88 YJ Total Rebuild - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 88 YJ Total Rebuild

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #91
1hand
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
I wanted to get a pellet stove for my shop, damn things are expensive!! I ended up with a 120, 000 BTU propane unit that sucks the oxygen out of my shop
I used to have a 125k diesel/kero portable turbine heater, Loud and stinky!!

This is a 50,000 btu thermostat controlled that has a 120# hopper "3 bags". It was $1600. The double wall stainless exhaust fittings where pricey to get through the wall $400. But is nice, you can vent through any wall, and sucks in out side air, preheats it with the exhaust. This is nice if you have flammable fumes floating around the garage, its not force feeding them flumes. Ash clean up is a breeze, every 10 bags of pellets "400 lbs" you suck up the ash with a little shop vac "about a 1 1/2 gals of ash"

Unread 03-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #92
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Yep, jealous. My dad has one at his house and other than my annual trip to stack a few pallets of pellets that thing is awsome. I really wanted one so I could safely leave heat on in my shop while I'm gone, just to keep it around 50.

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #93
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Cool build!! Will be watching! One thing I would suggest, Don't herculine the tub. It looks like crap in My opinion. Spray it with Raptor liner. Far superior over Herc! Keep up the great work.
rinking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #94
1hand
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinking View Post
Cool build!! Will be watching! One thing I would suggest, Don't herculine the tub. It looks like crap in My opinion. Spray it with Raptor liner. Far superior over Herc! Keep up the great work.
Thanks for watching. I have a couple of cans of the Herc that I bought once for my pickup that I never used. I will look into options when we get that far..............long time yet!
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #95
1hand
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I started a little bit on tearing down the front axle. I did manage to get one of the locking hubs off. Only had one cap screw that rounded out on that hub. Then I was off to town to get an axle nut socket, and then got the spindle and brakes off. I had then found I need a Ball Joint Spanner Wrench.

I'm using info off of Mr. N's 44 page for the tear down.
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Mr.N44.htm#The Tear Down

I had to order from Napa # 278-2030 and will be here tomorrow

You can see the inner ball joint preload nut here

So far about 3 hours to get one side this far

Also, today I did a little horse trading. Traded my Lincoln 185 tig for a Thermal dynamics 180 Tig/Arc and a Hypertherm 30 Plasma cutter and bought a Lincoln 180 HD Mig. They will be coming next week. I should be set-up for the cutting and welding for the project pretty good now.
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #96
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Nice horse trading ! You'll be all set to fabrimicate some goods !

Nothing like working on 35yr old axles eh ???
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #97
1hand
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raider View Post
Nice horse trading ! You'll be all set to fabrimicate some goods !

Nothing like working on 35yr old axles eh ???
I know what you said about a 40amp plasma, but this deal came up quick. It will get me going now and I can upgrade later if I need to. Its 3 years old but never been arced. Same with the tig. I'm losing the AC for doing aluminium, but the trade off for getting a dual voltage welder and a new plasma was worth it to me. I only use the tig for welding my Stainless steel prosthetic wrenches. I am also getting another S sized tank with the deal so I can get one switched over to 75/25 for the new mig. These where holdovers that our route salesman had at his home. Cost me a $100 bucks to boot with my 10 year old Lincoln trade in.
Unread 03-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #98
1hand
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I won, I won!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lincoln-Weld...vip=true&rt=nc
Unread 03-21-2013, 12:19 AM   #99
1hand
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My little basement furnace-room machine shop has been a "catch all" this winter. So in the the morning I'm holding my breath and "going in" to clean it up. If I don't come out by nightfall, better send someone in after me.

Unread 03-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #100
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I am jealous of your work area!
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #101
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Shop envy! I admit it.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #102
1hand
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It was a long afternoon, but I was able to get both knuckles off. Of course I manage to bugger up some threads in one of the upper C's. Now I need to figure out what size threads are in there, and will have to get a tap! I'm sure that will be cheap..........looks like it's bigger than 1".

Unread 03-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #103
1hand
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I figured out the thread size of the upper C's, its 1 1/8-12. I might try slotting a bolt and thread it up from the bottom to try and clean up them top threads. If that doesn't work, I guess I will have to try and find a used tap on fleebay.

The first of the 3 new toys showed up today.

I got my old tig ready for the trade in tomorrow.

I'm keeping my old cart that was homemade. I'm going to convert it to hold 2 tanks, the new mig, and the new plasma and new tig thats coming tomorrow.

Unread 03-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #104
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Lookin good !
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #105
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just got mine about ten days ago. Exact same welder! Set it up on the cart and hopefully this weekend will melt some wire!
responder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.