89 Choke plate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 Choke plate

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 02-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
Bravo181
1989 YJ Wrangler 

89 Choke plate

Hey guys, first jeep, first carbureted vehicle and first post. My jeep has always been reluctant to start in the cold, but always would after a few tries. Until tonight when I let a friend borrow it. The other day I was looking at the carb thinking this could be the source of my cold start problems and WOT acceleration issues and I remember pushing on the choke plate and it would slam shut on its own. Tonight my friend said he went to his house, let the jeep sit for about an hour then he could not get it to start. He thought he may have "flooded the carb" and when he took the air cleaner off to get to the choke plate he could not get it open to look into the carb so he forced it open with a screwdriver and now the choke plate barely shuts on its own. Any ideas on what he could have broke? Thanks for any help you can give.

Bravo181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 04:35 AM   #2
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Check the linkage to the choke pull off, probaby bent the link so now it won't shut properly.

By the way there is a spec for the pull off clearance, choke should never shut 100%

Post what carb you have, and we can go from there to help set it up for you
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 05:18 AM   #3
Bravo181
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the speedy reply, I believe I have the carter BBD 2 barrel going by what I've seen and already read here. And you were right about the bent linkage once it was light outside and I had small idea of where to look I could see the issue right away. Here at carter BBD stock needle settings are some good pics of what I'm looking at. Hopefully next I can solve the slow start problem.
Bravo181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So to help with slow starts:

for the pull off linkage the adjustment is about 1/4"; so to do it you manually first,
take the air cleaner off of course;
set the fast idle cam on the fast idle step;
push and hold the pull off diaphragm all the way in (towards the rear of the vehicle, as if it had full vacuum applied to it from the vacuum line on the back).
Then try to close the choke plate all the way manually, don't force it.
horizontal clearance from the front edge of the choke plate to the edge of the carb should be about 1/4" . that is not the exact spec but close enough. you changet the clearance by bending the linkage a little bit with pliers.

If you already did this then you need to check the operation of the choke itself; do you have an electric choke? Is there a wire plugged in to the black round choke over on the passenger side of the carb?
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
hh65pilot
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Your friend might have forced the choke spring off of its lever inside the choke. This lever or tab is really thin and it doesn't take much to force the spring to slide off of it or bend it. Hope that helps.
hh65pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.