'89 4.2 L YJ-- stock muffler replacement to loud muffler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '89 4.2 L YJ-- stock muffler replacement to loud muffler

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-04-2009, 10:58 PM   #1
BigGixxerUSA
1989 YJ Wrangler 

'89 4.2 L YJ-- stock muffler replacement to loud muffler

I looked all over for answers but couldnt find any good ones so heres my problem:

I have a stock exhaust system on my YJ with a 4.2 and want to replace the stock muffler with a loud muffler. I just had the old muffler and tailpipe replaced at last inspection so I dont want to buy a new cat back system cuz the tailpipe is only a few months old. My current muffler a 2" center inlet/ 2-1/4" offset outlet with its body being 13" long. I dont have alot of room to work with so it needs to be less than or equal to that size. i looked at the new cheery bomb short glasspacks but dont have enough room to make the center to center fit into the offset tailpipe. plus glasspacks wont give me enough back pressure and i hear they sound like garbage. I looked into the flowmaster 40 and magnaflow freeflowing universal. those two should probably fit the best. So to sum it up, i just want a muffler that is relatively loud, sounds not ricey, and fits

anyone else have any suggestions or experience that this struggling college kid wont? I dont wanna spend more than 100 bucks...

Unread 11-05-2009, 01:27 AM   #2
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You want sounds like garbage? Pick ANY of those. Loud, resonant, obnoxious to you and everyone else. Also likely to get you a ticket if you're college age.

I can think of 50 places I'd rather spend money on my Jeep over PURPOSELY making it louder.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 01:35 AM   #3
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

personally i just redid my entire exaust and i am very happy that it is quiet now. before it was really loud and it would bug the hell out of me after abour 15 mins of driving at a constant speed

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 01:55 AM   #4
Guiderail
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I agree.

Only good non rice sound comes from a V8.
Unread 11-05-2009, 06:15 AM   #5
BigGixxerUSA
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
You want sounds like garbage? Pick ANY of those. Loud, resonant, obnoxious to you and everyone else. Also likely to get you a ticket if you're college age.

I can think of 50 places I'd rather spend money on my Jeep over PURPOSELY making it louder.
i dont want glasspacks cuz they are obnoxious and sound like garbage. i was looking for a muffler that was louder and since i am not doing anything to my headers or cat and leaving a tailpipe and not dumping it, i dont think replacing with a louder muffler will make me wake up my neighbors. i just want a better rumble.
Unread 11-05-2009, 06:20 AM   #6
BigGixxerUSA
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_nichols View Post
personally i just redid my entire exaust and i am very happy that it is quiet now. before it was really loud and it would bug the hell out of me after abour 15 mins of driving at a constant speed
what did you have before? right now mine has the volume of my neighbor's camry and i dont like that.
Unread 11-05-2009, 06:33 AM   #7
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGixxerUSA View Post
what did you have before? right now mine has the volume of my neighbor's camry and i dont like that.
Maybe I'm getting old but that is a good thing, especially with a 6 cylinder. I have a Mustang that is very loud but it sounds great but engines other than V8's just sound like crap.
Unread 11-05-2009, 06:45 AM   #8
spshultz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My 16yo son went to his friends shop and they installed a Flowmaster exhaust system on the Wrangler ('87 4.2L). When he told me what they were doing I thought "hmmm....maybe it will sound good. I had a Dodge Dakota with a Flowmaster on it and loved the way it sounded". He got it home and nope, it does not sound good. It sounds like a giant bumble bee.

Now...I'm not saying that an inline 6 can never sound like a V8. That's not true. As an example, I had an '85 Ford F150 with the 300ci inline 6 in it. I took it to a small time shop to install a Flowmaster on it. They ended up using 2.5" thick walled steel pipe (not the regular thin walled aluminized pipe) and a Flowmaster Delta-40. Cost me $80 total for the entire system. And sure enough you could not tell it had an I-6 in it. That was the best sounding inline 6 I have ever heard.

But I just don't think the 4.2L has the potential of having that deep rumble. Maybe someone will chime in who has found that perfect recipe for getting some deep sound out of the 4.2L.
spshultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 06:46 AM   #9
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I also like a good sound, but these six cylinder engines just don't have it!
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #10
Mud-n-Beer
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I looked all over for answers but couldnt find any good ones so heres my problem:

I have a stock exhaust system on my YJ with a 4.2 and want to replace the stock muffler with a loud muffler. I just had the old muffler and tailpipe replaced at last inspection so I dont want to buy a new cat back system cuz the tailpipe is only a few months old. My current muffler a 2" center inlet/ 2-1/4" offset outlet with its body being 13" long. I dont have alot of room to work with so it needs to be less than or equal to that size. i looked at the new cheery bomb short glasspacks but dont have enough room to make the center to center fit into the offset tailpipe. plus glasspacks wont give me enough back pressure and i hear they sound like garbage. I looked into the flowmaster 40 and magnaflow freeflowing universal. those two should probably fit the best. So to sum it up, i just want a muffler that is relatively loud, sounds not ricey, and fits

anyone else have any suggestions or experience that this struggling college kid wont? I dont wanna spend more than 100 bucks...
I went from a 2" exhaust, to a 2 1/4" exhaust after the cat., with a Cherry Bomb Pro Muffler. Sounds pretty good, but it can get on your nerves after awhile, especially when you are on the skinny pedal. I also don't have any carpet in my Jeep, which makes it a little bit LOUDER.

I took a chance on this muffler, but I like it, just not too good for a long drive, but it really does not bother me. To each his own

Ohh, I almost forgot, I paid $60.00 at Auto Zone.
Mud-n-Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 07:23 AM   #11
streetdoc432
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had a shop put on the Flowmaster series 40, cost me around 100$ welded in and a different tip put on the pipe. I love the sound. Much deeper, but not too loud. Of course it is not going to sound like a 5.0 Mustang with a Flowmaster and H pipe, but it is much better than stock, and runs better too.
Unread 11-05-2009, 07:47 AM   #12
Mud-n-Beer
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdoc432 View Post
I had a shop put on the Flowmaster series 40, cost me around 100$ welded in and a different tip put on the pipe. I love the sound. Much deeper, but not too loud. Of course it is not going to sound like a 5.0 Mustang with a Flowmaster and H pipe, but it is much better than stock, and runs better too.
The Cherry Bomb Pro is designed somewhat like a Flowmaster, with the wingplate design.
Unread 11-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #13
BigGixxerUSA
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud-n-Beer View Post
I went from a 2" exhaust, to a 2 1/4" exhaust after the cat., with a Cherry Bomb Pro Muffler. Sounds pretty good, but it can get on your nerves after awhile, especially when you are on the skinny pedal. I also don't have any carpet in my Jeep, which makes it a little bit LOUDER.

I took a chance on this muffler, but I like it, just not too good for a long drive, but it really does not bother me. To each his own

Ohh, I almost forgot, I paid $60.00 at Auto Zone.

how hard was that to install? the cherry bomb pro is the same size as my muffler now but i need like another 2 inches to put the adapter on the cat to make it fit. i know my brother said something about a sleeve that goes on a pipe to make it fit without taking up extra length but i have never seen or heard of those. did you get a new tailpipe cuz i dont wanna spend like 30 bucks on some metal tubing to make it fit.
Unread 11-05-2009, 10:24 AM   #14
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
it had a cherry bomb. but it was an actaul muffler not a glass pack. and it also had a dump tip

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 04:55 AM   #15
Mud-n-Beer
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
how hard was that to install? the cherry bomb pro is the same size as my muffler now but i need like another 2 inches to put the adapter on the cat to make it fit. i know my brother said something about a sleeve that goes on a pipe to make it fit without taking up extra length but i have never seen or heard of those. did you get a new tailpipe cuz i dont wanna spend like 30 bucks on some metal tubing to make it fit.
I bought the muffler myself, but had a very good exhaust mechanic put the system together. The guy that did the system, welded on a very short piece of pipe after the cat that increased the size to 2 1/4", clamped, or welded the muffler on, and custom bent a tailpipe the way that I wanted it to exit the rear. This guy is GOOD!!!! When I need a custom exhaust done, I take it to only one place.

The only thing that I can tell you, find a great exhaust installer.

The place where I go is ( Brooks Muffler Center ) in White Marsh, MD.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.