88 YJ vibration on acceleration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 88 YJ vibration on acceleration

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 10-27-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
awschucks
1988 YJ Wrangler 

88 YJ vibration on acceleration

HI,
I just picked up an 88 Wrangler and it has a pretty bad vibration when you accelerate from about 10 to 30 MPH in both 2WD and 4WD. Soo, I did check the rear drive shaft and the u joints appear to be tight, but the output shaft has about an 1/4" of play up and down. Would this cause a major vibration? I'm pretty familiar with the feel of a U joint going bad and it does not feel like u joints.
Thanks.,
Dave

awschucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
93jeepREDSOX
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Is it lifted? if so then how much? does it have a t-case drop?
1993 YJ 4" RE lift, 1/2" shackles, AA SYE Kit, 33x12.50 Trxus M/T, Warn bumbers front and rear, Warn M8000 winch, 4 Hella fog lights, Magnaflow cat, flowmaster muffler with no tailpipe, herced tub, tj flares

HOW BOUT THEM REDSOX

My Rigrator score 535RRv1.0 BOA 25
93jeepREDSOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2007, 07:29 PM   #3
awschucks
1988 YJ Wrangler 

No lift Stock Wrangler

HI,
It's a stock Wrangler that has only 54k miles.

Dave
awschucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
93jeepREDSOX
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I do not think that the output shaft should have any play in it. It should sit in snug. I think that is the culprate, espessially on a stock jeep. Hopefully it is not messing up the tailhousing of your trasfer case.

Oh and by the way, some other guys will come in here and yell at you to fill out your rig specs. This really does help with the diagnosis of problems.

Welcome to the forum.
1993 YJ 4" RE lift, 1/2" shackles, AA SYE Kit, 33x12.50 Trxus M/T, Warn bumbers front and rear, Warn M8000 winch, 4 Hella fog lights, Magnaflow cat, flowmaster muffler with no tailpipe, herced tub, tj flares

HOW BOUT THEM REDSOX

My Rigrator score 535RRv1.0 BOA 25
93jeepREDSOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
Incursorio
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have exactly the same problem here! When I start from the stop, I hear a "kick" and after that, ONLY when starting on hills, I hear chirping sound from somewhere under my jeep.. .
It can be heard only when pressing accel. pedal on hills going upwards, never downwards..

What could that be? It's a 1995 YJ, TF999 auto and 4.0L HO engine..

Here's a video of the sound:
(tire burning was UNINTENTIONAL!)

YouTube - JEEP YJ - Strange noise in rear differential
Unread 09-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
5.7YJ

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have exactly the same problem here! When I start from the stop, I hear a "kick" and after that, ONLY when starting on hills, I hear chirping sound from somewhere under my jeep.. .
It can be heard only when pressing accel. pedal on hills going upwards, never downwards..

What could that be? It's a 1995 YJ, TF999 auto and 4.0L HO engine..

Here's a video of the sound:
(tire burning was UNINTENTIONAL!)

Sounds like your u-joints are dry, replace them.
5.7YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
Incursorio
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Could it be that? Just noticed the squeak is less noticable (or almost non existent) during 4HI mode.
Unread 09-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
yoda604
1989 YJ Wrangler 

most likely u-joints. sometimes you can try to check them as much as you want on the ground and they seem fine, but aren't. i suggest jacking up the rear end and make sure the vehicle is in neutral and then check your u-joints.
yoda604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #9
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awschucks View Post
Soo, I did check the rear drive shaft and the u joints appear to be tight, but the output shaft has about an 1/4" of play up and down. Would this cause a major vibration?
100% yes!

I know....old thread.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2010, 12:22 AM   #10
Incursorio
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Okaaay.. it's pouring rain and I can barely feel vibration in 4wd; it's almost nonexistant. WTF is happening
Unread 09-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #11
jmrcustom88

ok i have an 88 yj lifted with a brand new dana 44. we also welded it so driveshaft is as straight as it can be, yet on the gas i have a bad vibration and u joints are ok , also like a clunk taking off but as soon as i put cluch in its goen and it sound like its in the back HELP

OH its lifted 5 inches with 35s
jmrcustom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #12
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrcustom88 View Post
ok i have an 88 yj lifted with a brand new dana 44. we also welded it so driveshaft is as straight as it can be, yet on the gas i have a bad vibration and u joints are ok , also like a clunk taking off but as soon as i put cluch in its goen and it sound like its in the back HELP

OH its lifted 5 inches with 35s
Fill out your profile so you don't have to add things like lift and tire size.

If your pinion angle looks alright as you mentioned, how much slip are you getting out of your driveshaft? Maybe out of the slip yoke on your transfer case? Is there a SYE installed, because I'll bet with 5" your ujoints aren't happy on the TC side and they're binding up. I have slight vibration and have done everything but a motor mount lift, maybe that'll help you as well..

Post back when your profile is squared away
Unread 09-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #13
Sawicki4wd
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check to that your axle is straight. I blew one of the centering pins on my axle last year on a trip up to one of my favorite spots and it moved my axle back about 1/4 of and inch you would be able to tell by looking at it bit on the road it shook like a mo fo
Sawicki4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #14
Sawicki4wd
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Any luck. If not check your u bolts. All of mine were loose after my swap and I got a bad vibration from the axle shifting bad and forth. On acceleration I kept hearing a bad clunk to. So I tightened um amd it went away
Sawicki4wd is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.