88 YJ 6" Lift Questions?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 88 YJ 6" Lift Questions??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-01-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
sd92110
1988 YJ Wrangler 

88 YJ 6" Lift Questions??

Plan on performing a 6" leaf spring lift, just wanted to see if anyone had any known issues with going up to this size. Based on what i have read so far looks like I am going to need a SYE and a CV-driveshaft to compensate for the height plus longer brake lines drop pitman arm. The kit comes with the pitman arm.

Here is the proposed kit.
http://www.extremeterrain.com/rough-...-yj-622n2.html

Its has 2" on it now so actually going up 4".
Also is it a good idea to do a body lift first or suspension lift first?
Just wondered what the best order of operations jeep upgrades should go in?

Thanks for your time.

sd92110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
Steve707
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You'll need longer shocks and probably have steering issues too. If you do a 1" body lift you can do a motor mount lift and tuck the tranny skid up. Just things to think about. You might need longer vent lines to the differentials too.
Steve707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 06:47 PM   #3
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

That's a whole lot of lift for a short wheelbase.....

Do it...give us a good write up with pics.

That kit says all parts/bolt on...etc...but I am sure you will run into some hold ups (opportunities for improvising)
Unread 09-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #4
sd92110
1988 YJ Wrangler 

wheel base

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmud4x4 View Post
That's a whole lot of lift for a short wheelbase.....

Do it...give us a good write up with pics.

That kit says all parts/bolt on...etc...but I am sure you will run into some hold ups (opportunities for improvising)
I have 1.25" spacers and 31x11.5" super swampers on to give me more stability.
Its only four inch's higher? Kit comes with shocks. The breather tube is minimal work. I'm not sure I want to go through the bother of a body lift has 1" on it now. Thought about 3" but that could look and handle poorly.

I just installed some seats that I should have done a write-up on. Sounds simple but they weren't a original equipment replacement had to re-use the original seat hardware and use an aluminum plate. Loots of measuring and cutting took my time but it went right on the first time, I was shocked!!

Thanks for your advice. Been jeeping for two years and want to get deeper into my ride.

Got all kinds of ideas. Fuel injection , propane fuel conversion ext. Gas is expensive damn.
sd92110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #5
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'd avoid a 6" if I was you. Spacers are not exactly the safest things out there
Unread 09-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
Steve707
1993 YJ Wrangler 

6 inches is a lot of lift for 31s. Are you planning on going bigger later on?
Steve707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have the spring over axle conversion yet? that gives you a bunch of lift for almost nothing!

Although, I don't want to try to talk you out of doing something you want to do. Jeeps are about customization!
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #8
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134
Do you have the spring over axle conversion yet? that gives you a bunch of lift for almost nothing! Although, I don't want to try to talk you out of doing something you want to do. Jeeps are about customization!
A proper spring over cost more then almost nothing shocks, shock hoops , anti wrap bar, high steer , brake lines , shocks , u bolts , spring perches , shock mounts to relocate .........
Unread 09-01-2014, 09:53 PM   #9
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
A proper spring over cost more then almost nothing shocks, shock hoops , anti wrap bar, high steer , brake lines , shocks , u bolts , spring perches , shock mounts to relocate .........
And no offense to the OP, but he's not ready for a spring over if he's considering a 3" body lift at all. 6" is a lot. Rough country sucks because iirc their 6" kit is actually 4" springs and 2" shackles which are no bueno amigo. You don't need a ton of lift to run bigger tires. Just get more creative with the sawzall or die grinder.

Wheel base isn't measured from side to side. It's measured from front to back more often than not.

Order up some BDS 3 or 4" springs and some half inch boom shackles and trim what you need to make your tires fit.
Unread 09-01-2014, 10:10 PM   #10
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr
And no offense to the OP, but he's not ready for a spring over if he's considering a 3" body lift at all. 6" is a lot. Rough country sucks because iirc their 6" kit is actually 4" springs and 2" shackles which are no bueno amigo. You don't need a ton of lift to run bigger tires. Just get more creative with the sawzall or die grinder. Wheel base isn't measured from side to side. It's measured from front to back more often than not. Order up some BDS 3 or 4" springs and some half inch boom shackles and trim what you need to make your tires fit.
My 4.5" RC (x series ) it's pretty damn nice. Rides and flexes just as good as the 4.5" RE I had on my last YJ. It uses a 1" lift shackle and 3.5" military wrap springs that ride nice and smooth. It's ashame I trashed my front axle last trip out so I can't wheel it until I regear and do a 1 piece axle on the passenger side
Unread 09-01-2014, 11:18 PM   #11
Dake
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
And no offense to the OP, but he's not ready for a spring over if he's considering a 3" body lift at all. 6" is a lot. Rough country sucks because iirc their 6" kit is actually 4" springs and 2" shackles which are no bueno amigo. You don't need a ton of lift to run bigger tires. Just get more creative with the sawzall or die grinder.

Wheel base isn't measured from side to side. It's measured from front to back more often than not.

Order up some BDS 3 or 4" springs and some half inch boom shackles and trim what you need to make your tires fit.
My RC 6" said to use stock shackles. I did get over 7 years ago.
Unread 09-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #12
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

OP I guess the question here is WHY do you want 6" of lift? Is it to clear larger tires? There's guys running 37's on like 4" of lift with MetalCloaks or otherwise modified fenders. I've got the BDS 5" springs plus booms plus 1" daystar BL and I wouldn't want to go any higher. Shoot, if I had to do it again I'd probably just get their 3.5" spings and some MC, PS, or GR fenders and call it day.
Unread 09-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #13
Fozzybear42
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd92110 View Post
Plan on performing a 6" leaf spring lift, just wanted to see if anyone had any known issues with going up to this size. Based on what i have read so far looks like I am going to need a SYE and a CV-driveshaft to compensate for the height plus longer brake lines drop pitman arm. The kit comes with the pitman arm.

Here is the proposed kit.
http://www.extremeterrain.com/rough-...-yj-622n2.html

Its has 2" on it now so actually going up 4".
Also is it a good idea to do a body lift first or suspension lift first?
Just wondered what the best order of operations jeep upgrades should go in?

Thanks for your time.
Why do you want a 6 inch lift? I'm assuming it's to fit certain tires? If so, what size and why? What are you doing with your axles to support said tires?
Fozzybear42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #14
RCXTREME

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Michaelgoesrawr, show me where the shackle is in our 6in kit?
hmm, don't see it..
RCXTREME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 04:14 PM   #15
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCXTREME
Michaelgoesrawr, show me where the shackle is in our 6in kit? hmm, don't see it..

What a dick. Not good PR man.

I was wrong. It's happened before. At some point I remember a kit having a 2" shackle in it. Just assumed it was RC. Haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.