'88 YJ hazard lights won't turn off! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '88 YJ hazard lights won't turn off!

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
SamzJeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

'88 YJ hazard lights won't turn off!

Hey there....well, my son and I have been working on his '88 YJ. It's basically a project Jeep that we picked up from a friend. We got her running pretty good with a new MC 2100 carb...blah blah blah.... We then started on the light/s. I replaced his taillights because they were pretty much broken and didn't work. So, I replaced the lights with stock YJ taillights. All of the lights work (headlights, turn signals/front & rear, brake lights, reverse lights and hazards), all except the running lights/front and back. So, I checked to see if the hazard lights were still working and when I did that, the hazards turned on, but now they won't turn off! I think that maybe the switch inside the steering colum may be broken or something. Do I have to take the steering wheel/colum apart to check that out? The hazard light switch does feel "sloppy" now and I can't get the hazards to shut off unless I take out the hazard "flasher/fuse". But when I do that (take out the hazard flasher) then the turn signals don't work. What the heck? So...my question is; do I have to take the steering colum apart to check that switch? Can I get the turn signals to work without the hazard flasher in place? thanks...

Unread 10-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
cindfc
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've got the same problem in my 94 yj. The hazard flasher seems to be good. I've been driving with the hazard fuse out so its not 24/7 hazards, but that makes the blinkers not work so great and when I hit the brakes all the hazard lights go on. Im about to take apart the column bc I can't think of any other way.
cindfc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
DontaskYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have the same problem on my '91. The hazard switch was the first thing I broke after I first bought it. I've been running around without turn signals too, as I had to pull the flasher from the fuse console. Does anyone know where to get a replacement hazard switch?

I'm sure you have to tear into the column to fix it, and I found this how-to link:

http://www.epiccomputer.com/dale/jee...tilt/tilt.html

It looks like he's working on a CJ, but I'm guessing ours is similar.
DontaskYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Joe203

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't know I had hazard lights!!
Joe203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

On my '95, the Hazard is part of the turn signals. It is a 4 pole double throw switch (4P2T). It would be a major job to rewire it. I would suggest a salvage yard replacement. As the entire column is GM from some vintage that might be a viable alternative. Do a Jeep forum search for steering column, turn signal, etc and you will find some great info.

Regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would start by getting some contact cleaner and some wd 40 and spraying the switch down. Are you pulling it back out to release it?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
rvking88
1993 YJ Wrangler 

here one for you guys put new steering column in new harness now motor turn over if I turn on hazards have headlights turn signal incator lights no blinkers and no running lights
rvking88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Rvking post up to a new thread. You will get help.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.