Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

'88 YJ purchase nightmare

2K views 45 replies 21 participants last post by  rexmelon 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a 1988 YJ with only 93K on it from a local dealer. I looked it over for rust, frame cracks, engine noises among other things. I test drove it 2 times and it seemed to run quite well. I did my research.... or so I thought!

8 days after purchasing the vehicle for $4300 and driving only 4 days and 250 miles, I'm driving down the flat highway doing 65 and quickly losing speed. I shift into 4th and try to pick up some speed only to find that 4th will not get me past 50 mph either! There is an odd sizzle type noise coming from under the jeep and a white-ish possibly blue tinted smoke pouring out of the tailpipe. All guages are normal at this point and she isn't overheated. I took the backroads home and had her towed the next morning after discussing with a few auto saavy people that it sounds like a head gasket problem (I had told them white smoke, didn't really see the blue tint to it).

My mechanic tells me its not the head gasket and that there is some blow-by as well. There is oil in cylinder #2 and the compression test showed that cylinder #2 "was not doing its job, at all" Those are his words. He then suggested I take it to an engine place and would probably need major engine work based on his inspection. At this point I don't know what it is, I only know its gonna be expensive for an 8 day old car!

The problem now is that the dealer is hassling me because I bought it as-is, no warranty...bad move. The dealer also tried to tell me today that he thought it was a carb problem and it was running great?!? He obviously hadn't taken it for more than 1/4 mile. It smokes after about 3 minutes of running, and sputters and again won't get past 50 mph.

He also was going to charge me to do another compression test etc. I insisted he call the other mechanic and get the results, as I'd already dropped $120 on it.
I am trying to be cordial to the dealership at this point knowing they don't have a legal obligation to assist me in any way with it, but c'mon now! 8 days!... Its been the worst customer service I've EVER experienced .

any words of wisdom on the engine problem or how to deal with the dealer?

See less See more
#2 ·
well, first, I'd say write a formal letter to the dealer, then contact the better buisiness buearo, i cant spell... then, if after you contact the dealer, they blow you off, send them another letter stating that you have reported them, and that the letters wont stop.

but man, I feel bad for you... I bought my jeep as a POS from a family friend, talk about no warranty.

if u love ur jeep, in its condition, I'd say work on it... if u dont, and none of the letters work, bite the bullet and sell it.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice. I am in the middle of it right with the dealer now and will be trying to get somewhere with them tomorrow morning.

Of course I love my Jeep! Its a Jeep! So whatever I gotta do...my kids don't need food anyway right? I'm not ready to sell it yet, it really is in great shape (besides the engine!) if the damage is bad enough I would hope for a refund and to walk away from it altogether since I bought it so recently. I would then track down a '91. I love the old style roll bar and would like the fuel injection of the 91. Best of both worlds!

#5 ·
Find out if your state has a lemon law. If so, contact your state attorney and they will have to do a return/refund. Or if you know they have a lemon law go to the dealer and explain that sooner or later after a protracted battle they are going to have to give you your money back. Ask them if instead they will refund the cost of having a rebuild motor installed.

#7 ·
*****, *****, *****, *****, *****, then *****, ***** some more and call the news station to see if they will help. They don't like bad press and hate to keep seeing someone *****. Don't let them do anything because it could be a lemon that you bought.

I had the engine on mine blow two weeks after buying it but I did buy the warranty but it still took over a month to get it done.

#8 · (Edited)
I have had so many conversations with the dealer, I don't know which way is up anymore. The last one occurred today with the service manager, who of course didn't have all of the info he needed to even start looking at the Jeep! I ran through the story with him, and he tells me he's going to start from scratch on it but it doesn't sound like an easy fix (no kidding). Everyone keeps telling me they have to talk to the president to get this or that approved, yet I cannot get a hold of the president myself?! I'm not sure he really exists at this point.

Bottom line now is that it supposedly will be looked at Monday and we'll go from there...No one knows exactly what is wrong with it yet, so I can't even begin to negotiate with them on who pays what....I'm shooting for either a full fix paid by them or they're gonna buy it back. Either way, it won't be pretty. I cannot believe the treatment I'm getting. I've been professional and calm with them throughout, at the same time, letting them know I am highly unhappy with the service. They are not your typical roadside mom and pop used car dealer, they are a larger chrysler dealer in town. Contacting the news and paper has definitely crossed my mind, but until I know what I'm up against engine-wise, I'm kind of stuck.

#9 ·
you should not have to pay one red cent! this is CRAP. i feel bad for you man, as stated above.. check to see if your state has a lemon law. for crying out loud! you paid a premium for that thing froma dealership, and it should get you 30 day minimum.
fight em hard!

#10 · (Edited)
Unfortunately the Lemon Law here does not apply to used cars. Its down to an issue of customer service...the worst customer service known to man. I tried getting a hold of the "president" again, was on hold for 5 min and then told he wasn't there. I'm now convinced he doesn't exist. I'm sure they all know me by name there now!

#11 ·
I had multiple problems with a vehicle I purchased new. I called the corporate headquarters. By the time I got back to the dealer that afternoon they were giving me anything I wanted.
I know a new vehicle presents a different situation from a used one. But worth a try. They never want to PO the central office who supplies their new cars.

#12 ·
here's what you should do.. especially if you hve free time on your hands.. on the weekends.. or maybe during the day.. make up a huge sandwich board thing (you know.. the 4x3 sheets of foam core board that people wear as walking advertisements)

and put on it:

"ASK ME HOW SO_ANDSO DEALER SCREWED ME!"

after a few days of that.. the dealer will likely cave.. heck.. if you're lucky.. you might even get on the news.

#14 ·
I feel so sorry for you, all this sounds like hell. This is how I see it, you bought the jeep for a reasonable sum for a used working vehicle, you were sold it under the impression that it was in good order and that it had a reasonable amount of life left in it. He sells used working cars that is his description, were I live you would go to your local Trading Standards Department they would impound the vehicle and inspect it, the dealer would then be made to refund your money or face court action. But assuming you don't have this I would say you must return the jeep and go for a refund, dont get them to fix it and dont fix it yourself I would get legal advice get the jeep back to them and then they owe you the purchase price plus legal costs, because at the end of the day they (the dealer) have broken trades discriptions laws. I hope you come out of this ok, but I really would get the jeep back to them because you dont want it like it is, and when they accept the car (which they will have to) this will mean that they owe you money. Good luck my friend!!

#16 ·
Just to play devils advocate here, you bought a 15 year old vehicle that you admitted wasn't making any engine noises and you had test driven twice without noticing any problems. You didn't feel that it was necessary to take it to a independant mechanic to have it checked out. What makes you think the dealer should have known that there was a problem with it?
If you had sold a 15 year old vehicle to somebody and they brought it back to you a week later with a blown engine would you give them thier money back? I feel bad for you but honestly I don't see that the dealer owes you anything. If he is willing to help you out with some of the repairs or refund part of the purchase price then I would say good for him and that is as much as you could hope for.
Judging from the other posts, my opinions are obviously not the ones that most people have. Anyway, good luck and hope that things work out for you.

#17 ·
SamFromCO
that is some funny stuff there...
he didnt buy the jeep from a person on the street. he bought it from a dealership. and yes, the dealership should have known there was a problem with the jeep, or be prepared to buy it back or fix the damage. that is why when we buy a vehicle from the dealership we pay so much more for it than if we were to do a private party transaction.
i know for sure... if this happened to me, i'd be one tough customer to deal with. the dealer would be begging to end the deal by reibursing me :)
go get your money back, man!

#18 ·
NAILER341 said:
....that is some funny stuff there...
I wasn't trying to be funny. I guess funny part is that people like you think that because they spend more money at a dealership that they somehow are protected from being ripped off or that they have some special right. Just because you think that you have some sort of right to not be ripped doesn't make it a law. He bought the Jeep "as is". What does that mean to you? If there was no warrantee are you saying that he should have assumed that there was one? What kind of warrantee should he have assumed that there was?
...i know for sure... if this happened to me, i'd be one tough customer to deal with. the dealer would be begging to end the deal by reibursing me...
Really?:eek: What would you do? It sounds like rexmelon is trying to work with the dealership and hopefully the dealership will try to work with him. That sounds to me like he's doing all that he can.

#19 ·
That does kinda suck,But I do agree with SamFromCO ,He did buy the jeep as is,with no warranty,and knew it before he got it.I don't see where the dealer owes anything.As is means "AS IS" If something happens ,you eat it
:confused:

#20 ·
SamFromCO said:

I wasn't trying to be funny. I guess funny part is that people like you think that because they spend more money at a dealership that they somehow are protected from being ripped off or that they have some special right. Just because you think that you have some sort of right to not be ripped doesn't make it a law. He bought the Jeep "as is". What does that mean to you? If there was no warrantee are you saying that he should have assumed that there was one? What kind of warrantee should he have assumed that there was?

Really?:eek: What would you do? It sounds like rexmelon is trying to work with the dealership and hopefully the dealership will try to work with him. That sounds to me like he's doing all that he can.
well, here in california.. there would be some recourse. he would have his money back already, or the jeep would be in the shop being repaired. and of course i think if you pay a premium to buy a vehicle from the dealership you get some "protection"... you think you are paying that much more for the vehicle just for them washing it?!
well, that is aoll i have to say about this with you..
rexmellon, i hope you get this taken care of in a suitable manner.
any reputable dealer would handle this for you in a way that you will be happy.
good luck, bro

#21 ·
Well, the situation has gotten ugly. The person in charge at the dealership will NOT return my calls, and hasn't been in the office EVER when I try to get a hold of him.

His final offer to me was to let me drive the smoking, oil leaking beast out the door with 100$!!! a slap in my face....OR I could have them replace the engine at their rate, which was outrageous (3500 +) and they will pay 25% of the cost, that would end up costing me over half the price of the jeep OR about the same as if i take it to someone else...and I've quoted a few places. I decline both offers, (insults)

Anyway, I'm taking it to another mechanic today and they are going to put in a reman 258 for me, and before they do, they will inspect the engine thouroughly and make sure it really needs a totally new engine. I suspect highly that it does, but with the bad luck i've had lately, it has to turn around sometime! :p

Of course, my attorney has been contacted and I've started planning my public service campaign about this dealer.

All things considered, when i was driving her home last night, smoke pouring out of the exhaust and all, I had a little smile on my face because I was driving my Jeep. This thing is an addiction...

#22 ·
i'm telling ya.. sit across the street from the dealership with a big sign that says "ask me about my experience with this dealer" i'd do it if they were advertising a huge sale on a weekend. They will eventually cave. They cant do anything about it because everything you will say about them is based in fact, and they'd much rather eat the cost of fixing your jeep or refunding the money on it than lose customers that would likely buy a more expensive vehicle. I'm telling ya.. will work great. bud of mine had a lemon used cadillac that he did this with. He's retired.. so he just setup a lawn chair and a huge sign with balloons and junk. the dealer caved. The home office got so peeved they gave him a new caddy just to get him to stop. not sure how long he had to sit out there though.

#23 ·
Yes, that sounds like it could be rather effective! I am weighing all of my options. It'll get resolved one way or another.

BTW, this same thing happened to another fellow last year and he did pickett the place among other things. Ended up having to go through the courts etc. before he got anything from the dealer.

its crazy!

#24 ·
my .02

OK rexmelon let me get this straight. A guy took it onto himself to campaign against the stealership last year and when you bought the Jeep you took it for 2 drives and it seemed OK

First question.
Did you at any time ask if the motor had been checked? Or if there had been a compression test, or if they had checked out the vehicle prior to putting it on the lot.

If the answer to any of the above is no, go to the stupid consumer aisle and get yourself a can of ' you deserve what you got'

Next question.
Why after you knew that they were not up on their customer care policies (as witnessed by the guy last year) did you still decide to do business with them.

Just asking........I would think that as an educated consumer you should realize that all dealerships are in the business of making money, not freinds. When they sell you something as is...that usually means 'as is'. Not as you wish it was!

#25 ·
Sidewalkman,
I did ask if the vehicle was checked out, and in fact was doing quite the haggling with the dealer because they claimed it was in such good shape and was worth more than what they were asking....the usual crap from a dealer. So yes, they claimed it was checked out, not to mention the inspection sticker in the window. Did I ask about a compression test? No I didn't ask that question. Had I asked, we wouldn't be in this situation. I've bought used cars in the past, in fact used jeeps but never have asked that question, didn't even know what a compression test was until this happened! and only once have had any issues with my vehicles, which were resolved by the dealer without hassle and in quick time, without warranty, you know, customer service! Did I check for blowby, no...did I take it for a full day and have my own mechanic look at it?, no. I test drove it, I thought it ran good for the short time I drove it other than some sluggishness in 4th and 5th gear which I was told by them was a result of it being a carbeurated engine....ok, sure.....and it was represented as a decent vehicle. I looked over the engine for any obvious signs...my knowledge of obvious signs anyway, I'm not a mechanic or an automotive guru.

I did not ask specifically if the motor was checked because the inspection sheet says it was and that there were no problems across the board and again it was sold to me with the impression that this was a gem, only 93k, no rust blah blah blah. Its not like this is some roadside used car dealer, its a mid size chrysler dealership thats been in business quite a while. I'm not a complete consumer idiot.

The point is that I purchased a vehicle with the impression that it would run for more than 8 days. Any dealership worth anything would at least treat me as an adult versus some kind of punk. How about a return phone call from someone in charge? How about if i take a personal trip out to the dealer to talk to the person in charge that they once would actually be in the office available to see me? and if they're not there, they call me when they come back in order to resolve any concerns a customer who just spent a large sum of money on their vehicle might have?c'mon! No one deserves that treatment.

As far as my knowledge of them being sued last year, I wasn't aware of that until after I was in this horrible situation, so I didn't go in knowing that they don't take care of their customers. Now I know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.