'88 YJ 5.3L Vortec Build Thread - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '88 YJ 5.3L Vortec Build Thread

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 02-07-2010, 01:21 AM   #76
vortec_YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj View Post
The wiring is the easy part. I would put the PCM on the driver's side fender like GM had it from the factory. It'll make routing the harness easier.
I put the PCM in mt dash on my YJ/5.3 swap. I never used the glove box on any of my YJs so I figured it would be a great way to keep it out of the elements)

vortec_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 08:25 AM   #77
fatwreck

Now that I see how much wire I have, I might be able to do that. Although, I would have to cut a bigger hole in the firewall to get those huge computer connectors through.

Last night I was thinking that mine would end up on the driver side fender.
fatwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #78
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec_YJ View Post
I put the PCM in mt dash on my YJ/5.3 swap. I never used the glove box on any of my YJs so I figured it would be a great way to keep it out of the elements)

A bit of info, the PCM is weatherproof.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 10:59 PM   #79
vortec_YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj View Post
A bit of info, the PCM is weatherproof.
You're brilliant . H20 I'm not concerned about. Rocks and crap hitting it on the trail, yeah I am. I don't run inner fenders on my tube fenders and have no intention of doing so. This leaves not too much room to mount the PCM...plus it just looks a lot cleaner and takes up a lot of the excess loom.
Unread 02-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #80
chadroc
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You're brilliant . H20 I'm not concerned about. Rocks and crap hitting it on the trail, yeah I am. I don't run inner fenders on my tube fenders and have no intention of doing so. This leaves not too much room to mount the PCM...plus it just looks a lot cleaner and takes up a lot of the excess loom.
If you like to get good advice on here, I suggest not insulting 1 ton. He's pretty knowledgable and gives quite a bit if good advice.

If you can get it cleanly tucked into the glove box, that would be a great place for it! Rather than cut a big hole in your firewall, why not run the wires from the inside out to the engine compartment?

I put mine in the same location as the factory 4.0, right below the brake booster on the firewall.
chadroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #81
fatwreck

I won't be doing that...not now at least. I didn't have enough forethought to put on the inside, so disconnecting everything just to route it through the firewall would be a lot of work that I don't want to do. I need to get this running.
Unread 02-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #82
vortec_YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadroc View Post
If you like to get good advice on here, I suggest not insulting 1 ton. He's pretty knowledgable and gives quite a bit if good advice.

If you can get it cleanly tucked into the glove box, that would be a great place for it! Rather than cut a big hole in your firewall, why not run the wires from the inside out to the engine compartment?

I put mine in the same location as the factory 4.0, right below the brake booster on the firewall.
Wasn't trying to be insulting at all so please don't take it that way guys. Thats the bad thing about text. Emoticons help a bit but sometimes when in a hurry things get worded a bit sharp. To clarify, I should have been more specific about what I meant in my post. My rig sees more trail time and lots of rocks, as such inner fender was not an option (mainly cause I don't run em).
Anyway, the glove box worked fine for my needs and yes, you got to cut a bit bigger of a whole to slide the PCM plugs sideways through.
Unread 02-09-2010, 05:44 AM   #83
fatwreck

Fabbed up my computer mount yesterday.

I drilled a couple of holes in cooling fins of the computer.

I then matched drilled some scrap brake formed angle I had sitting around.

I used some washed to take up the addition spacing to make sure I didn't break off one of the fins when I tightened the bolts down.

I ran out of time and didn't get installed, but I'll take care of that tonight.
Unread 02-09-2010, 07:32 AM   #84
vortec_YJ

I like it! That should look pretty clean.
Unread 02-10-2010, 08:40 AM   #85
fatwreck

I got the computer mounted last night. I bolted it to the inner fender on the driver side, right where the flat spot is.

I also started to plan on some of th wiring. I think the fuel pump relay will be next.
Unread 02-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #86
vortec_YJ

That looks good bud. Seeing all that available mounting room makes me miss those inners!

Last edited by vortec_YJ; 02-10-2010 at 10:11 AM..
Unread 02-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #87
fatwreck

Quote:
That looks good bud. Seeing all that available mounting room makes me miss those inners!
Before I mounted it, I looked around at the firewall and it just didn't look that fun. I probably could have moved the TAC module and put the computer there. The TAC module maybe could have gone directly behind the engine. I'm not sure. For now everything is out in the open with easy access. I just want to make sure it looks clean when I am finished.
Unread 02-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #88
vortec_YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatwreck View Post
Before I mounted it, I looked around at the firewall and it just didn't look that fun. I probably could have moved the TAC module and put the computer there. The TAC module maybe could have gone directly behind the engine. I'm not sure. For now everything is out in the open with easy access. I just want to make sure it looks clean when I am finished.
Well it does look clean. A buddy of mine mounted his PCM where you put your TAC.
Unread 02-22-2010, 10:58 AM   #89
73Dart
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I am studing and getting ready to wire my 90 TBI 318 and have been reading through your thread. I wasn't goint to remove all of the orignal 4.2 wires untill I saw how many would be left. Come next monday me, a pair of wirecutters, and some heat shrink are gong to become good friends. I cant wait to fire my v8 up the first time either. All I have left is the wiring and fuel pump and I should be good to go. Good luck with your build, and thanks for the info.

My motor swap thread
73Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 05:51 AM   #90
fatwreck

Here's $100 I wasn't planning to spend: 75 amp relays, 60 amp circuit breakers, fuse block, OBD II connector, and a ground bus that isn't shown.

I got most of the parts mounted last night and started to run the wires. I really don't have that many more wires to hook up. Although I haven't picked up my gauges yet.

This is really my first major wiring project. I think I have only hooked up one or two relays in the past...and wired one winch. I'm happy with how this is turning out.

I think the most time consuming part was planning out the wiring and figuring out what parts I needed. It definitely helped to draw the schematic ahead of time. I have mine in a .pdf if somebody wants it. Just send me a PM.

Obviously I still have some cleaning up to do, but it is getting there.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.