89 4.2 with weber and nutter erattic idle shuts off when stopping - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 4.2 with weber and nutter erattic idle shuts off when stopping

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
bigdog89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

89 4.2 with weber and nutter erattic idle shuts off when stopping

I have a 89 yj with 4.2 reman engine(less than 500 miles on it)and 5speed manual with weber 32/36 and nutter upgrade,it has new distributer.It runs great while driving but has errattic surging idle and will shut off sometimes at stops but starts back up no problem it is also a little hard to start when cold.I would welcome any advice

bigdog89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
TheWagoneer

sounds like a Vac leak
TheWagoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
ForestJeep89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

my suggestions are to start learning about the correct way to adjust your timing and air/fuel device[carb].
At first these things can seem massive in nature but soon become old hat.
To locate problems in these systems one usually follows a "tune up " procedure or "check" and in the process of being detailed at this usually can pinpoint issues.
Several issues have multiple causes.
Search the forum for your carb tuning sequence and search for timing sequence etc.[don't use the term sequence:}
It is possible the "rebuilder" of your motor screwed sumthin up and is yet another reason why one should learn how to engage directly with his/her rig.
ForestJeep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
bigdog89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I STARTED OVER FROM BASELINE ON CARB FOUND LEAK IN GASKET ADVANCED TIMING 8 DEGREES NOW WORKS GREAT.WHY DO YO SOME PEOPLE LIKE TO BE CONDESENDING WHEN ALL ASKED FOR WAS A FOR LITTLE ADVICE.BTW i HAVE 30 YEARS EXPERIENCE AND OWN MY OWN SHOP BUT HAVEN'T WORKED ON OLDER JEEPS BEFORE SO THOUGHT JEEP FORUM WOULD GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT MR FOREST JEEP 89
bigdog89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
ForestJeep89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I am sorry u feel looked down upon , truly..
My intent wasn't that at all, in any way.
My advice was simply to start at the beginning ,in the most basic ways, as this mundane stuff is what will gain the most baseline info on anything in life.
There was no mention of these basics attempted in your original post so I logically started at the beginning.
I can see that you did proceed with basics and it aided you in your solution by your second post, good job!
I will assume you were under stress of some kind, and were leaning towards the defensive side of perception, judging by all the yelling and accusing.
No sweat ,life can be troubling.
Please have a good day
ForestJeep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.