88 yj steering adjustment - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old Today, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
jxgrab
1988 YJ Wrangler 

88 yj steering adjustment

Hi,

I have been researching this issue without finding a good answer. My 88 YJ has a 3-4" shackle lift with 31"x10.50 and it has the extended pitman arm. My question is should I leave any play in the steering? Most lifted vehicles I have driven have some play and I adjusted my YJ so there is about 1/4" of play in the wheel when driving but I don't feel any at below 10mph. Should I give the adjustment screw another nudge or am I already good at where I have just a little play at driving speed?

Last edited by jxgrab; Today at 04:50 AM. Reason: omitted tire size
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Today, 08:50 AM
Jeepsr4me

You should not mess with that adjustment.. Those boxes RARELY need any adjustments. If they are worn to point you think it needs adjusting then it needs replaced.
Also Not sure why you have drop pit and 4" shackle lift... Just a disaster waiting to happen.
Unless this is just a hunting rig or mud truck then I would save up and get a real lift even if its just a cheap RC lift and throw those lifted shackles in garbage.
Also you need to download the FSM and any adjustment of that box is in there. Check any joints on the steering rod and all steering linkages. Any worn parts replace.
Also Take the trac bar off and make a tent stake out of it,.
Post pics of the front of your jeep.

post #3 of 13 Old Today, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
jxgrab
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I attached some pictures.

Everything seemed really tight in the front end, the Jeep came with 33" MT and I just put new 31" AT on it and did an alignment last week.

I haven't had a Jeep before and I am use to driving performance cars with speed sensitive steering so the sterring might be in spec for the setup, the Jeep is only for snow days it is a 3rd vehicle, but I would like it tuned as well as it can be without throwing thousands of $ at it

I am not sure if I used the term shackle lift correctly but it looks like the front shackles and rear shackles are extended.

Any advice for a better setup is appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
20171020_120344.jpg   20171020_120325.jpg  
Attached Images

post #4 of 13 Old Today, 10:28 AM
Randonexplosion
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sloppy steering can be a result of lifting a vehicle on the cheap. Using lift shackles rotates your axle and takes away the caster angle that is necessary for good alignment/steering. My Jeep steers better than it did when it was almost stock, but my steerng is ar from stock as well.

Short answer, no, don't "build in" any slop/slack into your steering.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old Today, 11:43 AM
puppybreath
1989 YJ Wrangler 

they look like stock length shackles to me. If you can adjust to a 1/4 inch of play, then I'd say the front end is good, there should always be a small amount of play in the wheel, 1/4 inch at the steering wheel rim is normally good. If you're used to rack and pinion, they're always tighter than recirculating ball type.
If it feels mushy, check elsewhere, sit in front and have someone rock the wheel, look for play anywhere. Loose bushings in the rear end can also produce play in the steering
post #6 of 13 Old Today, 11:59 AM
Jeepsr4me

That is a suspension lift with GOOD replacement shackles NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT AT ALL..

Your track bar is still there and if not required by the inspection nazis take it off.. It will improve the ride by a lot. As is right now that track bar is fighting the springs in the up and down movement.
Huge thread on removing.. Heck even if you have inspections, take off and keep till needed.. I painted your pic to show the bar..
Attached Images

post #7 of 13 Old Today, 12:02 PM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Those shackles aren't OEM, but they don't look like much of a lift if any. My "lift" shackles are 5 1/4" from the center of the top bolt to the center of the bottom bolt. And they're only 5/8" lift. You do probably have a 2-3" lift kit on there. So the dropped pitman arm looks right for it. If you already did an adjustment on the gearbox, I wouldn't do it again. Try removing your track bar and see if that helps. If you live in a state that requires a track bar, you may have to put it back on for inspections. Then double check your alignment.

Love that "beaver teeth" pic.

Edit: I guess Jeepsr4me and I were posting at the same time.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #8 of 13 Old Today, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
jxgrab
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the tips fellas and looking over my suspension and letting me know what I have.

...and I will look up the track bar delete thread and maybe do it this weekend. Then report back
post #9 of 13 Old Today, 02:57 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Removing the trac-bar will not improve steering.

"Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built."
Henry Ford
post #10 of 13 Old Today, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
jxgrab
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hi,

I got home from work and removed the track bar. Amazingly, the little bit of play I was feeling driving at normal speed is gone now and driving under 10 miles an hour the steering is so much lighter now. The trackbar looks like it has a extension bracket for the lift kit, which the bracket is loose and moves but the bolt is tight holding the bracket on, it is circled in the picture. I couldn't get this piece off because my 19" deep socket has a split and I wasn't strong enough to brake it loose with a wrench where it is at. I will get a new socket tomorrow and get it off. However, I think this loose bracket might have been binding and been the real issue I had driving at normal speed but the steering feels overall better without the trackbar too.

Thank you all so much, very easy fix
Attached Images

post #11 of 13 Old Today, 03:57 PM
Jeepsr4me

Good deal.. When some one takes the advice is great. Cause I have butted my head against wall with some folks. I tell they exactly whats wrong and they keep chasing their tails with other symptoms.
That bracket is ok to leave there as long as its not going to hit anything. If you go offroading. Remove your sway bar links and tie up the bar. The jeep will be like a mountain goat in comparison to with the bar hooked up
post #12 of 13 Old Today, 04:02 PM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Removing the trac-bar will not improve steering.

Ha!

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #13 of 13 Old Today, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
jxgrab
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you again.

It is my first Jeep and it is just as fun as working on it as my motorcycles. I never thought I would feel that way about a four-wheel vehicle.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.