'89 Gas Tank Swap Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '89 Gas Tank Swap Questions

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 11-26-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
89WhyJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

'89 Gas Tank Swap Questions

In my 89 2.5L YJ, I currently have the rectangular steel 15 gallon original gas tank...and its leaking. I recently managed to pick up a poly tank pretty cheap as a replacement. However, its the trapezoidial type, and I believe 20 gallon. My current steel tank has the circular opening for the fuel sending unit, while the new poly tank has the square opening. My current fuel pump and sending unit work fine. However, I haven't verified if the new pump is functional. So, here's my questions:

1) Will this new tank fit in the stock rectangular skid plate? Will I need to do any mods, extend the filler hoses, get longer straps, etc?

2) Are there any YJ model years with the trapezoidial tank from the factory? If so, what year...just in case I need to get a new sending unit, check valve, or fuel pump?

3) In a pinch, can I reuse the fuel pump in my current tank with the new sending unit in the new tank?

4) Last, if I can use this new tank, do I just connect the two check valves together, and tie them into the existing vapor line that runs to the charcoal canister?

Thanks for all the help!

89WhyJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89WhyJ View Post
In my 89 2.5L YJ, I currently have the rectangular steel 15 gallon original gas tank...and its leaking. I recently managed to pick up a poly tank pretty cheap as a replacement. However, its the trapezoidial type, and I believe 20 gallon. My current steel tank has the circular opening for the fuel sending unit, while the new poly tank has the square opening. My current fuel pump and sending unit work fine. However, I haven't verified if the new pump is functional. So, here's my questions:

1) Will this new tank fit in the stock rectangular skid plate? Will I need to do any mods, extend the filler hoses, get longer straps, etc?
I believe you will need the skid plate and straps for the poly tank

2) Are there any YJ model years with the trapezoidial tank from the factory? If so, what year...just in case I need to get a new sending unit, check valve, or fuel pump? All 91-95s had them and 87-90s with the 4.2 had them

3) In a pinch, can I reuse the fuel pump in my current tank with the new sending unit in the new tank?
I have no idea if it will fit

4) Last, if I can use this new tank, do I just connect the two check valves together, and tie them into the existing vapor line that runs to the charcoal canister?

Thanks for all the help!
When you say trapezoidal, you mean this tank right? http://www.mtscompany.com/images/jeep/0065_v1.jpg
All YJ poly tanks are the same. The "15 gallon" tanks just have a longer fill tube.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
89WhyJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, that's the shape of the tank. Looks like I'm going to need that skid plate and straps. Is the poly tank that much better, that its worth going through the trouble of getting parts to make it work?
Unread 11-26-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The poly tanks can leak too. Where is yours leaking from? Could it be repaired?

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

When I swapped the steel 15 gallon tank out for a poly 20, I used the tank skid for it as well. I don't think there's any way the 20 will fit in the 15 skid. I also had to change fuel hoses, but I'm already in a different kind of predicament since I moved the filler to a TJ filler in the TJ location.

I used THIS THREAD for reference.

I'm pretty sure mine came from an 80's four banger Jeep, I used the sender etc in the tank.
timatoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2014, 08:41 PM   #6
89WhyJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't pulled the tank yet. But its leaking down the back corners on both sides. I hadn't thought about repairing it as an option.

Thanks for the link and the info timatoe.
Unread 11-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #7
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah you will need the new skid I did it a few years back.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/g...k-swap-854035/
Unread 11-27-2014, 01:14 AM   #8
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87TPIYJ View Post
Yeah you will need the new skid I did it a few years back.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/g...k-swap-854035/
Excellent comparison shot in that thread.
timatoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #9
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Don't overlook to option of switching to an external fuel pump. It would allow some creative plumbing inside the tank and add the benefit of access if the pump fails later. All you need , aside from a pump, is to make a pick up tube to replace the pump inside the tank and perhaps a different fuel gauge to match the ohm reading on the new sender.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2014, 08:53 PM   #10
YJ8
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with all the information above, but I will add my experience-- I swapped a poly tank in place of a 15gal metal tank, 90 YJ, 4.2L

A) You may find the new poly tank slightly taller and may contact the underside of the body just before you fully tighten it up, not a big deal but know it is close, and position hose clamps for max clearance. If you have a body lift then no worrys. It is easy to space down if you have this problem.

B) in my case I used the poly in-tank pump (from a 95YJ), cut off the sending unit and reused/ rewired the original sending unit in its place. I used pop rivets to hold it to the pump assy, it almost looks factory. This way I could retain my working fuel gauge. This was my solution to Ohm differences on YJ fuel gauges.

C) I have run external electric pumps (Ford E2000) and the internal factory pump is the way to go, if you are worried about changing pumps cut an access hatch in the floor while the tank is out-- That is what I did/am doing.
YJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.