89 ccv and pcv valves - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 ccv and pcv valves

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-11-2011, 06:06 AM   #1
Fuddmaster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

89 ccv and pcv valves

Ok I give up I thought I could figure this out. My valve cover on my 2.5l leaks oil around the oil cap and from the grommets on top. I have a pcv in both holes with grommets. I know it's not right but none of the local parts store or dealership are helpful. What have you guys done with it?

Fuddmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 08:06 AM   #2
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The ccv system doesn't use any PCV valves. Best bet is to just use straight vacuum hoses and make sure everything breathes freely. The smaller hose at the front of the valve cover can be problematic - I check once a year and clean everything out with solvent. Especially make sure that the fittings in the valve cover aren't clogged.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
Fuddmaster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

For some reason I had it set up that way. Do you have a pic of how you have it set up?
Unread 08-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddmaster View Post
For some reason I had it set up that way. Do you have a pic of how you have it set up?
Nope I don't have a pic handy, but its bone-stock. Factory hoses and all, I just make sure to clean everything out real thoroughly especially the orifices in the valve cover. I also make sure there's no leaks, especially on the little connecting hoses on the small line. Those hoses get stiff with age and heat and then they don't hold vacuum so well - that's when it starts to spit oil.
Unread 08-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
Fuddmaster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Mine wasn't bone stock when I got it. And i can find the ccv grommet but not the ccv valve. Ill have to keep fiddleing till I get it thanks
Unread 08-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Mine wasn't bone stock when I got it. And i can find the ccv grommet but not the ccv valve. Ill have to keep fiddleing till I get it thanks
For sure you need to lose the PCV valves tho. I would figure out a way to just run plain old hoses. There's probably adapters so you could put hoses in the grommets, check at someplace like autozone.
Unread 08-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
Fuddmaster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Don't run any at all or just not in the back?
Unread 08-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Don't run any at all or just not in the back?
Don't run any at all. Just straight hose on both the front and back. That's basically what the stock jeep setup does anyway.
Unread 08-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
laredojo
2002 WJ 

Here is a picture of mine, also an 89 2.5. The front one is a pcv valve, I took it out and shook it, it rattles. The rear one is a breather. Both connect to the steel bundle of vacume lines that plug into the base of the carb, there are 4 ports on the valve cover side at the bottom. The pcv valve connects to a steel line that goes towards the front of the engine the rear breather connects to a larger of the bundle and a rubber line connects to the other end of the steel line and plugs into the air box.

hope this helps.
Unread 08-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #10
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My oil filler cap and the PCV both leak. I have checked ALL over and nobody stocks the rubber gasket for the PCV valve that goes onto the cover. Anybody know where to get one? also my oil fill cap is clean as a whistle, and so is the mating surface on the valve cover, but oil leaks out. Anybody make a cork gasket for that??
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #11
laredojo
2002 WJ 

The leakage is caused most likely by blow by. Make sure all the steel tubing is clear and free of crud, the vacum ports are clear. and the airbox is tight. clean out the pcv valve and the beather, the more suction you can get to these 2 the better. Mine isnt dry but its 200% better now than when I got it.
As far as the gromets go, look at the Help rack at auto zone,some gromet will be the right one you just need to figue out which one.
also for the oil filler cap I added another rubber gasket I made from a bicycle inner tube. That tightened things up nicely.
Unread 08-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #12
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

His is a 1994 which is similar to my 1991. There isn't any breather or PCV valve on it. I'll have to post up a pic tomorrow when I have some daylight. Whoops just noticed that the engine was swapped.. dunno which valve cover or ccv system was used in the swap tho...
Unread 08-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #13
Fuddmaster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman
His is a 1994 which is similar to my 1991. There isn't any breather or PCV valve on it. I'll have to post up a pic tomorrow when I have some daylight. Whoops just noticed that the engine was swapped.. dunno which valve cover or ccv system was used in the swap tho...
89 valve cover was used with 94 intake system. I wasn't sure if I could use the 94 cable cover on that motor so I didn't swap that over. Theres another question does anybody know if I can switch them. I know there different but do the holes line up?
Unread 08-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #14
Fuddmaster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddmaster
89 valve cover was used with 94 intake system. I wasn't sure if I could use the 94 valve cover on that motor so I didn't swap that over. Theres another question does anybody know if I can switch them. I know there different but do the holes line up?
Unread 08-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #15
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
89 valve cover was used with 94 intake system. I wasn't sure if I could use the 94 cable cover on that motor so I didn't swap that over. Theres another question does anybody know if I can switch them. I know there different but do the holes line up?
You probably should go with the 89 style PCV then. I don't know about the cable cover but I see no reason why they should be very different - after all, the block and head is the same. Worse comes to worst you could always modify the cable cover to fit.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.