coolant recovery tank, the wires, distributor cap, rotor and coil. It is still happening.
When it has sat for a while, usually half hour or more, it starts right back up.

I have been advised to look at the ignition switch, relays (although not sure where they are) remove gas cap for vapor lock as well as other ideas.

I know this problem is not unique and I want to see how others have solved it.
If it matters, I am still using the stock carb setup.

jayxtrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would check into (and research) vapor lock. It may be an issue with the fuel tank vent since that was recently removed. It's a long shot, but is the only thing I can think of that would relate the tank removal with it dying.
tslroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

It could be a coincidence that it happened when the tank was removed, but not likely.

Are you exhibiting any other indicators that go just before or after it dies? Is the vehicle running hot? Does it hesitate? What else is happening? You said it happens when the vehicle gets "hot". How hot is "hot"? With the fuel filter being in the engine bay, and with the way the fuel lines are routed, I recently learned that you could actually evaporate the fuel in the line before it makes it to the carb. This happened to me when I was off roading recently and got dangerously close to overheating. The Jeep would just - die. It would fire right back up, and run fine, but 3-4 times it just up and died. Turned out that my engine bay had gotten so hot that it vaporized the fuel and I starved the engine.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

When it dies next time, check for a spark
Unread 07-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
When it dies next time, check for a spark
+1. It's either not getting spark or not getting fuel. You're halfway to solving it when you figure out which.

I've seen ignition coils that would fail only when hot. In fact, any electrical component can do that. Mounting the coil on the engine block was a pretty dumb move IMO.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.