88 YJ 4.2 auto "GI JOE" first time build. Where will this forum take me? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 88 YJ 4.2 auto "GI JOE" first time build. Where will this forum take me?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-15-2010, 05:53 AM   #76
justin816
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Long over due update......

Well it has been a little bit since I have added to my build. But, it has never stopped.
Currently I am in the middle of a XJ drivetrain swap. I purchased a 97 cherokee sport with 100k for $350 bucks. No tittle only bill of sale.
But,who cared ripping it apart anyways, Right?
Well I have decided to use the 4.0, AW4, transfer case and complete harness from the XJ. started out with just the motor. Then the more looking and pulling apart the more parts I found on GI Joe to be going bad.
I have started looking for axles to swap into Joe because I want to do the 102 wheelbase while I have the XJ here.
well I have my game plan and look forward to seeing what all can be salvaged from the cherokee. If you have any good tips or salvage ideas please let me know. Will be posting pics asap....

[COLOR="White"]TOW RIG=[/COLOR]
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn, ProCharger, Magna Flow, Cortex, Bullydog, AEM, 22" Boss, 456 gears, tons o audio!
There is only one question in life. Did I hesitate?

[FONT="Impact"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]Visit my 88 YJ, "GI JOE" build thread[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR="Olive"]][FONT="Impact"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12[/url] /88-yj-4-2-auto-gi-joe-first-time- build-where-will-forum-take-me-899 516/[/FONT]][/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1777673616""]
justin816 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 07:13 AM   #77
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the alternator swap if its the right alternator out of the cherokee would be missis friendly

and have you thought about just doing the head swap onto your rebuilt 4.2 instead of swapping everything? You could still do the aw4 and the transfer and get fuel injected at the same time without alot of work with wiring

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 10:52 PM   #78
justin816
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Finding the rats nest.

Well was pulling dash to install a main batery disconect. I found the nest. I guess over the years the PO had electrical issues or was bored. This thing is hacked up and wrapped in Duct Tape. So, with the complete XJ setting right there. I pulled out a tape, and started taking demensions.
When it was all saidand done. I realized I could transplant the complete harness and dash from the XJ. After using the search button. I realized no one has ever transplanted the dash. Atleast Google thinks it's never been done.
So I'm off to the wire diagrams and the forum to get some info before I start pulling everything. I plan on getting the dash mounted and wired into the yj in a couple of eavnings after work.
Guess you have to think on the positive side. Here goes wish me luck!!!!
I will take pics and try and start a thread on the dash swap if anyone is inerested.

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn, ProCharger, Magna Flow, Cortex, Bullydog, AEM, 22" Boss, 456 gears, tons o audio!

[FONT="Impact"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]Visit my 88 YJ, "GI JOE" build thread[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR="Olive"]][FONT="Impact"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12[/url] /88-yj-4-2-auto-gi-joe-first-time- build-where-will-forum-take-me-899 516/[/FONT]][/COLOR]

Unread 03-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #79
justin816
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The ultimate xj swap to YJ!!!

Well this all starte3d off as a basic motor swap. Sorry carb, just cant deal anymore. As I have posted the more and nore I got into GI Joe. the more I found needed attention. Being on the budget side I decided to use what i had.
That happened to be a low mileage 97 Cherokee Sport. I cant beleive How much bcan be swapped. Basicly the only things not being used are body parts. Here are some pics of whats all going on so far.
nerw bed coating
iphone-picsw-053.jpg
new top installed
iphone-picsw-059.jpg
made me a spare swing out carrier
iphone-picsw-060.jpg
YJ and XJ ready for transplant
iphone-picsw-067.jpg
Xj dash hung in place
iphone-picsw-094.jpg

Unread 03-17-2010, 12:49 PM   #80
youngYJ95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet! That is too cool
Unread 03-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #81
jgillespie
1991 YJ Wrangler 

what top is that? it's exactly what i have been looking for! awesome build up by the way! i'm jealous of the high-line fenders and the military look

Originally posted by Crazyquadder:
Quote:
a 6 foot puddle is approx half way up my doors
jgillespie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 03:26 PM   #82
SloppyJoseph
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It has been a while since you installed the Smittybilt winch. I am looking for a good winch to use when I get myself in a tough spot. I want the Superwinch EP9i but i am also looking at the smittybilt just for the price. What do you think man?
SloppyJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2010, 12:15 AM   #83
justin816
1988 YJ Wrangler 

smittybuilt

As far as the winch goes. I can't say enough good things about it. Good line speed eveything is intergrated in the control box. easy hook up. I have used it a lot to pull myself and friends out of pretty bad places. So far no complaints. I am in the process of designing a rear bumper to install one there.
The top I purchased through JC Whitney. The price is good and fit are perferfect. you have to tug and play a little to get it just right but for $160 bucks for everything. I can deal with tugging. lol
I have a lot of detailed pics of the dash swap if any of you guys are interested. It is probably the easiest swap I have done so far. Very little trimming and a couple of the dash mounts on the XJ dash lined up with the YJ dash mounts. Holds it in place while you fab up he other supports and column mounts. Well, easy if your pretty good at wiring. Just let me know. would be happy to lost all of them. Got lucky that night I did it. A friend had his camera and was pictuure happy!

Unread 03-18-2010, 12:23 AM   #84
sailmike83
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, just read this entire thread tonight.. VERY cool build. I guess I'm in the minority though as I actually liked the smurf blue. Keep up the updates!
sailmike83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #85
sprowley
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin816 View Post
As far as the winch goes. I can't say enough good things about it. Good line speed eveything is intergrated in the control box. easy hook up. I have used it a lot to pull myself and friends out of pretty bad places. So far no complaints. I am in the process of designing a rear bumper to install one there.
The top I purchased through JC Whitney. The price is good and fit are perferfect. you have to tug and play a little to get it just right but for $160 bucks for everything. I can deal with tugging. lol
I have a lot of detailed pics of the dash swap if any of you guys are interested. It is probably the easiest swap I have done so far. Very little trimming and a couple of the dash mounts on the XJ dash lined up with the YJ dash mounts. Holds it in place while you fab up he other supports and column mounts. Well, easy if your pretty good at wiring. Just let me know. would be happy to lost all of them. Got lucky that night I did it. A friend had his camera and was pictuure happy!
I would pay you to make a detailed well documented write up of the dash swap.

97 TJ Sport black on black with MT/R Kevlars and lots of new parts coming!

Canon EOS-1D Mark III, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-35/2.8L USM, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX USM

My Fuelly page (fuel economy and usage tracking)
sprowley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #86
youngYJ95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think an XJ dash write up is definitely in order. haha
Unread 04-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #87
youngYJ95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Is there going to be a write up?
Unread 08-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #88
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

so ya I had this lik bookmarked and just got looking was there ever a dash swap write up...?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2010, 08:38 PM   #89
TNGatorBrad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

We demand a dash swap write up!!!!
TNGatorBrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #90
1992 renagade
1992 YJ Wrangler 

So does anyone know if this swap got finished???

1992 black Renegade
4.0L 5spd. 4:10 gears 33x12.50 BFG KM 2's A to Z fabrication front and rear bumpers and cage
1994 YJ Sahara Project Bean
2000 Jeep Cherokee Stock
AtoZ Fabrications www.atozfabrication.com
Blue Mountain Jeep Alliance www.bmja.org
Delaware jeep Association www.delawareja.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Screw the HOA. More guys just need to start doing man things in the garage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Jeeps are like mistresses, they take all your money, but boy what a ride!
1992 renagade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.