'89 2.5L Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '89 2.5L Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-03-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
89WhyJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

'89 2.5L Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement

Found out my intake manifold gasket is leaking and causing my engine to run like a turd. I'd like to save about $400 and do the job myself. I've read quite a few topics and posts on doing the job, and most folks say it's no big deal. However, most posts and writeups are for either the the 2.5L MPI or the 4.0. I've got the 2.5L TBI, so there are some differences such as the coolant lines that run through the intake manifold. My main concern is getting everything taken apart from the manifold...vacuum lines, fuel lines, wiring, etc...and put back together properly. Of course, those exhaust manifold bolts don't look like they are going to come off without a struggle either. Has anyone done the replacement on the 2.5L TBI? How much of a pain in the arse is it versus the MPI or the 4.0? Any insight or tips would be appreciated!

89WhyJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
89WhyJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Btt
Unread 12-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It is essentially the same as the 2.5L MPFI. The only real big difference is the EGR tube. It is a PITA and the most difficult part about the whole job! Take the drivers fender off to do the job. You will save yourself hours and hours of frustration trying to do the manifold and EGR bolts. It is really not a bad job to do. Make sure while you are doing it to check the exhaust manifold for cracks down by the collector tubes.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
89WhyJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the heads up on the EGR tube! That's the kind of information that could save a lot of time and effort.
Unread 12-12-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
gatorbubba
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I've done it myself also, and it's not bad at all, just take your time. One thing I learned this weekend while rebuilding my throttle body was that Chrysler/Mopar has disontinued some of the gaskets I needed, so I had to make them, but if you are just replacing the intake/exhaust gasket, you shouldn't run into this. The wiring connectors on the manifold are mostly unique, so as long as you hook everything back up, it will end up in the right place.
gatorbubba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
89WhyJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbubba View Post
I've done it myself also, and it's not bad at all, just take your time. One thing I learned this weekend while rebuilding my throttle body was that Chrysler/Mopar has disontinued some of the gaskets I needed, so I had to make them, but if you are just replacing the intake/exhaust gasket, you shouldn't run into this. The wiring connectors on the manifold are mostly unique, so as long as you hook everything back up, it will end up in the right place.
The Hayne's manual says to remove the throttle body from the intake manifold. Is that not necessary? If I can leave it attached, then I don't have to worry about that gasket.
Unread 12-13-2011, 06:38 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can get the gasket for the throttle body. Take the time to clean the TB when you can. The gaket is only a few dollars.
Unread 12-13-2011, 06:44 AM   #8
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89WhyJ View Post
The Hayne's manual says to remove the throttle body from the intake manifold. Is that not necessary? If I can leave it attached, then I don't have to worry about that gasket.
No, you do not need to remove it. Take some photos of the vacuum routing and brackets before you remove them; those pics may come in handy when you need to figure out how it goes back together.
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 06:50 AM   #9
89WhyJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
You can get the gasket for the throttle body. Take the time to clean the TB when you can. The gaket is only a few dollars.
Thanks again for the heads up. Good idea about cleaning the throttle body. I'm also going to be replacing the thermostat housing gasket (no big deal), and the exhaust donut gasket. Hopefully, I can get those bolts out of the manifold/downpipe connection! I figure its best to go ahead and replace all these things while I have the whole mess taken apart.
Unread 12-13-2011, 07:01 AM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

x2 with EAbiker. It isn't necessary to remove the throttle body and a pic is worth a thousand words. Take the opportunity a do a writeup with the pics. I wish I would have when I did mine. That upper ERG tube bolts and the middle manifold bolts are a real pita. Get some carb cleaner and clean out the egr tube. around the base. There is a little metal manifold gasket on the egr I couldn't find. It has a much smaller diameter then the tube. You need that gasket to limit the vacuum draw from the egr. Take the time to clean everything up. Look at the exhaust manifold for cracks especially by the collector tubes. Mine was cracked and needed to be replaced. Tou are going to need a torque wrench to put it back together correctly.
Unread 12-13-2011, 07:59 AM   #11
gatorbubba
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The base mount gasket is easy to get, as is the gasket that seals the air intake to the top of the throttle body. The one I can't seem to find is the one that goes between the two halves of the throttle body. The old one wasn't sealing properly, that's why I had to replace it. You shouldn't have this problem as long as you dont disassemble the throttle body, which you don't need to.
Unread 12-13-2011, 08:35 AM   #12
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Did you ever find one Gatorbubba? If you didn't notice I have the TBI too and I didn't pull apart the throttle body when I did mine. I know they make rebuild kits for the TB but I have gone down that road yet. it would be good info to know for future refrence.
Unread 12-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #13
gatorbubba
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well, yes and no. I had to make one the other day to put it back together, but as I still have problems, I'll be taking it apart again this weekend. I did notice on NAPA online that they listed a rebuild kit online, including the diaphragm, which I think may be my problem. Unfortunately, their picture online appears to be for a carbuerator kit and does not include a specific listing of parts included. So then I checked their online Echlin Fuel line catalog (which contains this kit), which lists all the parts and has pictures for most of items available for this product line. Take a guess as to whether or not the catalog has a picture of the kit.... it doesn't and includes very little detail. So I will be going to NAPA this week at some point to get some more info, I'll post anything I find there.
Unread 12-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #14
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You might like this thread Gatorbubba.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/8...ocess-1293442/
Unread 12-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #15
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I just bookmarked it myself for future refrence.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.