88 YJ Electrical Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 88 YJ Electrical Issue

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
freddoswim
1988 YJ Wrangler 

88 YJ Electrical Issue

Recently completed some restorations and modifiactions,

Here is a list of events/summary of issues after completing some restoration (removed and reinstalled tub to fix rust issues, replaced rear axle, installed 1" body lift, installed 4" rough country suspension lift, replaced fuel tank):

1) Wouldn't start fuel pump not running, jumped fuel pump to verify it worked, but still wouldn't start
2) Checked ECU, 1st imprinted circuit from Pin3 to 1st Diode/resistor/?? fried
3) Installed Jumper #1 on circuit board by soldering a piece of phone wire
4) fuel pump runs when key is turned on, jeep runs
5) Drove about 5-10 minutes, jeep died, fuel pump not running when key is turned on
5) Checked ECU, jumper #1 is fried
6) Found insulation missing on injector connector wires, replaced injector connector
7) Installed jumper #2 to replace jumper #1
8) Fuel pump runs when key is turned on, jeeps runs, passed inspection
9) drove 2-3 hours total over 1-2 week period
10) jeep dies pulling out of drive way, fuel pump not running when key is turned on
11) checked ECU, jumper #2 is fried
12) Installed jumper #3 using CAT 5 wire to replace jumper #2
13) Drove a couple of hours over a 1 week period
14) After driving to a location and parking for about 1 hour, jeep will not start, fuel pump not running
15) checked ECU, jumper #3 looks good
16) checked for additional bad wires, found 4 wires that connect to side of transmission that appear to come into contact with exhaust and have insulation missing, taped wires to prevent short
17) fuel pump runs when key is turned on, jeep runs
18) After driving to a location and parking for about 7 hours, jeep will not start, fuel pump not running
19) After sitting for 2 days in garage, fuel pump runs when key is turned on, jeep runs
20) On Friday drove to store came home (2 times), went to go to a 3rd location, jeep will not start, fuel pump not running
21) checked ECU, jumper #3 looks good

I've looked for bad wires and loose grounds, but I'm not sure what else to do at this point. I'm not sure if the ECU needs to be repaired/replaced, but I don't want to do that if there is another issue that is causing the ECU to fail.

Any ideas?

freddoswim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
dbikers
1989 YJ Wrangler 

pls tell us some basic info about your jeep...what engine, trans, carb'd or injected?
just reading if your rig is standard your have the injected 4cyl?
so....when your fuel pump "won't run" have you checked to see if it's getting voltage? could be something as simple as a bad fuel pump.
a l'il info and you'll get some responses.

just my .02

edit: guess i was too lazy to check, but just checked your profile. you do have the 2.5L so i know it's injected. what trans ? is there a cps? if so, has it or its wiring been verified as good?
Unread 01-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When the fuel pump is not running you need to measure the voltage at the connector in the rear to see if you are getting voltage to the plug. The ground is bad so you need to measure the voltage 2 times, 1 with power refrenced to the connector ground the the other to the chasis. To do this you need to have someone to cycle the key while you do the measurement or jumper the fuel pump relay socket between pins 30 and 87 under the hood on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Do you have a manual and meter to work with? You will be needing both. There is a recent post to download the factory manual. You can find it easy if you search. I strongly recomment you download the fsm if you dont have it.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
freddoswim
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I found a bad fusible link attached to the starter relay, it is green, what gauge fusible link should this be replaced with?
Unread 01-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A Brown fusible link is used to protect an 18ga wire.

A Green fusible link is used to protect a 16ga wire.

A Red fusible link is used to protect a 14ga wire.

A Black fusible link is used to protect a 12ga wire.

Unread 01-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It goes by the guage of wire it protects. Just replace it with a green.
Unread 01-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
freddoswim
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What about the tan resistance wire on the alternator? Is there a resistor or diode built into this wire? If this needs to be replaced what do I replace it with. Thanks
Unread 01-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

(Brown) resistive wire. Is it bad?

Tags
ecu , electrical , fuel pump , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.