89 wrangler 15 to 20gal tank swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 wrangler 15 to 20gal tank swap

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy Aluminum Bumpers

Reply
Unread 11-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
doops22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: rumford, me
Posts: 6
89 wrangler 15 to 20gal tank swap

I have a 89 wrangler. the original steel 15 gallon tank was rusted and starting to leak. I got a 20 gallon plastic tank from another parts jeep with the skid plate. I saw a few threads and saw some pics about this and that it should work. Just have a few questions. The original tank has been out for a while waiting for a replacement. I see a line coming from inside the passenger side fenderwell, but I don't see a hose on the new 20gal tank that would go there, I'm assuming it's just another vent from the 15gal tank? The 20 gal just has a vent on either side of the sending unit. I got the tank up close to being in place but need to lengthen the 2 lines to the sending unit, and looks like I'll need to shorten the fillerneck hose. There's a small spot on the 20 gal tank that looks like it is melted from sitting on the exhaust in the jeep it came out of, my exhaust is pretty close in the same spot so I'll probably end up fabbing up some sort of heat shield and try to tweak the exhaust as far from it as I can. Appreciate any help guys, just trying to get this thing going. This should be the last thing I need to get it going.

doops22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
brentd711
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 360
I've got a steel tank, if you're interested PM me
brentd711 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
doops22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: rumford, me
Posts: 6
I've got a friend with a steel tank that I can have. would like to use this one though. 5 extra gallons and I'm sure you know how easily stuff rusts up here. id rather just have the plastic tank and not worry about it. thanks though
doops22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 04:17 AM   #4
timatoe
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley California
Posts: 13,707
Just giving you a bump for the night, don't have time right now at work. I did this swap will try and provide more info tomorrow.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
timatoe
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley California
Posts: 13,707
OK so the line on the passenger side if from the roll over valve. That line will connect to the two vented lines from the tank, the two sides connect together toward the middle with a "T" then run over there. The fuel feed line and the vent going to the evap canister come off of the main ports at the sender. I can't say on the fuel filler and vent from the filler neck because I moved the filler neck to the TJ location and used the TJ filler so I had to make my own lines for that. You can likely get the correct size filler and vent hoses from MTS.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
mrmud4x4
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rocky Mount, NC
Posts: 391
I just pulled my tank out of my 88. I was suprised to find the 20 gallon plastic one. I needed to adjust the float resistor and seal the top gasket. I also needed to clean/paint the skid plate and replace the vent hose that is assembled with the filler hose. That big vent hose was probably the source of my leak.....it was dry rotted bad at the tank end clamp. I will probably re-mount the tank friday.

The vent lines on top were tied together and went up to a vent on the drivers side on my jeep. There was also the fuel feed and return lines in the same spot on the drivers side.

I also have a fitted rubber mat, maybe 1/8 inch thick, that lays in between the skid and the plastic tank.

The whole skid/rubber/outside bottom of tank was full of dirt and crud, with a little rust inside the skid plate.

The exhaust pipe on mine probably sits about 4-5 inches from the plastic tank, and there is not any noticable damage to the tank.

The reason I did not know what size it was is because when I bought the jeep, I filled it up and it leaked ...... I never filled it again.... now that problem should be fixed along with the tank level reading.(would only go to 1/4 tank - I never knew how low it was)
__________________
This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between searches. Please try again in 1 seconds.
mrmud4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 06:40 AM   #7
doops22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: rumford, me
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
OK so the line on the passenger side if from the roll over valve. That line will connect to the two vented lines from the tank, the two sides connect together toward the middle with a "T" then run over there. The fuel feed line and the vent going to the evap canister come off of the main ports at the sender. I can't say on the fuel filler and vent from the filler neck because I moved the filler neck to the TJ location and used the TJ filler so I had to make my own lines for that. You can likely get the correct size filler and vent hoses from MTS.
thanks! do I need to hook up the roll over valve? or can I just run the vent lines somewhere they won't get full of crud. not exactly sure what its for? my samurai just has the vent at the filler, not sure why this tank has so many. also I didn't notice an evap canistrr. I followed the line from the mech pump on the passenger side of the motor along the driver side frame rail to the tank to determine which line needed to be the feed.
doops22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 06:48 AM   #8
doops22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: rumford, me
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmud4x4 View Post
I just pulled my tank out of my 88. I was suprised to find the 20 gallon plastic one. I needed to adjust the float resistor and seal the top gasket. I also needed to clean/paint the skid plate and replace the vent hose that is assembled with the filler hose. That big vent hose was probably the source of my leak.....it was dry rotted bad at the tank end clamp. I will probably re-mount the tank friday.

The vent lines on top were tied together and went up to a vent on the drivers side on my jeep. There was also the fuel feed and return lines in the same spot on the drivers side.

I also have a fitted rubber mat, maybe 1/8 inch thick, that lays in between the skid and the plastic tank.

The whole skid/rubber/outside bottom of tank was full of dirt and crud, with a little rust inside the skid plate.

The exhaust pipe on mine probably sits about 4-5 inches from the plastic tank, and there is not any noticable damage to the tank.

The reason I did not know what size it was is because when I bought the jeep, I filled it up and it leaked ...... I never filled it again.... now that problem should be fixed along with the tank level reading.(would only go to 1/4 tank - I never knew how low it was)
thanks. theres a vent line tied up with my feed/return on the driverside also. this was where I was planning on routing it if I don't need this roll over valve. the fuel gauge didn't work before. maybe it will with the sending unit in this tank. if not ill just use the tripometer.
doops22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:38 AM   #9
mrmud4x4
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rocky Mount, NC
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by doops22 View Post
thanks! do I need to hook up the roll over valve? or can I just run the vent lines somewhere they won't get full of crud. not exactly sure what its for? my samurai just has the vent at the filler, not sure why this tank has so many. also I didn't notice an evap canistrr. I followed the line from the mech pump on the passenger side of the motor along the driver side frame rail to the tank to determine which line needed to be the feed.
I did not find a rollover vent line when I pulled mine. The 2 vents on top were tied together and went to the drivers side.....there are three lines there. feed, return and vent....vent being the small one. return should come off the fuel filter up on top of the engine.
__________________
This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between searches. Please try again in 1 seconds.
mrmud4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #10
mrmud4x4
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rocky Mount, NC
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by doops22 View Post
thanks. theres a vent line tied up with my feed/return on the driverside also. this was where I was planning on routing it if I don't need this roll over valve. the fuel gauge didn't work before. maybe it will with the sending unit in this tank. if not ill just use the tripometer.
If you can get a multimeter...the float is very easy to check. Read resistance accross the two plug pins; full tank = about 100 ohms, empty tank = 2-3 ohms. (that's how mine was) I pulled my float out and the resistor cover off. I used a small needle nose and jewelers screwdriver to make sure the resistor tab was riding on the resistance winding throughout the motion of the float. very simple device.....
__________________
This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between searches. Please try again in 1 seconds.
mrmud4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #11
pasinbuy
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: florida
Posts: 3,840
Before you install your new plastic tank. Check to see if there is a 6 inch tube in the vent. If the 6 in tube is there cut it to about 1.5 inches to make your plastic tank a true 20 gallon tank.

Other wise it will be a 15 gallon tank.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #12
mrmud4x4
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rocky Mount, NC
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
Before you install your new plastic tank. Check to see if there is a 6 inch tube in the vent. If the 6 in tube is there cut it to about 1.5 inches to make your plastic tank a true 20 gallon tank.

Other wise it will be a 15 gallon tank.
are you talking about a tube inside the tank?
__________________
This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between searches. Please try again in 1 seconds.
mrmud4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #13
timatoe
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley California
Posts: 13,707
You should run the rollover valve, if you don't that's up to you. The only vent on the driver side should be the rear diff vent.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #14
mrmud4x4
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rocky Mount, NC
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
You should run the rollover valve, if you don't that's up to you. The only vent on the driver side should be the rear diff vent.
I do not know if I have a stock tank or not....but from the looks of the caps that the vent lines tie into on the tank....they look like if the tank was upside down, they would not leak....I can test that theory tomorrow. Still have the tank out....can take pics of it also.

I do have the vent line from the rear diff.....goes up to a vacuum cap behind the gas cap/filler tubes in the rear driver side quarterpanel.

As far as the vent line to the tank, it is run next to the fuel lines on the drivers side and it does look stock....it has been there clamped together with those fuel lines for what looks like the life of the jeep. I can trace that vent line out to see where it goes also.
Am I thinking correctly...is it a vent line? I don't have FI? It ties to what I am assuming are the two vent caps on top of the tank. There are no clamps on the vent lines...they just push on the fittings.
There were no other vent lines coming from that tank. I just pulled the tank out on monday.

My jeep is the 1988 Laredo YJ
__________________
This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between searches. Please try again in 1 seconds.
mrmud4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #15
timatoe
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley California
Posts: 13,707
Hmmm, a picture would be helpful, that definitely doesn't sound right.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.