89 4.2 flooding problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 4.2 flooding problems

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-07-2013, 05:12 AM   #1
vtmtnman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

89 4.2 flooding problems

I've got a 1989 Wrangler with the 4.2 engine, with a Holley remanufactured Carter BBD carb. Last week it started flooding badly going up hills (and hills are everywhere here). And when I say flooding it's bad, it takes a lot of time cranking with the throttle wide open to clear it, spits out black smoke, etc.. What's driving me crazy is it didn't do this the first couple months I had it this year. It went up these same hills just fine. It would slow down a bit but would get up them at reasonable speeds. The only two things that happened recently were I replaced the valve cover gasket and cleaned the rockers and pushrods up of the oil sludge caked on them 2 weeks ago, and shortly after that I took it up a very nasty trail. Hitting some bad bumps (no choice but to throttle it through some mud) I noticed it sputtering some but it didn't die. I don't think anything happened when I worked on the gasket/rockers because when flat the engine runs fine even when revved up to high rpms.

Could that bumpy trail have bumped something off with the carb? The float seems like it's at the right height (stock specs anyhow). Is there anything except the carb that could be doing this? I could really use some suggestions for what to do here, I don't have a huge budget either, and I hate driving a loaner car to work...

vtmtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #2
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Holley remanufactured your Carter BBD?

If you have the Carter carb, all I gotta say is ------ that thing sucks on hills. While off roading, I would continually have to feather the gas to keep it from starving on the down hill. Switched to a Motorcraft and the problem went away.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:04 AM   #3
vtmtnman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, there's a sticker that says Holley Remanufacturing on it. It's definately the BBD carb.

If the only possible source of this problem is the carb I guess I'll have to get a different carb (I did some reading on the forum here on the MC 2100). I just want to be sure it's nothing else before I start throwing money at it.
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:30 AM   #4
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, my Carter worked perfectly on flat land (which we have plenty of here in the Midwest), but get her off camber and she's a pig. I had to readjust mine monthly, even after I had a guy rebuild it for me. For the $2-300 it costs for an upgrade to the Weber or Motorcraft, it's WELL worth it. The reduced maintenance time alone is worth the investment.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like your float/float valve is damaged or stuck open. Usually an easy fix. Bad bumps can sometimes damage the valve or bend the float arm

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
Sounds like your float/float valve is damaged or stuck open. Usually an easy fix. Bad bumps can sometimes damage the valve or bend the float arm
^^ This. Pull the top off and check, no need to remove the carb.

Check the float for leaks, usually done by weighing it.

I have 220,000 miles on BBD carb on this jeep, it gives me good service.
Unread 06-08-2013, 05:59 AM   #7
vtmtnman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
I'll have to check that. I did lower the float a bit but it didn't help. I didn't check the inlet valve.
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
act3k

You should check your stepper motor and vacuum lines, your stepper controls the air fuel ratio and can cause a lot of issues. I had a horrible flooding problem so I bought a MC2150 off eBay for 100 bucks and an adapter plate and it works amazing now. Personally I would junk that BBD
act3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
vtmtnman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I think even if I get it working, I'll replace it eventually. It's a lot more complicated than it needs to be.
Unread 06-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yup. Get an intake and a four barrel and be happy

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.