89 4.2 to 96 XJ 4.0 Swap Thread w/ wiring - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 4.2 to 96 XJ 4.0 Swap Thread w/ wiring

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-29-2010, 08:48 PM   #31
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I will respond here again.
I am running both the upstream and downstream O2 sensors.
Just some useful information: I think we need to have about 34 psi on the fuel rail.

WTS: 4.2 parts. Fuel lines, pump, block, head, accessories, just ask
green89yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #32
five-string
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Update...
jeep is running!

I have about 3 codes to deal with and a possible idle stepper problem (high idle) but wow! What a difference! Lots more power. And I am hoping better fuel economy.
White Jeep Club #119
☼lllllll☼
five-string is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2010, 10:08 AM   #33
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by five-string View Post
Update...
jeep is running!

I have about 3 codes to deal with and a possible idle stepper problem (high idle) but wow! What a difference! Lots more power. And I am hoping better fuel economy.
Great Job! We love to hear good news around here!
Unread 12-16-2010, 06:37 AM   #34
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

let me know what you find on the high idle because my high idle only kicks in after the Jeep is warm. Right when i start it it idles like crap. What codes are you throwing?
Unread 12-16-2010, 07:46 AM   #35
five-string
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well, as it turns out, the high idle appeared after I thoroughly cleaned the throttle body. It seems all the crud in there was blocking the air flow at idle. When I removed all that dirt, air was able to move around the edges of the butterfly plate and the idle speed increased. When I held a finger on the edge of the plate it would block the leaking air and idle dropped.
I loosened the two screws and adjusted the plate so it closed better, adjusted the set screw for idle speed and I got the idle down to 800-900 rpms.

It still idles like I have a huge cam in it when I first start it up. And it goes right to the 800-900 rpms immediately which I think it should run faster at cold start up, shouldn't it? Then after about 30 seconds it settles into a smooth idle. I haven't checked codes lately. But what baffles me is the Jeep doesn't start up or run any different after I clear the ecm by disconnecting the battery. It seems it is not learning anything over time. Does my ecm have a learning disability? I would really like to figure out this rough cold idle problem.

Edit: I am only running the upstream o2 sensor. I don't have a cat or second o2 sensor bung.
White Jeep Club #119
☼lllllll☼
Unread 12-21-2010, 10:07 PM   #36
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would try to run that second o2 sensor. Is there any way for you to post up a video? I think mine is doing something similar.
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:54 PM   #37
GAT72991
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just in case you are still having problems with that lock cylinder, here's a good link i found a while back on steering columns...mainly to tighten them up but has awesome instructions to get to/remove the lock cylinder...etc.
BC4x4.COM four wheel drive, 4x4, offroad and fourwheeling site.
GAT72991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #38
five-string
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green89yj View Post
I would try to run that second o2 sensor. Is there any way for you to post up a video? I think mine is doing something similar.
I recorded a vid but the sound is not the best for hearing the rough idle. I will try again, concentrating on the exhaust.
White Jeep Club #119
☼lllllll☼
Unread 12-24-2010, 04:49 AM   #39
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Oh just incase you don't not know a fI engine will idle about the same rpm cold or hot. Not like a carbed engine that has to have a higher idle speed for over coming a choke.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #40
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
Oh just incase you don't not know a fI engine will idle about the same rpm cold or hot. Not like a carbed engine that has to have a higher idle speed for over coming a choke.
Right, but right when they start up don't they run high for a couple seconds just to warm up a little.
Unread 01-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #41
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If I think about it is just a touch higher but only a couple hundred rpm. Not really enough to call it high.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #42
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Not like a 1800 RPM high idle but noticeably higher.
I'm still having very similar symptoms and haven't had time to trouble shoot.

Tags
242 , 4.0 , 4.0 swap , asd , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.