88 YJ Clutch Drag - No Hydraulics? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 88 YJ Clutch Drag - No Hydraulics?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFREE Shipping Sale!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-27-2015, 10:05 AM   #1
MattGinOK
1988 YJ Wrangler 

88 YJ Clutch Drag - No Hydraulics?

Hi, FNG here.

Just purchased '88 YJ. BA10-5, 4.2L, 4x4 (231-AMC). Had dragging clutch, really bad. Almost like no pedal assist at all. In looking at trans, going to replace w/AX15, found at least 1 thing. See picture of side transmission. Looks like something is terribly wrong, but this is my first shot at diagnosis. I think the clutch hyd. is not working at all.

What do I need to do to get it working again, parts wise? I found the write up on bleeding.

thanks
MattGinOK

p1070041.jpg   p1070062.jpg   p1070064.jpg  
MattGinOK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2015, 10:44 AM   #2
Beachcruiser
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You can try bleeding it from that bleed screw in you pics (the end sticking out), but chances are your slave and/or master cylinder are going out. Check clutch fluid level first, of course.

If that doesn't help...you might as well do the AX-15 swap. because you have to pull the trans for the slave cylinder anyway.
Unread 06-28-2015, 09:16 AM   #3
MattGinOK
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Figured as much.

got a line on a '02 wrangler NV3550 transmission w/Clutch, flywheel (ask $700). Need to see if bell housing comes with it. So, I guess it's go for AX15 or NV3550?
This should probably should be another thread.

thx
MattGinOK
Unread 07-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #4
MattGinOK
1988 YJ Wrangler 

maybe not need trans

the bleeder was so hard to break, I needed vise grips. That being said, I bled it some and lo and behold I've now got some clutch. Am going to bleed again and ALSO put a nut on the top of the torque arm. That nut BTW is 3/8-24.
thanks all.
Unread 07-02-2015, 10:36 AM   #5
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nothing wrong with driving it a bit to see how it does after you get it fully bled. But very good idea to replace your tranny with AX 15 or NV3550. The 3550 will definitely be external slave so that's a real bonus, or at least if you go AX15 make sure yours is 94 or newer and it will be external slave as well.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2015, 08:42 AM   #6
MattGinOK
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Opihi59

A little new info every day helps in the long run. If the BA10 works ok when I'm done, I'll still keep a lookout for an AX15 or NV3550, it just won't have the immediacy.

Thanks
Matt.

Tags
slave cylinder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.