89 jeep runs crapy under 1,000 rpms! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 jeep runs crapy under 1,000 rpms!

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
dougbrown
1998 TJ Wrangler 

89 jeep runs crapy under 1,000 rpms!

My 89 yj wrangler with a 4.2 I6 and webber 32/34 carb run crapy under 1,000 rpms. It doesn't idle steady and never has. Wants to idle any where from 900 rpms down to 500 on somedays. It seams over the last few days it just wants to stall when your starting out in first gear. It drops way down and then pops and sputter. If I push the clucth in it will come back up to 700 or 800. If I reve it up and then let the clutch out she fine. It also does it down shifting too at time. Once your going it seems to run just fine. It has a little owder to the exhaust but no smoke. I had replaced and caped all the vacuum lines. Also rebuild the carb a few months ago when I bought the jeep. I don't want to take it to a shop just yet so any info would be great.

I want to do the nuter by pass but not sure if I'm keeping that engine in it.

Thanks Doug!

dougbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You should do the Nutter. The computer is trying to control the stock carb but can't because it isn't there anymore. It is controlling the timing but is confused. More than likely many of the sensors the computer relies on have failed by now. After you do the Nutter you can tune it without the computer interfering.
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
swatgig17
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbrown View Post

I want to do the nuter by pass but not sure if I'm keeping that engine in it.

Thanks Doug!
You probably spent more time capping vac lines than you would doing the nutter. I don't remember spending much time on it.
swatgig17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
dougbrown
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The nutter by pass is all ele right?
dougbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Since you already have a different carb, it is just the two wires bypassing the computer and retiming it. Then you can tune the carb so it runs right (unless something else is wrong with it).

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ho...bypass-522262/
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.