89 Islander issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 Islander issues

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
xxwakefreakxx
1989 YJ Wrangler 

89 Islander issues

So I have done searches, am new to the whole jeeping thing.

On my 89 yj 2.5l, cold starting i have to hold the throttle with my foot, runs really rough until it gets warmed up.
To further explain that issue, if i don't let it warm up it will hesitate and shake while driving, acting like it is going to stall.

And the infamous gauges on these things are bugging me, i bought it with only a working speedometer and odometer, added a fuel gauge, all my gauges are dead, tach, stock fuel, water temp, oil pressure and ammeter.
Have cleaned the back of the cluster, cleaned the fuse block on the engine bay side, and checked for continuity in the flexy board.

I don't get any warning lights, no seat belt buzzer, nothing but turn signals, fuel pump starting and radio.

Any thoughts? I am completely lost

90 Dodge D250, 2wd, 5.9 gas auto, big hoss
xxwakefreakxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
kenh
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When my gauges went out it was because one of the little clip things the fuse slides into had actually broken off, so the fuse wasn't contacting anything on one side. Might be worth trying to check out, I had to replace it with an inline fuse.
kenh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
xxwakefreakxx
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I never even thought about that, some of my fuses aren't getting power on either side so that would make a lot of sense.
Unread 08-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
xxwakefreakxx
1989 YJ Wrangler 

To follow up on it, got all my silly gauges working, added a new fuse block and all gauges and warning lights work.
the little white and black wire that goes into your flexy board is how i fixed it.
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for posting the fix! Did you fix the warm up issue? I was going to suggest the coolant or air temp sensors.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
xxwakefreakxx
1989 YJ Wrangler 

so far no, i am thinking idle air motor with a mix of bad throttle position sensor, was sitting for a WHILE before i got my hands on it, oil change helped a bit, think i have a bad 02 sensor as well, (runs SO rich that its not funny) and i did adjust my idle motor for 1000rpm, which it seems to like more.
Lately the 4runner (girl and i's project) has been taking all time away from the yj, but i have big plans for it, have a guy that will help me put a sbc 350 in it.
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If it it's running rich then you need to fix it first before anything else. The cal sets up everything else off the air fuel mix. O2 or exhaust manifold cracked, leaking, lose bolts or a bad fuel pressure regulator.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
electrical , gauges , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.