'88 YJ 5.3L Vortec Build Thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '88 YJ 5.3L Vortec Build Thread

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-30-2009, 10:48 AM   #46
Jeepsr4me19
1976 CJ5 

Can you get these measurements for future reference for me? Also how wide?

Unread 11-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #47
fatwreck

Yes, I should be able to have it this weekend.
fatwreck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #48
parkerm26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

wow wish i had the money, skills and garage space/lift to do this. Hopefully after college haha. Looks awesome man thats a heluva lotta work ill keep tuning in

Last edited by parkerm26; 12-02-2009 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: add forgoten words
parkerm26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #49
fatwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me19 View Post
Can you get these measurements for future reference for me? Also how wide?
A is 28", B is 28", and C is about 27"...C was a hard one to measure with the belly pan in.
Unread 12-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #50
fatwreck

A friend of mine, xj4life, made the 2 hour drive to help me out with the jeep...that was great. We made a lot of progress.

The engine mounts are done. I'm much happier with how these turned out. I wish I would have gone this route from the beginning.

We spent most of our time working on the exhaust. This is the first time I have ever built one of these. It's time consuming and somewhat complicated. It takes some trial and error...and you're hoping for not too many errors because the elbows and tubing cost a bunch of money.

I ordered most of my parts from www.mandrel-bends.com; although I ended up getting the O2 bungs and flanges (four of 2.5" and four of 3") on ebay to save a little bit.

I don't have many pictures from along the way, but here is what we came up with for the crossover.

We flexed it out before we finished welding it and made sure the driveshaft would clear.

The headers are from AA. If you are going to get these headers, I highly suggest that you buy flanges for them. They come with muffler clamps, even though the website shows flanges , but that would have been pretty ghetto.
Unread 12-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #51
tippmann243
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i have never had good luck with those flat connectors, i kept blowing gaskets.

dunno if you will have better luck or not. i bought some of these and have not had a leak since.

HEADER BUDDY
tippmann243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #52
fatwreck

Interesting...I haven't seen those before. I did ask around before I started and no one had any suggestions, so I went the flange route. The setup I bought did come with a spare gasket for each one, so I should have plenty of spares for changing when they blow out.
Unread 12-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #53
livinloud777
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome Job! I am still finishing up with the finish details on my build. I love it. You will be happy with the results. Plus it looks like you are putting the time in to do it right. The only thing I would change on mine is how the shop did the exhaust crossover. I am envious of yours. The shop dropped my ypipe 6 inched below the frame and the o2 sensors are exposed and waiting to be ripped off. As soon as the funds are in I am going to bring your picks to the shop and make them redo it. Good job.
Unread 12-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #54
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Exhaust came out good. I used gasket style collectors, haven't even had it out yet and already replaced 2 plus I had to use allen head bolts because I couldn't even fit a socket on the regular hex style bolts. Maybe next season I'll cut out the flanges and install v-band clamps. I used one to connect the tailpipe to the y-pipe and it works better with no gasket to blow out.

I have Hooker headers from Summit. They were missing the gaskets and hardware, and the flange on the driver's side was welded on upside down so I had to slot the middle bolt holes to get hardware in it. I aquired gaskets and hardware and made it work. I should have returned them but I ran the engine before I realized the flange was wrong, and thought they weren't supposed to come with hardware and gaskets. They do offer the best clearance of any headers I've seen for these engines, which is what I needed.

I ran mine with 2.5" tube around the front under the crank pulley to 3" due to clearance issues (linked tube buggy 10 lbs of crap in 2 lb bag, couldn't fit 3" between upper link and driveshaft) and then out the driver's side to a Moroso spiral core race muffler with a turndown. It's almost too loud (almost).

1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 05:31 AM   #55
HUNTER_DENTON07
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Great build. what radiator are you going to use?

HUNTER_DENTON07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 07:36 AM   #56
fatwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTER_DENTON07 View Post
Great build. what radiator are you going to use?
Thanks.

Well, I believe the one that was in it is a 3 core, so I'm going to start there with a Taurus fan and see how it goes. I'm already over budget, so I would really like to avoid buying a new radiator if I can.

In case anyone missed it, here is the spreadsheet for what this build has cost me...not including the axle swaps.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...RHU5d Xc&hl=en
Unread 12-23-2009, 05:36 AM   #57
fatwreck

The front axle has now been swapped out for one with 4.10s to match the rear. I just picked up the seal to swap it over to a one piece shaft. That should go back together without a problem.

I also wire wheeled the rust around the holes in the rockers and followed that up with some primer before I put the rocker guards on.

The next time I have a chance to work on it, I will probably finish up the front end and get the exhaust built to the muffler. I may have to wait until another time to do the tail pipe portion of the exhaust. It needs to be snaked around the gas tank and I don't think I have enough tubing to do that.
Unread 12-23-2009, 05:36 PM   #58
parkerm26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

just have the exhaust come out in front of the rear tire. it will look BA and you wont spend nearly as much on pipe. less bend = less back pressure = more pwer to an extent. just my .02c. build looks awesome man
Unread 01-04-2010, 05:58 AM   #59
fatwreck

I spent almost the entire holiday weekend working on this. It was a good time...and dad now has the shop set up to hold ~55 degrees when it is only 5 degrees outside. That's not bad.

The front axle has been converted over to a one piece shaft and a lock right was installed. I also put a block off plate in place of the vacuum actuator. It needs to be painted, but it's too cold to paint.

A majority of my time was spent working on the exhaust. There are a lot of challenges in building a decent setup. I think it turned out nice, but I still have a few concerns.

Here is where it goes up and over the belly pan from the crossover.

And out the back of the pan.

Here's the flowmaster 50 and the tail pipe.

Snaking around the gas tank.

And out the back.

I also got the rear shock mounts completed. I used MORE's upper mounts because I was too lazy to fab anything. I also used ruffstuff's lower mounts that came with my 8.8 install kit.

And I took care of the ebrake cable setup.

Finally, the passenger side rocker guard was installed.

I'm getting really close to moving back to my house and working on the wiring. I'm sooo ready to fire this thing up. I can't wait.
Unread 01-04-2010, 06:20 AM   #60
Jeepsr4me19
1976 CJ5 

Man that frame just looks bad to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.