88 jeep yj automatic transmission?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 88 jeep yj automatic transmission??

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 10-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

88 jeep yj automatic transmission??

i was looking at this 88 yj for sale that was an automatic transmission. i believe for that year they only had a 3 speed -correct me if im wrong- i was wondering how good of a transmission this is and how it handles at high speeds like on the highway. i would like to know the rpm range it gets at like 65+ mph. this would also be my daily driver so i dont want to work the engine that hard every day and ill also ride the occasional trail and it will see the beach alot. i would prefer the standard transmission but i dont have the money to swap it out at this time. hope yall can help me out

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/motorcraft-carb-swap-961766/[/url]
beachedjeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
yellow2kgt
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, you are correct it is only a 3 speed. However, it is a very durable transmission. Depending on the gearing it should be OK for highway driving. I re-geared mine to 4.10s and now it tachs about 3000 at 60( It has been a few years but I want to say it was spinning around 2500 at 65 when stock.) A little high for my likes but most all of my driving is on local roads unless I am heading to the trail.
Howell EFI, BDS 3.5" lift, M.O.R.E 5/8" Boomerang shackles, 1" Daystar BL, 1" JKS MML, TFI, Crager soft 8s w 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, Dana 30 E-Locker, Terra Flex SYE, Tom Woods CV shaft, Warn M8000.
yellow2kgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for answering my questions, that much rpms for a 3 speed is pretty good in my opinion, ive been driving my parents saturn vue that is a 5 speed manual but only a 4 banger and in 5th gear at 65 it gets the same rpms as the 3 speed. im going to check it out this weekend and hopefully get it, so ill be on this forum alot!

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/motorcraft-carb-swap-961766/[/url]
beachedjeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.