88 YJ Total Rebuild - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 88 YJ Total Rebuild

Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #16
1hand
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
you lucky dog I am totally jealous of the amount of space you have in your work area...I am doing basically the same project in a one car garage with very low ceilings and it's a PITA

this is pretty much all the indoor space I have to work in....as you can see I can't have my rollbars installed or windshield frame up while it's inside
What's the height on your garage door? I have 8 1/2' ceilings but the doors are 7' may be in the same predicament when its jacked up. BTW, I love that color!! You paint it your self?

1hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #17
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hand View Post
What's the height on your garage door? I have 8 1/2' ceilings but the doors are 7' may be in the same predicament when its jacked up. BTW, I love that color!! You paint it your self?
when I push the door all the way up the tracks I only get a little over 6 1/2' of clearance...when it is down like in the pic I just about brush my head on it and I'm 5' 11"

thanks, that's a safety orange rustoleum paint job that I rolled on in the driveway last summer. I think it turned out pretty good for just being built as a low budget trail truck
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #18
1hand
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
thanks, that's a safety orange rustoleum paint job that I rolled on in the driveway last summer. I think it turned out pretty good for just being built as a low budget trail truck
Do you have a build thread? I would like to see how you got to this point. I looked for one on your profile but couldn't find one.

Matt
1hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #19
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Do you have a build thread? I would like to see how you got to this point. I looked for one on your profile but couldn't find one.

Matt
no build thread...sorry, but the sporadic way I work on it would make for a boring thread with infrequent updates. I let the thing sit for months without touching it then will do a flurry of work on it for a few weeks

but I started out with two cheap wrecks, one with a rotted frame the other with a tweaked and twisted tub, and ended up with what you see in the pics
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 02-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #20
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

looks like a good start for the refinishing of the frame..I used POR15 for mine too, but I topcoated over it with a spray on bedliner...figured it would be easier to touch up later using something that comes out of a spray can
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 02-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #21
Joe100
1989 YJ Wrangler 

$$$$

That looks somthing that I'm lookin at to buy how much did you pay for it / hope you don't mind me asking jst trying to get an Idea of what I should pay for the one I'm looking at. Thanks Joe100
Joe100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #22
1hand
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
that looks somthing that i'm lookin at to buy how much did you pay for it / hope you don't mind me asking jst trying to get an idea of what i should pay for the one i'm looking at. Thanks joe100
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #23
1hand
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Started working on the Bugout frame today.

First on the passengers side rear, I cut off the rusted out stock shock mount to get ready for the M.O.R.E extra travel rear mounts. Under the old mount was a chassis frame rail inspection hole.......

Cleaned it up to see how bad it was. Sounded thin about 2/3's the way down on the inside as I tapped on it. Also notice I removed the upper track bar mount.

I found a piece of 13ga and bent up the new replacement section.

I don't have a Mig, but do have a 185amp Tig/Arc welder. Just takes a bit longer thats all. That is my helper today Chloe Jo "CJ" setting the amps for me.

Notched out the frame for the replacement, and removed last years stash of acorns!!!

Ta Da!

Moving rearward, the gas tank cross member has holes rusted through.

Notched out the bad, and took some measurements.

I picked up this 12" hand shear a couple years ago figuring I would have a use for it someday. Well..............

Mark out some lines on a piece of 16 GA.

The El'ceapo brake

Fits pretty good for the first go at it.

Weld, ground down and relocated and drill holes.

That is it for today. Tomorrow will be a carbon copy of today, just over on the driverside I guess.

Matt
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #24
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Clean metal work, keep it up!
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #25
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

you probably already know this, but those MORE rear shock relocaters bolt to the factory shock mount that you cut off

here's a pic of one installed on the drivers side
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 02-28-2013, 05:52 AM   #26
1hand
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
you probably already know this, but those MORE rear shock relocaters bolt to the factory shock mount that you cut off

here's a pic of one installed on the drivers side
No I didn't know that, I thought it bolted to the frame. Well.......there really isn't too much to them any way. I think maybe I can just fab my own mounts. Go with the extra travel like the MORE, but gusset them in like the stock mounts?
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #27
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

No I didn't know that, I thought it bolted to the frame. Well.......there really isn't too much to them any way. I think maybe I can just fab my own mounts. Go with the extra travel like the MORE, but gusset them in like the stock mounts?
Or make your own. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...sions-1345960/
Unread 02-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #28
1hand
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Gotcha! Nice job!

I am going to make my own, maybe a cross bar which you can move the mount in or out to adjust for different shock lengths.

I was going through my list of bolt on stuff, which is mostly tube style things. Makes me think of investing in a nice JD bender and notcher to fab everything myself.
Unread 02-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #29
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Gotcha! Nice job!

I am going to make my own, maybe a cross bar which you can move the mount in or out to adjust for different shock lengths.

I was going through my list of bolt on stuff, which is mostly tube style things. Makes me think of investing in a nice JD bender and notcher to fab everything myself.
here's a crossbar from Tereflex, that you may be able to mod...normally it also bolts to the stock mount but you should be able to rig something up with it pretty easily

http://www.teraflex.biz/yj-wrangler-...shock-bar.html
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 02-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #30
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Cool stuff! I like where this is going. I'm in the midst of a one ton swap, stretch, and comp cut on my JK and it's looking like I'm going to exceed my finish date of May 1st so I've been shopping YJ's for a bit and found this guy:

'88 4.2/BA-10 with 98k on the clock, looks very good in the rust department. I'm going to do a spring lift and revolver shackle upgrade and throw some 33's on it so I can wheel until the JK is done. Once the big fella is finished I'll be going similar to the route you're going, T18/D300, build a set of 44's, and do a full body off resto....of course painting it stone white to match the JK I'd like to do EFI but it's a pretty expensive upgrade! I'll be watching your thread, keep up the good work!

If you're interested you can check out my JK build here.

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.