89 2.5l running issue - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 2.5l running issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-18-2014, 04:56 AM   #16
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would test it just the same. Its a pretty common problem in the cold regions.. don't know so much about florida.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 06:56 AM   #17
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You gave a list of things you have checked. I wish you would have recorded what you got for readings on them. The fact that you have a good 5 minutes before it starts acting up tells you that its an open loop closed loop issue when it starts to read the O2 sensor and use all the sensors for calibrating the air fuel and timing.

First thing on the renix setup is the adjustments. You must set the tps, IAS, and WOT. The adjustments are in the manual. You must set these up. Also, the fact that it immeadiately started to act like the problem with the O2 sensor disconnected makes me suspicious that you are on the problem. Try disconnecting the coolant temp sensor and see what happens.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #18
98poswrangler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I will check both when I get home, thanks guys
98poswrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #19
98poswrangler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok tryin to go through thins, my map sensor, input voltage 5volts, ignition on but not running output voltage is 5 volts, upon firing up jeep output voltage drops to .89 volts, manual sent to me says for a hot engine there should be 1.5-2.1 volt drop with hot idleing engine, obviously mine is dropping 4.2, does this mean a bad map or something else? For some reason my meter is not reading ohms today, for both the mat and cts im showin zero ohms no matter where my meter is set
Unread 02-18-2014, 03:35 PM   #20
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You need to set idle first.
Unread 02-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #21
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Do the adjustments.
Unread 02-18-2014, 04:10 PM   #22
98poswrangler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

How would I set idle? Looking through the manual trying to find it. We adjusted the tps when we checked it using the voltages, is there anything else?
Unread 02-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #23
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Idle actuator motor.
Unread 02-19-2014, 06:21 PM   #24
98poswrangler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ok to get the proper voltage output at the tps the lever is almost set to wot, at idle position have no voltage at all. bad tps?? when the engine starts surging even if i manually hold the tps to the proper 4.6 volts the surging does not change. also it does not matter which sensor i unplug, the mat, cts, tps, o2, the engine continues to surge, and i am disconnecting the battery in between each test. if i unplug the map electrical connector or the crank position sensor the engines dies straight away. on a side note my temp gauge does not work, dont know if that has anything to do with anything as it has been not working for over a year, bad coolant temp sensor? this issue started with an oil leak on the top of the valve cover. as far as idle, the plunger is set so that when the idle kicks down it is right around 1000, im still trying to find it all in the manual, for ****s and giggles i swapped the relays around and stuck a new map but no difference. im starting to think about parting the damn thing out, this has been an annoying month!! thanks for the help guys
Unread 02-19-2014, 06:46 PM   #25
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Did you check and set the idle motor? It sounds like the tps is bad. Those adjustments tell you what the computer is seeing and if it was that far off then it definitely is bad and having an effect.
Unread 02-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #26
98poswrangler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

having a hard time finding it in the manuals, i plan on checking that tomorrow, while the engine is surging the plunger is not moving. the tps input voltage is always 5 volts no matter what its doing.
Unread 02-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #27
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The TPS voltage should be constant unless the throttle is moved. Then it should be linear.
Unread 02-20-2014, 06:37 AM   #28
98poswrangler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

K ill update tonight thanks for the help
Unread 02-20-2014, 06:37 PM   #29
98poswrangler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

no luck today, i think my meter is fried, the idle actuator motor setting may be right, im getting a new meter tomorrow, could it possible for this thing to run if all this crap is bad? it was fine then all of a sudden on a rainy day with a bad oil leak, whammo it starts.
Unread 02-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #30
98poswrangler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok had to take a few days off, ok idle speed actuator shows 4.95 volts at idle, dont quite know if thats correct, I think its bad, should it not be 4.9 at cold start and closer to zero at warm idle? I followed the way in the manual i believe.The reason I ask is I had to adjust the plunger inward to get that reading and its barely touching the throttle plate, the other way it seems like the plunger isnt strong enough to hold the plate open, either way it still surges. Check the tps with the isa set both ways and I can not get more than 1.7 volts max as t idle and the book calls for 4.6, bad tps also? And the map was bad as it would not hold vacuum and has since been replaced, but alas, did not fix anything.

Tags
bogging , help needed , stalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.