88 wrangler wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 88 wrangler wont start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 04-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
88yj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

88 wrangler wont start

I Have a 88 wrangler with 4.2 with 2100 carb and juice box .Now the problem is it will crank over but will not start.I changed the starter relay and it started one time now it will not start again .When i turn the key on i do not have no power to the prongs on the starter relay.

88yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
shatteredsoul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It may not be this but I had a very similar problem with my 88. It ended up being the ignition control module, I replaced it and put in a reman distributor. I would always start small with issues like this though like checking fuses, wires, grounds,fuel, spark etc. I cant count how many times Ive seen the simplest thing keep a car from running. Also the ignition control module is notorious for going out on these YJs. Mine ran fine then died about 5 times coming home from work one day and wouldnt start again. If your YJ isnt nuttered Id do that but it sounds like it probably is if it has the MC2100 and juicebox.
shatteredsoul is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
88yj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

IT is not nuttered yet. I guess my question is what make the starter relay work.When i had power to the prongs after i changed it the jeep started right up now i have now power at the relay again
Unread 04-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88yj View Post
IT is not nuttered yet. I guess my question is what make the starter relay work.When i had power to the prongs after i changed it the jeep started right up now i have now power at the relay again
You really should do the nutter bypass, very inexpensive to do and your carb will run much better anyway. If your problem is computer related, it may help that as well.
Unread 04-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
shatteredsoul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Could it be the fusible links that bolt onto the starter relay? Also I found a way to nutter my newer un-cut harness without cutting a single wire which also kept me from voiding my warranty on my new ignition control module since it has a lifetime warranty. Are you checking everything with a multi-meter or light to try and trace down any wiring issues.
Unread 04-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
88yj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Im useing a light. Where is the ignition control module located and is there a way to test it
Unread 04-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #7
jcooklock
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatteredsoul View Post
Could it be the fusible links that bolt onto the starter relay? Also I found a way to nutter my newer un-cut harness without cutting a single wire which also kept me from voiding my warranty on my new ignition control module since it has a lifetime warranty. Are you checking everything with a multi-meter or light to try and trace down any wiring issues.
definatally check these. Mine just quit on me one day and it took me a week and $200 to finally find what was wrong. Damn fusible links!!
by JDNightFox - The terminal velocity of the square headlights is directionally preportional to the force of gravity decelerating the front wheels while the alternator is spinning at 3000 rpm's, minus the friction of the bumper pushing against the airflow with the 13 volt current the steering column is using during the time the vacuum motor is disengaged, but the mirrors must be directionally angled from the driver's window because the hood latches deflect the light refractioning down through the Nitrogen coat on the hood.
jcooklock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
shatteredsoul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The module is under the coolant reservoir bottle on the drivers side, its bolted to the inner fender and has 2 connectors on it. I have heard you can take it to Advance, Autozone etc and have it tested for free but I didnt do that. I just took a guess and basically had the Zone order me a new one along with the distributor since they didnt have either in stock. They were both a little over $100 and came with lifetime warranties. I couldnt believe how wore old my ol factory Motorcraft dist. was when I took it out. Jcook the fuseable links is the reason I replaced my whole under hood harness with one that was un-cut, stupid PO had cut them out for some glass type ones like on a car stereo and that had literally melted the glass fuse into the plastic. Its not a wonder why my poor jeep didnt start or run right, but hey Im slowly getting there one piece at a time.
Unread 04-23-2010, 07:14 PM   #9
88yj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I checked all the fuseible links they are all good. I did the nutter bypass and it still wont start.When i turn the key on i do not get power to the starter relay prongs.does the ignition control module have anything to do with that getting power
Unread 04-23-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
shatteredsoul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Could be the actual ignition switch under the steering column which would keep it from getting juice down to the starter relay. Not sure though always start small with fuses, grounds etc.
Unread 04-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #11
88yj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I there a way to bypass that by push botton or something.I checked all the fuses and i have power to everything lights,radio ect
Unread 04-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #12
shatteredsoul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You could if that was the issue but I wouldnt, I would replace it with a factory replacement. There is a rod that runs from where the key is down to it switch. When my ICM went out I thought the switch was bad but it wasnt. There is some topics about it on here somewhere, Id search, test it , and go from there.
Unread 04-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #13
88yj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Would it be that switch if the starter cranks
Unread 04-23-2010, 08:36 PM   #14
shatteredsoul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If the starter is turning over then it shouldnt be the relay, check for fire coming out of the coil and into the distributor. If you have spark there them pull a plug wire and see if you are getting spark at the end of the wire, If you are getting spark there then its a fuel/air issue. Use a plastic handle screwdriver to easily check for fire just dont touch the metal part and dont do it long just have someone help you bump it over a few times.
Unread 04-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #15
88yj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

There is power to the coil but nothing after the coil.I check with a different coil and i got the same thing power to not after

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.