89 4.2 to 4.0 swap wiring harness question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 4.2 to 4.0 swap wiring harness question

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 10-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
beaver24

89 4.2 to 4.0 swap wiring harness question

I know this has been asked a bunch of times, but I can't find anyone who fits my situation. I am swapping a 4.0 into my 89 yj. I went to a guy that parts out jeeps for an engine harness and he suggested I swap both sides of the bulkhead. He gave me everything I need from a donor YJ, but I was just wondering if that was overkill as everything I read says that wiring the engine harness is not too hard. Most people use XJ harnesses, but mine is out of a 94 YJ Should I just suck it up and do both sides or is doing just the engine harness easy enough? Can anyone help out with this?

Unread 10-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ive just finished the exact same swap. i had to use the engine harness, dash harness, and tail light/fuel pump harness. everything plugged right up. i have a thread on my swap if you wanna see pics

http://www.crossedup4x4.com/apps/for...rangler?page=2

i still gotta take and post final pics.
94chb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
beaver24

How bad was the wiring swap. It just looks so overwhelming. I just figured that only 5 of them go out of the bulkhead. I guess if I'm gonna do it I should do it completly, but it looks like a real pain. Did you rebuild your 4.0? It seems like you just swapped it.
Unread 10-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

its not that bad.just unplug and plug in.

i pulled everything off my 89 wrangler it was a 4.2 carb with auto trans, and i swapped in everything from a 91 wrangler 4.0 FI 5 speed.
Unread 01-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
beaver24

I finally got some time to strip this thing down and start my conversion. Engine is out 4.0 is being rebuilt. I swapped both engine and dash harnesses from a 94 Wrangler. Dash harness was a pain but it is in. The only issue I have is there are 2 connectors I cannot find a mate to. One of them is the connector that comes back through the firewall where the wires for the sensors used to come. There is a rectangle female connector say 10-12 spot that I cannot find a mate to. The other is a square blur connector with quite a few wires going to it that comes out of the harness after the Fuel Injector rail. Pics are attached. Thanks.
Chris
img_1473.jpg   img_1474.jpg  
Unread 01-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

The grey connector is for ABS, 90% sure of it. You could trace back to the PDC relay to verify.

That black with red terminal lock goes through the firewall just above and to the right of the gas pedal..

It has the wires for all the gauges, ignition switch and a power feed. If you got a matched set of harnesses then you should see the mating end on the dash harness. It is an important connection and the Jeep will not crank without it. Nor will you have gauges.

Side note.

Wiring is not that hard if you look at it one wire at a time. A couple small tools and a wiring diagram is all you need.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
brentd711
1990 YJ Wrangler 

How did you connect your gauges when you did the dash harness swap? The '89 and '94 gauges are different animals.
brentd711 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentd711 View Post
How did you connect your gauges when you did the dash harness swap? The '89 and '94 gauges are different animals.
Indeed, the speedometer is now electrically driven with a VSS signal as opposed to cable. The center information POD is different, CEL light for instance. It can be made to work but you need to understand the differences.
Unread 01-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
beaver24

He gave me the gauges with the harness so I have all that. I know its a matched set as I watched him pull the harness from the jeep. After reading your post I looked a little harder, that other connector is there so if the other one is for abs I think I'm OK on the engine harness side. Matching the wires thus far has been easy routing them under the steering wheel and taking the dash apart was the PITA. The other issue I have with this harness is that the wires from the dash to the rear brakes/fuel pump don't seem to match up. the brake lights are 3 wire on my old harness and 4 wire on the new. The other thing I'm not sure of is how the fuel pump/fuel gague connects on the new harness. The old one was in the rear brake harness, but I can't see a connector for that either.
So far the swap has been very straight forward, there are quite a few nickel and dime type pieces to get, but mostly its been OK. Having a couple of people who solely part out Jeeps in my neck of the woods helps out a lot. I haven't taken many pics, but I plan to do a writeup when it is done. Hopefully in a few weeks. I plan on having the wiring done tomorrow, then I just need to wait for the motor.
Unread 01-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

PMing phone number
Unread 01-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #11
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i went through all of this when i did my swap to, the tail lights isnt a big deal, the 4 wire is with a ground wire, the 3 wire doesnt, the lights ground when bolted up. the fuel pump wire is there just look
Unread 01-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
beaver24

I would assume the fuel pump/ gauge wire has a connector on it, unless they cut it accidentally? There is definitely only 2 4 pin connectors for lights on that harness. That part isn't like the front where I could overlook a connector, its pretty basic. You don't happen to have a diagram or FSM do you? Yours was a 91 so its a bit different, but maybe I can look for a specific colored wire that might be cut.
Unread 01-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i used 91 harness but i used 95 fuel pump assembly its a 3 wire plug towards driver tail light.

black yellow tracer is ground
brown is sending unit to gauge
and orange with black tracer is pump power
Unread 01-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #14
beaver24

Is it possible that connector comes off the engine harness rather than the body harness? There are only 6 or 7 wires coming out of the harness after the rubber boot that passes through the body. All of them go to the lights, and then there are 2 plugs black and white that come off of the passenger tail light. I see a connector on the engine harness that appears close to the correct shape and size. Does anyone know which harness the connection is on? If not I guess I'm pulling this harness out and bringing in back to the guy tomorrow.
Unread 01-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #15
brentd711
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The fuel pump/gauge wires in the '93 harness I just put in my '90 were part of the transfer case (4WD switch) & backup light bundle coming out of the PDC.
brentd711 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.