88 YJ Total Rebuild - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 88 YJ Total Rebuild

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 03-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #61
1hand
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raider View Post
That's alot of suspension work for a dana 30....
Spouse I should just start building a 609 for the front?

Unread 03-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #62
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hand View Post
Spouse I should just start building a 609 for the front?
I'd keep YJ springs in the front, XJ springs out back with a little trimming and wheel the heck out of that on your 35" tires and Dana 30. Might even take some of the extra suspension $$$ and buy chromo's as you can resell those when you upgrade to bigger axles about 3 years from now. At that point...then you can build the suspension you dream of and do it only once. As mentioned by Arctic, you will want bigger tires on Dana 60's...which will require a suspension re-do then anyway. If you go this route, you can tear off the leaf springs and be none the less out of cash....
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #63
1hand
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'd keep YJ springs in the front, XJ springs out back with a little trimming and wheel the heck out of that on your 35" tires and Dana 30. Might even take some of the extra suspension $$$ and buy chromo's as you can resell those when you upgrade to bigger axles about 3 years from now. At that point...then you can build the suspension you dream of and do it only once. As mentioned by Arctic, you will want bigger tires on Dana 60's...which will require a suspension re-do then anyway. If you go this route, you can tear off the leaf springs and be none the less out of cash....
I see what your saying. I only want to do this all once. I have no problem changing out the Dana 30 now if need be. To build it decent now is 2k with the axles, gears, locker, and high steer. That could be 2k that I could put forwards something that going to be worth something in the end. I don't need to go and wheel this next weekend, so waiting to do it right is OK with me. I bought this as more of a project than a driver for the next few years.

Question is, what size tire a 8.8 handle? That to me is a cheap thing to build now, and replace with something better when it breaks. Still build the flex monster with a better front axle set up than the d30.
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #64
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I see what your saying. I only want to do this all once. I have no problem changing out the Dana 30 now if need be. To build it decent now is 2k with the axles, gears, locker, and high steer. That could be 2k that I could put forwards something that going to be worth something in the end. I don't need to go and wheel this next weekend, so waiting to do it right is OK with me. I bought this as more of a project than a driver for the next few years.

Question is, what size tire a 8.8 handle? That to me is a cheap thing to build now, and replace with something better when it breaks. Still build the flex monster with a better front axle set up than the d30.

The upside to the 8.8 is it's easily built and will handle 35's with no issues. The even better upside....there are 10 more of "you" in line that will buy a "ready to install" 8.8 the day you post it for sale when your ready to go bigger (assuming you keep it leaf sprung.) You can put minimal money in the 8.8 and it will hold up well. Unless your Joe Dillard who blows out seals on his (I say this...because I know he will be watching )

You say you only want to do this once....but if you even have a remote thought of "going bigger" down the road....you will have to change the suspension if you put in larger axles. If you put in larger axles....you'll want larger tires...if you want larger tires...you'll have to move the axles back/forward in most cases. If you do that....that high priced suspension you purchased will have to be hacked up to accomodate...which is my point to consider leaving it leaf sprung on the dana 30 and wheelin it until such time (axles) warrant it...

I realize it's a project....I also realize it's more fun to wheel than it is to wrench...even if you love wrenching. I'll bet your son would agree....I know my son and daughter did....
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #65
WesleySelman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm super impressed with your work.
I'm even more impressed with your patience, though!
WesleySelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #66
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

What he said ^^^

Also, there's no such thing as building it once

Leave the leafs, 8.8, 30, and run 35's

Then give yourself some time to really research designing a link suspension. You'll have a nicely restored jeep that you won't have to completely tear apart to build your suspension. You can take the time to build a set of Dana 60's yourself. Take the time to learn about the different methods of supporting your chasis, whether it's coil springs, coilovers, or air shocks.

Having some time to wheel a stock wheelbase jeep on some 35's will give you the best research as to how you should attack a proper stretched and linked rig.

I'm definitely not trying to discourage you from getting wild with your build, just suggesting that you'll be a whole lot richer in the knowledge department and you'll really appreciate it when you finish.

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #67
1hand
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well this is all very new to me and I did come here to learn, so if that is the pill I should swallow I will. That was basically my first plan as you could see at the start of the thread in my to do list.

What happen was I started watching all the back episodes of Extreme 4x4 to learn terminology and how to go about things, and came across their little buggy builds and so my obsession with a linked suspension started. I wanted to incorporate that into the YJ, but probably thats probably the long way around to get what I really want there. The thing I should do is build and restore this YJ nice with a little flare to it and build a bone azz bad little buggy/ crawler that would fit nicely on a little trailer behind the YJ if so the desire is still there after the YJ is done. Which I can't hardly imagine that's going to go away!
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #68
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Well this is all very new to me and I did come here to learn, so if that is the pill I should swallow I will. That was basically my first plan as you could see at the start of the thread in my to do list.

What happen was I started watching all the back episodes of Extreme 4x4 to learn terminology and how to go about things, and came across their little buggy builds and so my obsession with a linked suspension started. I wanted to incorporate that into the YJ, but probably thats probably the long way around to get what I really want there. The thing I should do is build and restore this YJ nice with a little flare to it and build a bone azz bad little buggy/ crawler that would fit nicely on a little trailer behind the YJ if so the desire is still there after the YJ is done. Which I can't hardly imagine that's going to go away!

We just don't like good people wasting good money

it's a progression...from a personal, mechanical and good ole fashion common sense stand point. And the best way to live love and learn your rig...is to get that thing out on the trails !

One day you will look back on this thread and see what we saw looking back...

Point "A" to point "B" and the fun you had wheelin

Unread 03-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #69
1hand
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ya I could see myself getting into more than I could chew right now. I will always have the option to go that way after the "need to" stuff gets done, to get us out, getn dirty.

So on to plan L or M I can't remember which one I'm on anymore.

Plan is to set up for 35's

Got the 8.8..... Gears ? 4.56?
I know I got to weld the tubes but should I truss it also? Even if it was a DIY truss I don't think it would hurt.
Think the c clip eliminator and axle upgrade would be smart.
Locker?

Got the D30
Truss?
30 spline superior axle upgrade?
Locker?

Lift
OME I hear is really good?
2.5" spring lift?
1" Daystar body lift

I wanted to make my own tube fenders, so I should gain some clearance there.

I still like the idea of outboard shocks. What's your thoughts on that?

SYE ? I don't know if I would need that?

That would get us back out on the road, then it would be building the add on stuff as we go.
Unread 03-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #70
WesleySelman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ya I could see myself getting into more than I could chew right now. I will always have the option to go that way after the "need to" stuff gets done, to get us out, getn dirty.

So on to plan L or M I can't remember which one I'm on anymore.

Plan is to set up for 35's

Got the 8.8..... Gears ? 4.56?
I know I got to weld the tubes but should I truss it also? Even if it was a DIY truss I don't think it would hurt.
Think the c clip eliminator and axle upgrade would be smart.
Locker?

Got the D30
Truss?
30 spline superior axle upgrade?
Locker?

Lift
OME I hear is really good?
2.5" spring lift?
1" Daystar body lift

I wanted to make my own tube fenders, so I should gain some clearance there.

I still like the idea of outboard shocks. What's your thoughts on that?

SYE ? I don't know if I would need that?

That would get us back out on the road, then it would be building the add on stuff as we go.
I hear a lot of good things about a PROPERLY done SOA lift. And, I don't know if you took this into consideration but the rear drive shaft is so short on the yjs, you're probably going to need to go longer. Tom woods apparently does great cv shafts, which take a lot of stress out of lifting a vehicle since they transfer the torque through a second joint as well to keep the stress on the drive shaft and not on your transfer case. You can pick one up for your soa and it'll come with a sye kit, that cost about 600 though. But this is also about a 5" to 6" lift. It would be good for your 35's though!
Unread 03-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #71
1hand
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleySelman View Post
I hear a lot of good things about a PROPERLY done SOA lift. And, I don't know if you took this into consideration but the rear drive shaft is so short on the yjs, you're probably going to need to go longer. Tom woods apparently does great cv shafts, which take a lot of stress out of lifting a vehicle since they transfer the torque through a second joint as well to keep the stress on the drive shaft and not on your transfer case. You can pick one up for your soa and it'll come with a sye kit, that cost about 600 though. But this is also about a 5" to 6" lift. It would be good for your 35's though!
trying to weed through SOA info now. I had planned on a SYE and CV driveshaft.

Looks like most use stock springs in a SOA lift?

Now that my rear is going to be a 8.8 and has larger tubes does that present any issues going with a SOA versus using a stock D35?
Unread 03-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #72
1hand
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
We just don't like good people wasting good money

it's a progression...from a personal, mechanical and good ole fashion common sense stand point. And the best way to live love and learn your rig...is to get that thing out on the trails !

One day you will look back on this thread and see what we saw looking back...

Point "A" to point "B" and the fun you had wheelin

I just went through your "reloaded" yj thread! I like it!
Unread 03-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #73
WesleySelman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

trying to weed through SOA info now. I had planned on a SYE and CV driveshaft.

Looks like most use stock springs in a SOA lift?

Now that my rear is going to be a 8.8 and has larger tubes does that present any issues going with a SOA versus using a stock D35?
Yeah, well I think some run stock springs. With all you're doing its probably not the best idea! Haha. I don't think you would run into any issues other than having to make your own brackets? But I am not going to pretend like I know what I'm talking about. You could check the forums. Most guys do run 8.8 with an soa it seems though.(at least one I just looked at did) I can give you a link if you would like?
Unread 03-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #74
1hand
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well my stock springs are shot, so what ever I do, I will have to get new.

I'm cruising through Tomb Raider's threads to see how he did his YJ SOA.

The more info the better.

Thanks
Matt
Unread 03-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #75
WesleySelman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well my stock springs are shot, so what ever I do, I will have to get new.

I'm cruising through Tomb Raider's threads to see how he did his YJ SOA.

The more info the better.

Thanks
Matt
A guy posted this on my thread. I've been considering SOA so they were all helping me out. I found this super helpful.
Also running 8.8 axle.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...-guide-471769/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.