88 YJ Clutch problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 88 YJ Clutch problems

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 09-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
bbhuey2000
1988 YJ Wrangler 

88 YJ Clutch problems

I have a 88 yj. Just put a 75 4.2 258 motor in it and working on the clutch now. The clutch will shift fine for about a mile then it is next to impossible to put it in any gear. i turned the motor off and pumped the peddal and then it worked again for about a mile. I got it home and bled the clutch only for it to do the same thing again. I have replaced the master cylinder and the slave cylinder and put fresh dot3 fluid in it. same issue i cant get it to go into any gear. no leaks on the master or slave lines. I need any help i can get. im gonna try to get the tool to do a reverse bled in the next few days.

bbhuey2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
gotwood

They are a pita to bleed.
gotwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
Jimmy3841
1991 YJ Wrangler 

When I did mine, I had someone help me and push the pedal real slow while I had the screw open. I would close it of course when he was just about at the end of the stroke. When I was done I had to pump a bit if it sat over night but it worked itself out over a couple of days. Also I've heard of people using an old style oil can, the type with the thumb pump, and using that to push the oil up from the bottom. Just my experience.
Jimmy3841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

88 has an internal slave so you can really check it closely. The way it attaches is not the most reliable. If it is leaking you will see it on the what is an inspection plate or dust cover for that area of what is in the bellhousing. On the I6s you can't remove it so just look for leaks. If it is leaking time to pull it aapart. If not the slave look in the cab where the clutch pedal actuator pushes the master piston in it will leak down the firewall. Good luck.
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.