'88 YJ 5.3L Vortec Build Thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '88 YJ 5.3L Vortec Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 01-04-2010, 06:28 AM   #61
fatwreck

Yeah, lots of midwest surface rust and a half attempt at stopping it by the previous owner means that it doesn't look that great. It is really solid though. I had to drill through it for the rear shock mounts and weld to it for the engine mounts. Everything has been solid so far.

All of the parts can always be swapped over to something else, right?

fatwreck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 06:53 AM   #62
Jeepsr4me19
1976 CJ5 

Dont think this will last. I tried it once. They will crack apart. I found easiest thing to do was cut about 1/2 of the spring off and wrap the cable around the E brake actuator and clamp down with a cable clamp.
Unread 01-04-2010, 07:03 AM   #63
fatwreck

Yeah, I'm familiar with the "wrap the cable around" method. I did it on my last YJ and planned to go that route on this one. I cut half of the spring already and then decided to try this. I was actually really happy with how it turned out. I was able to get a really good bond while welding the parts. If it doesn't hold up, I'll cut the end off and wrap it around. The cables and adjustment on the frame side will work with either method.

Damn, you're throwing all kinds of negativity my way. What else do you have?
Unread 01-04-2010, 10:29 AM   #64
Jeepsr4me19
1976 CJ5 

Oh not neg just observations. I like what you got done. But if I slip and fall while walking up a hill, when I get up I will at least tell the guy behind me to watch his step.
Unread 01-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #65
fatwreck

That's cool. I try to do the same thing. I appreciate the input.

Anyone have any comments on how the exhaust was built? I have some concern about whether or not it will crack. It's all hard mounted except for the two rubber isolators at the muffler and one rubber isolator at the very end of the tail pipe (not shown in the photos). It just seems like there could be a lot of stress put on the crossover pipe when the frame flexes.
Unread 01-22-2010, 07:23 AM   #66
96liftedzj
2002 WJ 

dude..this is a sick build...i wanna do this so bad but 4,000 is just wayyyyy to out of my budget..i might be able to get a engine and tranny for free though so that would really cut my costs down...
96liftedzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 07:34 AM   #67
fatwreck

Thanks. With a free engine/tranny setup, you'll be much better off, but you'd still be looking at about $3k.

I'm heading over to the shop tonight to work on it some more. I'll try to get some pictures while I'm there.

The plan:
Install battery mount/battery
Repair driver side seat mount
Install tranny cooler
Install grill/fenders
Reconfigure the gas pedal (it's sitting too high right now)
Reconfigure tcase shifter (it's sitting too far back now that I moved the engine back about 4 inches)
Mount the TAC module and route the wires for the gas pedal
Fabricate a mount for the main computer

Then it will be on to the wiring.

Is anyone else as anxious as I am to hear this thing run?
Unread 01-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #68
96liftedzj
2002 WJ 

dude too bad you dont live in NY i would drive over and help you out...i love building and fabbing stuff...i plan on gutting my YJ of its 2.5L powerplant in the near future...maybe ill give it to the junkyard in return for some parts i need?? hmm..new axles perhaps? haha...
96liftedzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #69
for-play
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Excellent build, great pics and information. Keep up the good work.
for-play is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 07:44 AM   #70
fatwreck

I got most of the plan accomplished. I spent way more time on the tcase shifter than I would have liked, but that's what it took to get it right. At least now it is done.

Here's the Optima yellow top installed. I'm not sure how other people do this with the factory mount, but mine was a little jacked up anyway, so I modified it to work with the Optima:

This wasn't on my list, but I did get the intake wrapped up. It's pretty simple with just a 4" rubber elbow, the MAF, and a dry intake filter:

No pictures, but I did repair the seat mount, lower the gas pedal, and mount the TAC module. I'll probably end up taking a picture of the TAC just for reference.

Here's the tranny cooler mounted to the front of the radiator:

And the hard line routing on the frame:

That allowed me to put the grill in:

I think I am going to mount the computer to the driver side fender, but I didn't want to put the fenders on until I did more of the wiring. I think they will be in the way otherwise. I also didn't want to do that because I think the coolant overflow and windshield washer fluid bottles get mounted over there. Sometimes it isn't that fun to pick up someone else's project that you didn't take apart. You end up having no idea where stuff was supposed to go.
Unread 01-31-2010, 04:08 PM   #71
fatwreck

Here's the jeep wiring harness. I have to say I was pretty intimidated by the whole thing. It seems very overwhelming when you look at it and you don't have a clue where most of those plugs go.

A friend of mine came over and helped me figure out what was what by going through the pinouts and schematics. With his knowledge of wiring and my knowledge of the jeep....and a little patience...we were able to get it figured out.

This is the lighting/horn side of the harness.

This goes to the old 4.2 computer that was under the dash. It isn't needed anymore.

Most of this is sensors and what not for the old engine.

You do have to keep the starter relay setup and the main battery wires for the alternator. Those are in this picture....that nasty looking metal box and the small connector.

I think these are oil pressure and temperature sensors.

This is all the old junk we removed.

I think the jeep will be coming to my house sometime this week....then I can start working on installing the wiring. I have a feeling that is going to take me quite a while.
Unread 01-31-2010, 04:21 PM   #72
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The wiring is the easy part. I would put the PCM on the driver's side fender like GM had it from the factory. It'll make routing the harness easier.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2010, 06:15 PM   #73
livinloud777
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I bolted the truck fuseblock mounting bracket (trimmed up of course) to the firewall under the bulkhead connector and let the fuse block clamp into it. I mounted the pcm under it in the hole below. I just need to mount the windshield washer tank somewhere else. I also moved the radiator overflow tank. I think it looks good. Keep it up. The wiring is not that bad. I was scared of it to. It turned out ok. Lets see if I can help from memory. Find the pin on c1 for the power and crank signal input, c3 pin f1 for fuel pump relay output. the fuel pump relay output hooks to the fuel pump power line in the jeep bulkhead connector. I know there is more but it is not that much. I am assuming that you are using the truck fuseblock.
Unread 01-31-2010, 06:26 PM   #74
fatwreck

Nope...I don't have the truck fuse block. It wasn't given to me as part of the package I bought from the junkyard.

Right now it just seems overwhelming. The fuel pump and electric fans I'm not too worried about. I'm just not sure whether or not any of the interior stuff is going to work when I done...or things like brake lights and back up lights. I have no idea how I am going to give the back up light signal to anything or what I am even supposed to give it to. It's things like that that worry me. I feel like I have an overwhelming mental list of those sort of things.

That's why I just need to start it. It'll work out much better when I can pick off the items one by one.
Unread 02-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #75
fatwreck

The jeep made it back to my house at the beginning of this week. I didn't do much with it until this weekend though. I was mainly gathering parts for the wiring and figuring out my strategy.

Dad came over last night helped me finish plugging in all of the sensors. It's nice to have that part of the wiring done.

The only mistake I found in the harness so far was the driver's side O2 sensor plug location. Well, I'm not sure if it was a mistake or not, but they put it with the tranny plugs. That was WAY too far back for what I needed. My O2 sensors are right around the middle of the engine oil pan. So, we had de-loom a big part of the harness to pull that out of there. I thought about just splicing extra wire length in there, but decided that wasn't the right way to do it. You can see those loose wires coming out of the Vortec cap.

Here's where I decided to put the TAC module:

Dad made a coat hanger template for the radiator hoses and picked out a couple from the local parts stores. He brought them over with the jeep and gave me the, "I hope they fit...good luck". Gee...thanks.

Tonight I was able to get them installed. They ended up working out just fine. I can't say I'm super excited about the upper radiator hose going over the top of the intake...mainly because it looks funny...but I'm sure it'll be fine.

The lower hose is great. Here's the view from the passenger side.

View from the driver side.

I think I might try to install the heater core and heater next. I still don't know why the previous owner yanked all of that out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.