'88 YJ 5.3L Vortec Build Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '88 YJ 5.3L Vortec Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 09-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #31
fatwreck

My Ruff Stuff Specialties 8.8 install kit showed up on Saturday, so I decided to take some time to strip the rear axle of its brackets. I think I could have sourced most of those parts from random places cheaper than buying the Ruff Stuff kit, but I was too lazy.

On a side note, I measure what the front driveshaft length should be and it's about 41". It just so happens that the factory YJ front driveshaft is also 41". Unfortunately, I think I will still be moving the engine back about 4", so it won't work out. That's ok...I pretty much planned on having to build a new driveshaft for the front anyway.

fatwreck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2009, 05:10 PM   #32
vortec_YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatwreck View Post
My Ruff Stuff Specialties 8.8 install kit showed up on Saturday, so I decided to take some time to strip the rear axle of its brackets. I think I could have sourced most of those parts from random places cheaper than buying the Ruff Stuff kit, but I was too lazy.

On a side note, I measure what the front driveshaft length should be and it's about 41". It just so happens that the factory YJ front driveshaft is also 41". Unfortunately, I think I will still be moving the engine back about 4", so it won't work out. That's ok...I pretty much planned on having to build a new driveshaft for the front anyway.
RuffStuff has some good stuff. That where I picked up my perches and my rear traction bar kit. I think moving your engine back is a good move. I'm not running the 5.3 fan but instead using a Taurus 2 speed fan and still am running a wee bit tight. Still a nice fit though. Its looking good man.
vortec_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2009, 06:44 PM   #33
fatwreck

I'll be running the taurus fan as well. It's already mounted to the radiator. We checked the fit when we set the engine, but I still think I should move it back.
Unread 09-21-2009, 06:53 AM   #34
jaywiz1977
1995 YJ Wrangler 

lol,my laziness and my cash flow seem to be directly dependant upon one another too! If the cash flow is good i get way lazy and buy kits,if I'm a broke mofo I'm also a master fabricator!
Looks good ,keep up the good work.

There are alot of different people in the world out of all of them,it's the normal ones that scare me the most!
jaywiz1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #35
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

My 6.0 had the harness cut at the tac box too. I got a connector pigtail from eficonnection.com. I just spliced it to the factory pigtail that came with my pedal. All the colors matched. There were two different tac modules in the truck motors, 01-02 and 03-07. The throttle bodies and pcm's match the tac modules so make sure you get a 03-07 module.

I had Jim's Performance trim down my harness, solder on my new tac pigtail and flash my PCM. Turnaround was quick, the harness came out great and the price was right, I highly recommed them.

Good to hear you're moving the engine back. You wouldn't have had enough room for a proper radiator and fan with it that far forward. Driveshafts are easy to lengthen and shorten yourself with basic fab tools. It makes no sence to build the rest of the swap around driveshafts.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #36
fatwreck

Quick update...

My harness should be at the house today. I'm a little disappointed with how long they took. It was 3 weeks from the day they received it until it was back at my door. Fortunately for me it didn't matter since I won't get a chance to work on it for a little while, but I would have been really bummed had I been ready for it.

A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine and I ditched the rear dana35 and set the pinion angle on the 8.8. I still need to weld the axle tubes and burn in the spring perches. I'm going to have to wait until I can flex it out to measure the shocks, but right now I don't think the ones I have will work.

I also managed to acquire a dana30 with 4.10s to match the 8.8. I'm not sure when I'll have time to install it. Right now I have other priorities. It'll probably be 1.5 weeks until I can work on this thing again.
Unread 10-31-2009, 01:07 PM   #37
fatwreck

I got the 8.8 put in. I still need to measure for shocks and figure out what I am going to do for shock mounts, but at least it is a roller again. I also need to redo the hard brake lines and figure out if the soft lines that came with the axle are going to work or not.

The rest of the time was spent pulling the engine to redo the engine mounts. I really needed to move the engine back about 4". That'll put the dipstick close to the firewall and give me much more room up front.

Plus, I was pretty embarrassed about how the old mounts turned out:

I removed them and cleaned up the frame rails:

The new mounts on the engine side:

The frame side will look like this. It's 1-3/4 .250 wall DOM with a bushing/sleeve welded to 2x2 .250 wall square tubing. Don't mind the blue. I found the square tubing in the scrap bin at work and I haven't taken the time to remove the paint yet.
Unread 10-31-2009, 01:29 PM   #38
shaggyjim
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks great Wreck! I cant wait to see it run!

"That's more fun than watching a hippie get mauled by a bear!"

"I love cats, I just can't eat a whole one!"
shaggyjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #39
tomwhysy
1987 YJ Wrangler 

lq9 ls1

Great job guys i did LS1 conversion myself and i totaly love it the power the drivebility and eficiency !!! check out my profile for pictures i also went 1ton axles and right now im chopping leafs out and 4 linking it but i never had to go thru FBW since my engine came from 99 TA WS6 and it has TB .
I did all wiring myself with help of mitchels1 wiring diagrams and it was little complicated for me doing it for a first time i would do it again it was great experience and i love the jeep I dyno it and i got 288 RWHP and 279 RWTQ it lifts front wheels of the ground and was braking leafs and driveshafts becouse of axle wrap my last truck had 4.8 in it and i put 280k miles on it before donating it , it was still running strong!!! jeeps R fun with extra power !!! good luck guys !!!
tomwhysy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #40
mitch_brown
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm cool with a 5.3, and the 8.8, but you are going to want a bigger front axle as well, even if you only wheel 2x a year, you don't want that thing breaking once a year.
mitch_brown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #41
fatwreck

When/if budget allows, they will both get swapped for something else. Right now I'm trying to keep the cost down and the functionality up, so the 8.8 and dana30 with 4.10s are going in.
Unread 11-10-2009, 07:24 AM   #42
Jeepsr4me19
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_brown View Post
I'm cool with a 5.3, and the 8.8, but you are going to want a bigger front axle as well, even if you only wheel 2x a year, you don't want that thing breaking once a year.
The 30 up front is a good to go axle. can handle 35's with little worry.
Unread 11-19-2009, 05:12 PM   #43
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm going to have to agree the 30 will not stand a chance between 35s and that motor if it gets really wheeled at all.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #44
fatwreck

It's only on 33s for now. If it breaks, it breaks. I know how to fix it and when the time is right, I'll upgrade.

The new engine mounts are done and the engine is now sitting 4" farther back than it was. I'm much happier now. I'll get some pictures soon.

Once the engine was set, I was able to finalize my ebay SYE/driveshaft order. I gave them the dimension and 2 days later it shipped. Sweet.

The next step is to build the exhaust. I ordered most of the parts on either ebay or Tube Bending & Fabrication - Columbia River Mandrel Bending. That'll happen on the 4th/5th of Dec. I have too many things going on between now and then to work on it.

I apologize for the lack of pictures lately.
Unread 11-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #45
chadroc
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Great thread! It looks like youre doing really nice work! You're going to love it! As far as that thirty goes..... I'm waiting for mine to blow. I keep hearing it's going to. I've wheeled it hard several times. I had the front tires off the ground and was still on the throttle hard when they landed. And still it works perfectly. That's with a 6.0, 4.88, and 37's. I will replace it when I can afford it, but now I'm pretty curious to see what it will take to destroy it!
Keep up the great work!
chadroc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.