88 jeep yj automatic transmission?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 88 jeep yj automatic transmission??

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-22-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

88 jeep yj automatic transmission??

i was looking at this 88 yj for sale that was an automatic transmission. i believe for that year they only had a 3 speed -correct me if im wrong- i was wondering how good of a transmission this is and how it handles at high speeds like on the highway. i would like to know the rpm range it gets at like 65+ mph. this would also be my daily driver so i dont want to work the engine that hard every day and ill also ride the occasional trail and it will see the beach alot. i would prefer the standard transmission but i dont have the money to swap it out at this time. hope yall can help me out

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/motorcraft-carb-swap-961766/[/url]
beachedjeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
yellow2kgt
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, you are correct it is only a 3 speed. However, it is a very durable transmission. Depending on the gearing it should be OK for highway driving. I re-geared mine to 4.10s and now it tachs about 3000 at 60( It has been a few years but I want to say it was spinning around 2500 at 65 when stock.) A little high for my likes but most all of my driving is on local roads unless I am heading to the trail.
Howell EFI, BDS 3.5" lift, M.O.R.E 5/8" Boomerang shackles, 1" Daystar BL, 1" JKS MML, TFI, Crager soft 8s w 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, Dana 30 E-Locker, Terra Flex SYE, Tom Woods CV shaft, Warn M8000.
yellow2kgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for answering my questions, that much rpms for a 3 speed is pretty good in my opinion, ive been driving my parents saturn vue that is a 5 speed manual but only a 4 banger and in 5th gear at 65 it gets the same rpms as the 3 speed. im going to check it out this weekend and hopefully get it, so ill be on this forum alot!

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/motorcraft-carb-swap-961766/[/url]
beachedjeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.