88 jeep shuts off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 88 jeep shuts off

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 06-17-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
Toocrazy2care38

88 jeep shuts off

my 1988 jeep has a 258 6cylinder and t-5 tranny. it has some electrical problems but other than that the only problem is that when it reaches 3500RPM's the engine wants to shut down. it only does it when in gear, does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Toocrazy2care38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe ignition control module???? That's only a guess with the limited info.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
Toocrazy2care38

what more info do you need? it only does it when its in gear. i van put it in neutral and rev it up and it wont do it but in any gear it will.
Unread 06-18-2008, 03:36 AM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toocrazy2care38 View Post
what more info do you need?
Fill out your profile. Is is a stock engine? Has it been Nuttered? Do you have a different distributor setup, HEI or TFI? All of these may have some effect. For starters a bone stock 258 is going to want to run at 3500 rpm, it don't like to be above 3K. Read up on the "Nutter Bypass" and try that.
Unread 06-18-2008, 06:41 AM   #5
YJ Rider
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same thing until I did the nutter, especially the part about replacing the advance spring on your distributor. That will change your RPM range and allow you to use the rest of your tachometer your Jeep has never used.
Unread 06-18-2008, 10:22 AM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Also, I should have been more specific before.... It's not so much the 258, but the stock carter carb that's your limiting factor. Again, research the Nutter Bypass.
Unread 06-18-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
Toocrazy2care38

i was going to put a new weber carb with a carter 2 barrel... whould that help?
Unread 06-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
YJ Rider
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I did that and while it was an improvement it did not help in that department. The nutter with the TFI upgrade is the best advice I can offer for that issue and would recommend it to anyone with a carb'ed YJ
Unread 06-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #9
TorqueWrench87
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I had that problem with my jeep.. I did the nutter bypass and got a new ignition module and it fixed it. I still would like to upgrade the carb to a weber for better performance.
Unread 06-18-2008, 10:25 PM   #10
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toocrazy2care38 View Post
i was going to put a new weber carb with a carter 2 barrel... whould that help?
To do this you will have to do the Nutter Bypass. I can't say it anymore than I already have, RESEARCH THE NUTTER BYPASS.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.