88 YJ with injected 4L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 88 YJ with injected 4L

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 04-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
navinke

88 YJ with injected 4L

Hello ALL,

I recently purched a 88 YJ with a 95 injected 4.0L in it
It is hard to start, but once it fires it runs great
It does have a new in-line fuel pump
My question is
(Not knowing what the previos owned did)
I understand the fuel pressure regulator in a stock 88 is in the top of the tank
Should the diaphram be removed or a hole punched in it?
The fuel pump is lould and I am wondering if it is having trouble pulling fuel through the original regulator

Thanks

navinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It has an inline fuel pump? Does it have a return line for the fuel system? Usually the fuel pump primes the system before starting. I am not sure with an inline that you can do it. Go to your local parts store and get a fuel pressure guage from their tool loan program. Measure the fuel pressure: 31 psi running, 39psi when you disconnect the vacum line on the pressure regulator on the fuel rail, and then turn it off and see if the pressure stays above 20 psi after waiting 20 minutes.

I think your best bet is finish the upgrade where he stopped. Get a plastic tank setup out of a 91-95. If you are interested I can point you in the right direction and I think you would be looking at $100-200 american for the entire setup from the guy here in Michigan who parts them out.

http://www.cfoffroad.com/
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
navinke

Thanks for the reply
Yes aftermarket in line fuel pump with return line and it does have a plastic tank in it now
I will start by checking fuel pressure
navinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The fuel pump needs to hold the prime pressure for start. It sounds like you might need to add a check valve of some sort in front of the pump if it doesn't hold back pressure like the stock system does.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.