89 carb question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 carb question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
JoeJeep11
1989 YJ Wrangler 

89 carb question

I have a new to me yj and it has been having carb problems. The jeep has been mostly sitting for the last 2 years when i got it.
So now the problem it was idling badly( dieing at stops) so after reading a lot on BBD idle stuff I rebuild the carb today and now it won't idle at all. Starts ok and runs for awhile at a high idle but then just stops running.
Anybody have any ideas what i could have done wrong?

JoeJeep11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
HD7908
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If it's the origonal carter dump it and get a weber. The motorcraft is good too from what i understand, but I went with the Weber and its outstanding. You will need to do a nutter bypass though to get around the emissions computer, but you will be happy if you do it.
HD7908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
HD7908
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Weber 38/38 is the carb I have
HD7908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 04:03 AM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

The BBD is one of the easiest carbs to overhaul, but care must be taken any time you open any carb up.

Did you tnnk soak the carb after disassembly?

Did you do the "BBD Idle Mod" to allow it to use gasahol?

How did you set the float? What fuel pressure are you running? Did you install a new fuel filter and flush the fuel lines?

Did you have any trouble aligning the main jet needles in the jets when you put the top back on?

Did you use a vacuum gauge to set the idle mixture screws? Is your computer properly controlling the idle needles?

Also, you need to fill out your profile so we know what all is installed on your Jeep.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.