89 4.2 to 96 XJ 4.0 Swap Thread w/ wiring - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 4.2 to 96 XJ 4.0 Swap Thread w/ wiring

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-03-2010, 11:19 PM   #16
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What Bastidjeep is saying, is that you have to use a 4.0 flywheel, unless you want to pay out the rear for Hesco's kit to relocate the CPS

WTS: 4.2 parts. Fuel lines, pump, block, head, accessories, just ask
green89yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2010, 11:21 PM   #17
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hey, I managed to start and run it today for like 5 minutes with no cutting or splicing really required ha. Yesterday I went to the Pick and Pull Junkyard and got some under dash stuff from a 96 XJ and hooked it up to the bulkhead connector and started it, just cause I needed the moral boost.
Unread 04-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #18
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastidjeep View Post
When I did my conversion all I did was that I left the original bulkhead plugs of the YJ on both sides. I labeled everything and left 1 ft long pigtails on the YJ wiring. I then soldered and heat shrank all the necessary wiring in the conversion. The only 2 wires I ran through the center bulkhead rubber plug was my check engine light wire and fuel pump wire. green89yj, somewhere along the line I think you are going to have to cut and splice wiring. I think if you can post some pictures it may give all of us a better understanding of exactly what you are doing and may be able to steer you in the right direction.
Thus far, I only had to cut and splice one wire. It was for the Tach. I removed it from one cavity and tried to install it into another cavity, the cavity was for a smaller plug.

I haven't verified this yet, but I had discovered that the fuel pump wire (orange) was already there. It appeared that the 2.5L EFI harness was also used for the 4.2L carbed, with the necessary changes i.e. lack of electric fuel pump on 4.2L. I haven't verified this yet, but I did trace down this wire to an empty relay plug. Could be as simple as plug-and-play under the dash? I will run a test on it this week to see.

Sign at an old salvage yard,
"All parts have been road tested."
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #19
SkullTripper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green89yj View Post
What Bastidjeep is saying, is that you have to use a 4.0 flywheel, unless you want to pay out the rear for Hesco's kit to relocate the CPS
Where can I find one of those? and how do I know which tranny I have or do 87s all come witht he same ones? 87 4.2 auto 3spd and will the 4.0 flywheel bolt right up?

[COLOR="Lime"][B]My 1987 Jeep Wrangler Build..[/B][/COLOR]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/z-o-r-v-87yj-build-slow-978747/[/url]
SkullTripper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #20
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

that will probably be the BA-10-5 which is pretty much junk. You might try finding an AX15 from a 4.0 jeep that would have the right flywheel already, the only issue is that your T-Case might not have the right input shaft to match up with the tranny
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #21
SkullTripper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

yeah I don't have that kind of money... I'll be doing good to afford the new flexplate... my wifes car jsut broke today I got home and noticed it smoking open the hood and oil everywhere barely had any in it... so I'm SUPER broke plus with college comin up will a 4.0 flexplate bolt right on?

[COLOR="Lime"][B]My 1987 Jeep Wrangler Build..[/B][/COLOR]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/z-o-r-v-87yj-build-slow-978747/[/url]
SkullTripper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #22
Bastidjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullTripper View Post
yeah I don't have that kind of money... I'll be doing good to afford the new flexplate... my wifes car jsut broke today I got home and noticed it smoking open the hood and oil everywhere barely had any in it... so I'm SUPER broke plus with college comin up will a 4.0 flexplate bolt right on?
For you automatic guys I do not know that answer. I am sure someone on here can give you the correct one.
Bastidjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #23
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

I don't have the answers for all autos that came in the Jeeps, but This I can say.

A 4.0L flex plate will bolt in place of the original 4.2L. What will be needed is one of two things. 1, get an auto tranny that came out of a 4.0L Jeep (YJ or XJ Cherokee). 2, there is a way to adapt a CPS onto a bell housing that did not come with this provision. I do not have the link handy, but a search on CPS conversion should help you closer to what you're looking for. This search will also yield answers regarding the starter issue, if there are any.

Good luck!

Unread 04-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #24
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well. I drove it yesterday. I have given up all hope of using the 4.2 steering column and will probably just incorporate the ignition switch into a flat dash and maybe the turn signal somehow.
Unread 04-13-2010, 11:07 AM   #25
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green89yj View Post
Well. I drove it yesterday. I have given up all hope of using the 4.2 steering column and will probably just incorporate the ignition switch into a flat dash and maybe the turn signal somehow.
I am curious. What trouble are you having with the column? I remember you had some trouble with the lock cylinder.

Unread 05-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #26
Project_Sparta
2005 KJ Liberty 

Im fixing to do a project like this, My brother has a 89 Xj with a blown motor with a bad tranny, but a rolled 96 xj with all parts necessary, But I really dont know if I need to take the whole harness out of the 96, they are both 4.0 as far as I know I do know the 96 is HO. someone told me the harness on the 89 did not have the right connections and abandoned the project.
Project_Sparta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #27
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the 89 is a Renix injection system as well as OBDI instead of OBDII.
Unread 11-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #28
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hey, been getting some questions so I will post up some new stuff and open this back up to contribution.
Sorry it slacked off but school started and English 1101 means lots of writing.
Unread 11-18-2010, 08:07 AM   #29
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

We understand how things go, especially with the holidays coming up. Good luck!

Unread 11-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #30
five-string
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm the question guy. Ohh! Ohh! Ohh! (five-string waves his arm wildly in the air from the back of the classroom)

I'll post some of my questions here for other's benefit...

1. Are you running the stock xj fuel pump? I have discovered the '96 is unique because it it the only year pump to have a built-in regulator right on the pump so no return line is needed from the fuel rail.

2. Are you running one or two O2 sensors? If just one, do you have to do anything to trick the ECM into thinking there is a second one downstream present?

FYI, I am working on a '90 Yj that I have installed a 4.0 HO head on, (ported, polished, otherwise stock everything) and am in the process of getting the wiring, MPFI, ECM, etc all hooked up. The donor was a '90 XJ that had a '96 motor installed by PO. OBDII system. The XJ ran well before I pulled the motor. That alone tells me the OBDII system can be made to work in older vehicles, unlike many posts I have read saying the OBDII system is too difficult to work with.
White Jeep Club #119
☼lllllll☼
five-string is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
242 , 4.0 , 4.0 swap , asd , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.