88 wrangler wont start - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 88 wrangler wont start

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 04-23-2010, 07:50 PM   #16
shatteredsoul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Coil then? or burnt plug wire from coil to distributor? I think the standard is 1000 ohms per foot of plug wire which would tell you if the wires are bad.

shatteredsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #17
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Sounds like your Ignition Control Module isn't getting power.

IIRC, on the 2 wire connector to the ICM (under the washer bottle) the red wire is your 12V input in the run position of your ignition switch. The other wire is hot in the start position.

This is what powers up your module and provides power to the coil.

Do a google for "88 jeep ignition and starter wiring", there are schematics available free. You have to have the wiring diagrams to properly troubleshoot this, else you will be replacing parts that aren't bad, and may never find the problem if it is a bad connector or broken wire.

A multimeter helps, but you can do about all of this with just a test light.
Unread 04-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #18
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Just read your latest posts. If coil has power, the module has power. Check the other connector on the ICM, make sure it is clean and full of dielectric grease. Make sure the pins are all making good contact. Do the same for the 3 wire connector coming off the distributor.
Unread 04-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #19
photoboy74
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I had a similar problem after doing the TFI upgrade on my 88. For the longest time, I thought it was something major like the ICM, but it turned out to be the two wire connector on the coil. I purchased a new connector at the auto parts store when getting a new coil, and there was too much plastic on it to properly slide over the terminals of the coil for proper contact. The end result was intermittent failure when starting until it completely stopped working.

So, I suggest if you have power coming for the wire to the coil, pull the wires from the plastic connector and slide them directly on the terminals. If it starts up, there is the culprit (especially when you said you tried another coil). Then you just need to shave away some plastic for them to fit better.
photoboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #20
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88yj View Post
There is power to the coil but nothing after the coil.I check with a different coil and i got the same thing power to not after
cut the wires that go to the coil connector, and attach them directly to coil tabs(make sure they are clean).

Get a wiring diagram

I found this on a thread after doing a search, might be something to check as well, but you really need a diagram so you can stop guessing and troubleshoot correctly. Here's the post:

I just checked the diagram for an 88 jeep wrangler w/4.2 and it does have a pick up coil in the distributor. there should be three wires comming out of the dist. follow them to the connector unplug it. if the connector is all crappy you may have found the problem, if not carefully put the voltmeter leads in the conector (one lead in the orange wire hole and one in the violet it doesn't matter which). DON'T woller out the hole so the leads will stay on their own. set the voltmeter on AC voltage and crank the engine. if it makes voltage move on to something else if it doesn't replace it.

don't for get to check power and ground to the modules. be careful module cant handle much amperage. analog voltmeter not a good idea, test light not a whole lot better, digital voltmeters don't allow much curent to flow through them and will prodent the module so use them if posible.

Found that info here:

88 4.2L ignition module test - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

I'll edit my post if I find you a diagram

Not a diagram, but a lil help:

http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew...ngdiagrams.asp

Okay, I think there is a diagram in this pdf that will help. It includes years 87-94, the year is at the bottom of each page.

http://iwantajeep.s3.amazonaws.com/w...ams-copy-1.pdf

Last edited by monkeyhouse; 04-24-2010 at 01:15 PM..
monkeyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #21
88yj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just checked i got spark it gets gas the spark plugs look good what else could it be still wont start.
88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #22
88yj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ok i just went out and sprayed starting fluid in the carb and it started right up so i shut it off 3-4 times and it started right back up.I let it run for 10 min and then it just died.Now im back to not getting any spark except when u first start cranking it sparks once and when i stop cranking it sparks once is that the ignition control module
Unread 04-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #23
dtn8tr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If it started up with the starting fluid then you are getting spark! The issue sounds more like a fuel delivery issue. Get a Haynes or chilton manual and it tells to how to do a volume check on your fuel pump.

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 05:51 PM   #24
88yj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It gets fuel it just went back to not getting spark again
Unread 04-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #25
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88yj View Post
It gets fuel it just went back to not getting spark again
will it start every time you use starter fluid? It is sounding like a fuel delivery issue if it started on starter fluid, but if it ran for 10 minutes, that doesn't explain much, because the starter fluid should burn up in a few seconds. I'm no expert here, but maybe this is a mixture or vacuum issue? Possibly combined with other issues(spark). You really need some good troubleshooting steps. A good shop manual would be your best investment. But even if you can't get one, there are several people on this forum who are much more knowledgeable than me at troubleshooting these systems and of course several who have shop manuals who can help you out.
Unread 04-26-2010, 02:44 PM   #26
88yj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

No it will not start every time with starting fluid.And it gets fuel but i have no spark again.Iwas just wondering if when the icm gets warm if that can be my problem for not getting spark
Unread 04-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #27
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You get power to the coil and spark when you turn the key to start and then it goes away, it sounds like the ignition switch is losing contact when it sprinds back. You need to measure the voltages on the switch under the steering column whe its giving the problem. It matches the symptoms you have decribed almost to a T.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 11:56 AM   #28
88yj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I changed the ignition control module and that fixed my problem so far drove it for 4hrs today thanks for all the help
Unread 04-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #29
dtn8tr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Kewl...must have been all the cheese in it...lol j/k from the other side of the river.

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #30
shatteredsoul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Glad you got her all straightened out, happy jeepin once again.
shatteredsoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.