88 YJ IDLE PROBLEM - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 88 YJ IDLE PROBLEM

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 04-24-2002, 08:42 AM   #1
keybo

88 YJ IDLE PROBLEM

I HAVE AN 88 YJ 6 CYC THAT HAS A IDLE PROBLEM. IT IDLES UP TO 1500 RPMS AND STAYS THERE LIKE THE CHOCK IS STUCK OPEN BUT I HAVE HAD A MECHANIC LOOK AT IT AND HE CAN'T FIGURE OUT. ANY IDEAS ???

keybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2002, 11:34 AM   #2
89JEEPNYC

How long does it idle high for? Because normally it idle's high till the engine is warm then kicks down the idle.
89JEEPNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2002, 01:21 PM   #3
Zeke

Hey,

What this sounds like is the Idle Speed Soleniod - or the Sol-Vac soleniod. This is a soleniod that makes it idle at 1100 RPMs for about 15 seconds after you start the car. It is located near the throttle linkage, it just pushes out a cylinder so that the idle screw rests on it. The car will run fine without it, so just disconnect it and push the cylinder in. It might not stay in, so you may have to tape it. See if that fixes your problem.

If you're having trouble finding it, check out this page:

<a href="http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/solvac.htm" target="_blank">http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/solvac.htm</a>

I've got other ideas, so drop me a line if that doesn't work.

Zeke
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2002, 03:57 PM   #4
johny1i

Zeke's right about the Sol-vac, eliminate it. Its primary function is to speed up the engine to compensate for the added load when your air conditioning compressor or rear window defroster is turned on, but what can happen (and what happened on mine exactly) is that it stops retracting the arm when the vehicle is warmed up or the AC is switched off, thus leaving your jeep idling at--like you said--about 1100-1500 rpm. Zeke mentioned taping it off, but I removed it completely, including its mounting bracket, and plugged the vacuum line that used to lead to it at its source. I still run my AC, but the drop in RPMs is about 100-200, hardly enough to worry about. Beyond this, make sure that the fast idle cam (the yellow plastic thing with four "steps" on it) has "dropped" out of the way when the engine is warm--it should be a little bit loose to the touch to make sure that your idle is being dictated by the primary idle speed screw, not the fast idle screw that rides on this fast idle cam. Try this stuff and let us know.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.