'88 YJ 5.3L Vortec Build Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '88 YJ 5.3L Vortec Build Thread

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 09-10-2009, 10:09 AM   #16
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

This is getting better everyday!! I can't wait to hear it purr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #17
elephantrider
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatwreck View Post
It's been a little while since I read the info, but I think they weigh about the same. I can look it up if you really want to know.
nah, no problem.. just was curious if it was actually enough increased
weight to cause issues.
elephantrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #18
vortec_YJ

I always like the vortec builds. Looks like a clean install.
I mounted my 5.3/4L60e/STaK a bit further back and higher than yours and used the Advanced Adapter mounts instead.

Where are you planning on locating your computer. I figured since I never used my glove compartment, I would mount it in there. Also, who are you going to use to reflash the computer and modify the harness?
I used Jesse Bubb at www.Wait4meperformace.com
Price was great and it was great getting rid of all the Tahoe stuff that the YJ didnt need/use. Great build chief!
vortec_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #19
jaywiz1977
1995 YJ Wrangler 

nice!what fuel pump did ya end up using?

There are alot of different people in the world out of all of them,it's the normal ones that scare me the most!
jaywiz1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #20
vortec_YJ

I always get asked that question and regretably that is one item I forgot to write down the part # on. I'm sure it will give me hell when I have to replace it. I can say I got it from O'reilys. We just went through the book looking for any pumps with the proper specs and that was external of the tank. Mine looks very much like the one fatwreck is using.
Here is a pic.

If you have any other questions on mine, shoot me a PM. I'd be happy to answer all I can. I just don't want to hi-jack his thread.

Last edited by vortec_YJ; 09-10-2009 at 02:35 PM..
Unread 09-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #21
fatwreck

That's one thing I am doing with this...documenting both part numbers and prices (including tax/shipping) to get a good idea of how much this swap costs. Let me just say that the price of the engine/tranny is nothing compared to all the other parts.

My fuel pump is a E8248. There is a good fuel pump thread on here though if you want to read more:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/hi...ersion-645206/
fatwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #22
vortec_YJ

[QUOTE=Let me just say that the price of the engine/tranny is nothing compared to all the other parts.

[/QUOTE]

Its funny you say that. I have been dumping all my receipts into an acordian file and have been to chicken $h!t to assess the damage. One day me and Jack Daniels will get a total! LOL. My build wasnt just the swap though, it also included a stretch and 1 tons. I'm almost done with it finally. I'm down to the wiring (which I hate doing). Again, real clean looking build you got going.
Unread 09-15-2009, 05:33 AM   #23
fatwreck

I spent an hour last night doing this:

[rant] I'd really like to know who the people are that just sit around and try to figure out ways to keep automotive connectors from unplugging. I mean seriously...there are keys and clips and pushbuttons and all sorts of combinations of the three...how many variations do they need?! [/rant]

I've studied up on what it takes to rewire these engines to be stand alone on LT1 Swap. I know what my strengths are and wiring isn't one of them. So, I'm really leaning towards shipping the harness to Wait4Me Performance (thanks for the recommendation vortec_YJ). I called them yesterday and the girl that answered the phone was super nice and definitely knew what she was talking about. I have a couple more questions for them and I need to figure out what is up with the TAC module for the drive by wire, but I hope to get the harness shipped out this week.
Unread 09-15-2009, 09:18 AM   #24
vortec_YJ

Quote:
I spent an hour last night doing this:

[rant] I'd really like to know who the people are that just sit around and try to figure out ways to keep automotive connectors from unplugging. I mean seriously...there are keys and clips and pushbuttons and all sorts of combinations of the three...how many variations do they need?! [/rant]

I've studied up on what it takes to rewire these engines to be stand alone on LT1 Swap. I know what my strengths are and wiring isn't one of them. So, I'm really leaning towards shipping the harness to Wait4Me Performance (thanks for the recommendation vortec_YJ). I called them yesterday and the girl that answered the phone was super nice and definitely knew what she was talking about. I have a couple more questions for them and I need to figure out what is up with the TAC module for the drive by wire, but I hope to get the harness shipped out this week.
Yes...Hanna and Jesse are pretty knowledgeable about that stuff. Wiring is not my strong suite so I was more than happy to have them do it. Do you have a TAC module/pedal assembly already? Hopefully you got it from the donor vehicle. If yours is from a different vehicle, Id send them with the harness and he can determine if they are compatible. Mine was a PITA trying to get the right combo on my end but I finally worked it out.

Last edited by vortec_YJ; 09-15-2009 at 09:37 AM..
Unread 09-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #25
fatwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec_YJ View Post
Yes...Hanna and Jesse are pretty knowledgeable about that stuff. Wiring is not my strong suite so I was more than happy to have them do it. Do you have a TAC module/pedal assembly already? Hopefully you got it from the donor vehicle. If yours is from a different vehicle, Id send them with the harness and he can determine if they are compatible. Mine was a PITA trying to get the right combo on my end but I finally worked it out.
All of this stuff is really hard to learn up front. Now that I know what I know, I could have given the guys at the salvage yard a more complete list of what I needed.

When I initially had the engine pulled I told them to give me every piece of wiring he possibly could and any sensors that were attached to it. Well, they didn't give me the TAC or pedal assembly. Honestly, I didn't even know when I got my engine that it was DBW, so I didn't think anything of those parts. Well, a couple weeks later I called and asked for the pedal and anything that was attached to it. They gave me the pedal/sensor and cut the harness. I didn't think anything of that until this week when I started digging into the wiring part of this project. Now I know that I need the TAC too. Fortunately, the guy at the salvage yard has been super cool. He said he would pull it for me and also see if he has another vehicle with the harness that he cut...or at least he would give me the rest of that one, so I can splice it back together.
Unread 09-15-2009, 07:34 PM   #26
vortec_YJ

Quote:
All of this stuff is really hard to learn up front. Now that I know what I know, I could have given the guys at the salvage yard a more complete list of what I needed.

When I initially had the engine pulled I told them to give me every piece of wiring he possibly could and any sensors that were attached to it. Well, they didn't give me the TAC or pedal assembly. Honestly, I didn't even know when I got my engine that it was DBW, so I didn't think anything of those parts. Well, a couple weeks later I called and asked for the pedal and anything that was attached to it. They gave me the pedal/sensor and cut the harness. I didn't think anything of that until this week when I started digging into the wiring part of this project. Now I know that I need the TAC too. Fortunately, the guy at the salvage yard has been super cool. He said he would pull it for me and also see if he has another vehicle with the harness that he cut...or at least he would give me the rest of that one, so I can splice it back together.
LKQ (a large part re-seller) sent me 7 harnesses and each one was cut too. I did not want to use a spliced one put ended up having to do so. Make sure you get the right harness too. Different years had different wire counts and different plug ends on the pedal side. The Main harness plugs remained the same. Also, my harness has ground wires all over the place. Make sure you get each one grounded or else that sucker wont work (Dont ask but I know!). If you need to test that it is getting current the pink wire is your hot.
Unread 09-16-2009, 05:29 AM   #27
fatwreck

Thanks for all the info. I'll make sure I get the right harness. I gave him the year range for the interchange, based on the info from lt1swap.com.

More progress last night, but no pictures....sorry.

The fuel tank is back in. The soft lines are complete for the main and return lines at both the tank and the engine.

Also, the power steering pump is hooked up to the box. I was excited to find out that jeep and GM used the same fittings...do you know how easy that makes things?

I looked at the engine placement again last night. The passenger side mount, which is the one I am especially not happy with, interferes with the headers. So, I think to fix that and the engine placement, I will likely be pulling the engine out and making my own mounts the right way. Live and learn, right?

I also started to get an idea of where the DBW pedal assembly needs to go. There is a flange that is on the bracket where the steering column goes through the firewall. I need to grind that down to get the pedal assembly to sit flush. I'll probably work on that over the next couple of nights.
Unread 09-17-2009, 05:32 AM   #28
fatwreck

I mounted the DWB pedal assembly last night. I'm fairly happy with how it turned out. It ended up being a little too tall and a too far to the left, so I think I'll have to cut it, reshape it, and weld it back up again. That's just not on my priority list right now though.

Please disregard the old clutch pedal, which I still need to remove, and the lame pedal cover courtesy of the previous owner.

Unread 09-17-2009, 11:11 AM   #29
vortec_YJ

Your pedal is a little different from mine but if it helps visually, here is how I did mine. I had to cut of a lot of the original pedal arm and make it shorter. I made a mounting bracket out of flat stock and added an angle iron spacer on the bottom backside. The pedal mounts flat on the top but need a spacer on the bottom to deal with firewall contour.

Unread 09-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #30
jaywiz1977
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It's looking real good,mine was the 4.3L so no dbw for me but all the other problems that go along with a swap cropped up.I ended up with the craziest y-pipe that you have ever scene.I was going to post up the E8248 for the fuel pump but you guys beat me to it.I ended up using the stock pump out of the big plastic GM sender and it bolted right into the jeep sender!Modine makes the bare pump but can't find the damn part number.Good call on the wireharness as well,I do wiring for a living,and it was still a pita.If you have the stock(gm) vcm bracket it works well where the jeep pcm was with only slight mods to the bracket.Btw westers garage does a great job on the pcm reflash,and Lyndon is top notch at after sale service,diagnosed a few minor isses over the phone at 9pm(the phone rings his cell after hours)pm me for info.Will be staying tuned for more updates,and keep up the good work

There are alot of different people in the world out of all of them,it's the normal ones that scare me the most!
jaywiz1977 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.